What book made you angry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DeliriumReader
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deliriumreader.html

What book made you angry?

Post by DeliriumReader »

One book that made me angry was the last book in theHunger Game series. The ending made me feel like I invested in a story that was, at the point of finishing the series, irrelevant. What made me even more angry was the fact no one else had read it yet, so I had nobody to discuss it with. It was a very lonely experience in my book reading experience.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

'Gone Girl' was that book for me. It was so hyped up and I wondered what I was missing. I thought all the characters were repulsive and didn't like any of them. I kept waiting for there to be something - anything - satisfying and redemptive and there was nothing. I wanted to throw the book across the room when I was done because I was so angry. My walking/running partner and I often discuss books together. She hated 'Gone Girl' too, so at least we were able to commiserate together.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
AnnelizeDW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnnelizeDW »

It's very rear that I get a book that can get me to the point where I feel like I can hurt the characters. The only book that got me so mad that I was actually arguing with the characters as I read the book (my husband thought it was very funny) was Oceans apart by Karen Kingsbury. O my, Karen really know how to write her stories and to keep her readers on edge, because I got really really mad at the "stepmother" for being so horrible to the little boy, I can understand that she felt hurt and every thing, but to take things out on the little one when it's not his fault that the adult did wrong is not right at all. My heart went out to the little boy, cause he really had a hard time, but everything worked out in the end.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

To be honest, there was only this one book that truly got me mad. I don't even remember the name, since I ditched the book that fast. It was about this white girl who ends up in an Australian town where she is supposed to meet her best friend, the best friend who was visiting some place nearby. But this white girl ends up getting framed for murder without having anything to do with it and starts getting hated by the townsmen without any reason! :oops2:

I couldn't stand the injustice, so I ditched the book.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
DeliriumReader

Post by DeliriumReader »

AnnelizeDW. Any book with any type of abuse, infuriates me. Especially if it's a woman putting up with abuse. I try not to read too many things that have children being mistreated as I cannot handle it.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

The Divergent Series and Twilight Series were books that made me angry. I liked each series until the last book for both of them. I just did not enjoy the entire series due to how they ended.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
DeliriumReader

Post by DeliriumReader »

Shelle. I watched the movie Gone Girl before I even knew there was a book. I have a hard time believing people like that exist. I am sure they do exist, but, to me, it's not feasible.

I read another book by Gillian Flynn calling Dark Places and although the author is a great writer in the technical perspective, that book was so dark and so disturbing I'm actually afraid to read anything else by her.

-- 10 May 2016, 00:25 --

Loverockers. I can even deal with anything of injustice. I don't blame you, I would have ditched the book also.

-- 10 May 2016, 00:29 --

Imoses. I haven't read the Divergent series, yet.

What made me angry in the Twilight series is how bossy and seemingly controlling Edward was to Bella. I was angry at Stephanie Meyers for teaching young girls that controlling was protecting. It's a fine line to walk on for a guy, but I thought girls should be taught to recognize the difference, and not have it romanticize.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

DeliriumReader wrote:Shelle. I watched the movie Gone Girl before I even knew there was a book. I have a hard time believing people like that exist. I am sure they do exist, but, to me, it's not feasible.

I read another book by Gillian Flynn calling Dark Places and although the author is a great writer in the technical perspective, that book was so dark and so disturbing I'm actually afraid to read anything else by her.
Thanks for the heads up. I won't add that one to my reading list either.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
naifahuzlah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naifahuzlah.html

Post by naifahuzlah »

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell was the book that made me angry. I expected a lot more than what Rowell wrote as an ending, although I know I shouldn't, because that book is full of surprises. And I think lots of people that have read the book would agree with me, no wonder I've seen a lot of people asking for Rowell to make a sequel to it.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

One book that made me angry was Love in the Time of Cholera by Garcia Marquez Gabriel. I enjoyed the first part of the book but the last part and the ending made me so frustrated. The main character is supposed to be viewed as a devoted lover but instead he comes off as a selfish, crazy man. Also women are not exactly depicted in a good light in this book, which is very disappointing because I heard a lot of good things about this book so I was expecting something totally different.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Anything by Franz Kafka makes me angry! :evil:
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

**Spoiler Alert** "Bag Of Bones" by Stephen King. I became so taken by the story of a widowed author's budding romance with a young mother who was half his age, that I almost couldn't finish reading it when the young woman was killed in a drive-by shooting. Bravo to Stephen King for making a reader (me) fall in love with one of his characters, only to have her killed.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Pillars of the Earth. The thing is started out so good that I thought I was absolutely going to love it. That feeling didn't last for very long, because the focus of the book becomes this annoying, know-it-all genius. Then the plot became repetitive like a serialized TV show that's doing the same thing every episode. Then you throw in the anti-religious rhetoric and some obvious historical blunders, and it's a wonder I even finished this book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Sarah_Khan wrote:One book that made me angry was Love in the Time of Cholera by Garcia Marquez Gabriel. I enjoyed the first part of the book but the last part and the ending made me so frustrated. The main character is supposed to be viewed as a devoted lover but instead he comes off as a selfish, crazy man. Also women are not exactly depicted in a good light in this book, which is very disappointing because I heard a lot of good things about this book so I was expecting something totally different.

I would have to agree with you. Overall, I enjoyed the book but the ending was frustrating. I think the portrayal of women, though, was typical of the period the story was written about. That doesn't make it right but probably more accurate.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I can't remember the name of the book, but the beginning part of it was pretty great. However, once it got to the ending, I was completely blown away with how awful the ending was. I was so angry at how I wasted my time in reading a book that had a bad ending.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”