What book made you angry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What book made you angry?

Post by Manang Muyang »

lily_kh87 wrote:Anything by Franz Kafka makes me angry! :evil:
You mean angry with Kafka or angry with the villains and suffering he wrote about?

I just learned that Kafka had a domineering father and his unhappy youth influenced his life decisions and writings. He never married and died of tuberculosis at 40. It's even a wonder his books got published because he ordered his friend Max Brod to burn all his work when he died. The friend defied Kafka and so we have his books which are celebrated to this day.

I must confess I have yet to read Kafka though. But I don't have the energy to get angry right now haha.
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

A Boy Called It.... only because I was so angry severe child abuse like this could still occur. I read this book years ago, and just this week while on a walk with my Aunt, this book came up. I'm glad I read it, but it's the book that stands out for me, how angry I felt at the mom, dad, society, etc, and the terrible abuse this child had to go through.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

While in university, I was required to read Night by Elie Wiesel. I know the holocaust was awful, but I just wish I had not read the book. If I had known ahead, I would have dropped the class or should have just taken a failing grade for not reading the book. The book was so graphic that I was sickened by the smell of bacon for years.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

cstegmil wrote:A Boy Called It.... only because I was so angry severe child abuse like this could still occur. I read this book years ago, and just this week while on a walk with my Aunt, this book came up. I'm glad I read it, but it's the book that stands out for me, how angry I felt at the mom, dad, society, etc, and the terrible abuse this child had to go through.
I cried constantly as I read that book. Over and over. And like you, I felt quite a bit of anger.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Game of Thrones. Every. Single. One.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

So, I've got 2:
I read Randy Love...At Your Service by Shay Carter for a review on here and it mad me angry. Mostly I think because the lead character's personality just sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I commend authors who can do that- make you feel so strongly and passionately about their characters or their stories. I can't say I have a read a lot of books that make me angry. If you want to check out my review of it and why it moved me so, the review has been published here so you could be able to find it under my name.

The only other book to ever make me mad was Fairest of Them All by Carolyn Turgeon. It's a fairytale retelling of Rapunzel and Snow White, and it is definitely a dark, twisted retelling with some incest and abuse and it just elicited a really angry response from me. Mostly because I didn't like how they portrayed some of the characters, and the whole incest thing kind of did it in for me. I won't spoil it for you if you decide to read it, but I was really shocked at how much I disliked it since I read other books by the same author and liked them.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

"The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks.

I am not a fan of Sparks' books, but this one came recommended by a friend. I actually was really enjoying the story and ended up saving the last few chapters for after my daughter went to bed at night so that I could read them without distraction. But, typical gloomy Sparks struck again and the last few chapters were horrible. I felt like he had a choice in endings and he went with the one that would tick off his readers. It seemed unfair to have devoted so much time to the book only to have it end the way it did. I was very unhappy and have vowed not to read any of his books again.
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

The Arranged Marriage by Katie Epstein is currently making me angry. The love interest isn't sympathetic at all and he is a hypocrite. He gets angry at his bride for keeping secrets when all he excludes her from plans for their kingdom at ever turn. Also, despite them being king and queen, they have a lot of free time to read to village children.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

There was this German children's book by Irene Zimmermann called Miss Edison something something, that was translated to Estonian and it had this lovely inviting colorful cover that just promised to be such a fun read. And when I read it as goodnight story to my kid, it turned out to be a book full of nasty heavy bullying that was never addressed and the main character got smacked in the face by stepdad as just part of the everyday life like this was all normal and so on...
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

Mailis wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 04:15 There was this German children's book by Irene Zimmermann called Miss Edison something something, that was translated to Estonian and it had this lovely inviting colorful cover that just promised to be such a fun read. And when I read it as goodnight story to my kid, it turned out to be a book full of nasty heavy bullying that was never addressed and the main character got smacked in the face by stepdad as just part of the everyday life like this was all normal and so on...
Wow, that sounds awful. I hate it when abusive behavior like that is treated as normal instead of unacceptable.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

A specific moment from 'It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover' made me angry.
Amna Khalid
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

There was this book I read many years ago that made me so angry that I stoped reading. It made me lose faith in reading. That was so silly. I changed the ending part of the sad pathetic story. I can't remember the title of the book.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

It was Norwegian Wood by Murakami for me. The treatment of women characters was just infuriating to me.
Riana V 3
Favorite Book: Blood Song
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riana-v-3.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Riana V 3 »

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. The ending just infuriated me. Right from the start, you expect this book to be heartbreakingly sad and it was, but that twist at the end completely threw me. I was in a rage for days after finishing the book.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

The Maestro Monologue.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”