I WANT A MASTERPIECE!!!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
erebos92
Bookshelf Size: 0

I WANT A MASTERPIECE!!!

Post by erebos92 »

Oke guys!!Here's a new subject for your eyes only!<3:
I'm taking exams and i don't have much time. However, I'd really like to read a nice book. I'd love it to be sth modern and maybe romantic, but I'm not the kind of person that's addicted to "twilight" or stuff like that. Just for help:I enjoy reading philosophy, Dostoyevsky, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Dickens.
i'm in the mood for reading a masterpiece!! Any idea of one???
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

I suppose it depends on what you define masterpiece as. Here's a few that I've heard described as such, might give you some ideas:

The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
Shakeelah

Post by Shakeelah »

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by... Louis de Bernieres I think is the author's name. That book blew my mind away. Don't judge it based on the stupid abortion of a movie.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

Shakeelah wrote:Captain Corelli's Mandolin by... Louis de Bernieres I think is the author's name. That book blew my mind away. Don't judge it based on the stupid abortion of a movie.
I've never read the book, but I didn't think much of the film. Hollywood often slaughters what's on the page. :(
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
Shakeelah

Post by Shakeelah »

so true! the film really was terrible. read the book!
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

Grapes of Wrath

It single handedly moved me from reading fantasy and sports bio;s to serious literature. It was my favourite book until I read Crime and Punishment.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

TeddyP wrote:Grapes of Wrath

It single handedly moved me from reading fantasy and sports bio;s to serious literature. It was my favourite book until I read Crime and Punishment.
I liked Of Mice and Men, too.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
PCLady

Post by PCLady »

I recommend Middlemarch by George Eliot. Has romance and a great story to it. It's long, but worth it.
sheaman

Post by sheaman »

Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger. Real short read, but it has a lot of great things in it.
Oh, and if you're into philosophy, you may want to check out some Ayn Rand. I'd try The Fountainhead out.
BlondeNicole

Post by BlondeNicole »

erebos92 wrote:Oke guys!!Here's a new subject for your eyes only!<3:
I'm taking exams and i don't have much time. However, I'd really like to read a nice book. I'd love it to be sth modern and maybe romantic, but I'm not the kind of person that's addicted to "twilight" or stuff like that. Just for help:I enjoy reading philosophy, Dostoyevsky, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Dickens.
i'm in the mood for reading a masterpiece!! Any idea of one???

SOPHIE'S CHOICE!

Or something by Jane Austen.

Have you read DR. SHIVAGO?

I liked that a lot.
Oneday

Post by Oneday »

You want an Epic Masterpiece?

"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett
mohses

Post by mohses »

i maybe alittle biased but, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee is great if u have little time tilll exams. NARCISSUS and GOLDMUND by Herman Hesse (also the author of steppenwolf, the glassbead game ) is a masterpiece. [/i]
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

I am pilgrim by Terry Hayes is definitely a masterpiece.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

This post was obviously a loooooong time ago but on the off chance that you’re still here and interested, I think you would like The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. It was recently made into a bad tv show but the book itself is very different and definitely what I’d call a masterpiece. It’s not YA and involves some taboo subjects but the story is incredible.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”