Shakers and Makers

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lucinda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Shakers and Makers

Post by Lucinda »

Who's reading Shakespeare these days: what and why?
My little online survey.
therewaseden

Post by therewaseden »

Well, the last time I was forced to read Shakespeare was at uni about 4 years ago, so maybe it's time to re-read. I really like A Midsummer Night's Dream, Taming of the Shrew, and Measure for Measure.
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Thankyou therewaseden. How did you go understanding the language therein? You say you studied Shakespeare at uni. Did you have any preparation for such study? What course were you studying that lead to your studying Shakespeare at Uni?
Faythe

Post by Faythe »

Interesting question.

Thinking back on Shakespeare, I really can't think of any current authors that I would equate to him. I believe that good ol' Willy had perfected the art of tuning into raw human emotion and writing it in such a way that it could be felt; not explained, over simplified, or exaggerated.

Most of the time, I read books and feel that the author is too preoccupied with getting us to identify with the main character that they spend more time convincing us of the person's character and personality than they are simply telling us the story.

I recently read The Apple's Bruise by Lisa Glatt, and feel that she is quite talented in this as well. She is, however, no Shakespeare.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”