Does Weather Affect When You Read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Does Weather Affect When You Read?

Post by Jmteachmom »

I do love to read on a rainy day! Of course sitting on the porch on a sunny spring day is always good too. I guess I could read in any weather. :lol: I do believe if I could just get the world to stop demanding my time I would use it all to read.
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

I think I like to read during the rain because it's a slight distraction, but not enough to actually stop me from focusing. It helps me feel less like I'm studying and read at a relaxed pace. I often play quiet wordless music for the same reason.

I also find that I read less when it's cold. It's harder to find a good reading position when you're also trying to stay under covers, and I just don't want to think as much when I'm cold. I tend to just watch a movie instead.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like winter daytime reading the best, or rainy day reading. There's something about curling up with a blanket and cup of tea or cocoa and reading!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Not really. I do find myself wanting to read more on rainy days but I'll read on sunny days to. I do find I prefer to read in a dark room, either by closing the blackout curtains or simply reading at night.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love reading no matter how the weather is, but different weathers tend to influence my reading choices. A stormy cold dark day or evening certainly calls for a horror story or a thriller, a pleasant and lazy summer afternoon for a romance or any character-driven story, a bright and sunny morning for a non-fiction or a science fiction! But the 'currently reading' list does not always coincide with the favoured weather..so, well..!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I haven't noticed any change in my reading habit caused by weather, except if there is a black out which I will blame on the power lines and not the weather.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I feel you, mate! If you give me winter or a rainy or cloudy day, I bet I can read the entire library in one go :lol2: There is something about cold weather that makes me read more than usual but otherwise, any weather is good if what I am reading is good :techie-studyinggray:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm from New York where it snows a lot and your trapped inside almost all winter. I read a lot more then and I tend to read outdoor adventure hiking books. Same goes for if it's too warm outside then I stay inside and read books.
meisnor9955
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meisnor9955 »

Yes, yes, yes! I have always noticed that once autumn really starts to cool down, winter begins, or if its raining then I'm probably 70% more inclined to read. It might just be because I am a very active person outdoors in the summer and spring (mostly with gardening, going to the beach, kayaking, fishing, etc.) so I don't actually sit down and stop to read. I could never get into reading while at the beach, or while sitting outside really. I think there are just too many distractions. I feel guilty if its a beautiful day out and I'm not outside doing something. In the winter however, nothing beats sitting down with the fire going while its snowing and reading. I can read 1-4 books a week in the winter, but the summer its difficult for me to get through 2 books in a month. I also like to read books that, if the setting is heavily reliant on the weather/season, the weather matches the weather I'm experiencing.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I wouldn't say the weather affects my interest to read, but rainy days or snowy days make me want to forget everything else and curl up on the couch with a nice beverage, and that's a great time to read.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I'm the same way! When it's raining outside, there's nothing better than a good book and a cup of coffee/hot chocolate. I also like to read when it's overcast and chilly outside.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

For sure! When it's a nice sunny day, I'm hesitant to read because other things need to be done, but if it's cold, cloudy, or rainy that is perfect reading weather!
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

It only really changes where I read. In the summer, I love to go out to a park near my library and read outside on the grass. I can finish whole books in one sitting that way. When there's precipitation, I check out tons of books at a time so I can read as much as I want without having to venture outside to rotate books.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I tend to fall in with others enjoying the cold weather with a good book. Although, I can read in any kind of weather. If the electricity is blown due to a storm I have plenty of candles and it would not bother me a bit.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think it depends more on my mood rather than the weather. When I am sick or tired and lazy, I just wat to curl up and read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”