What do you love about book stores

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: What do you love about book stores

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I love finding something that no one has recommended to me, so that I can be the one to recommend it. Might sound kind of silly, but I see so much enjoyment when someone else says that they really enjoyed the book I recommended!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Book stores and libraries are two of my favorite places. I think that the atmosphere and the sheer amount of knowledge, intrigue, romance, adventure, and as Gravy stated, possibilities make it a place that I will always love to be. I certainly hope that the demand for the written word in book form continues into the future. The world without real books would be a world that I would not want to exist. E readers and Audiobooks are great but the feel and smell of a real book, the tangible weight and action of turning the pages make it a much more enjoyable experience.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:Book stores and libraries are two of my favorite places. I think that the atmosphere and the sheer amount of knowledge, intrigue, romance, adventure, and as Gravy stated, possibilities make it a place that I will always love to be. I certainly hope that the demand for the written word in book form continues into the future. The world without real books would be a world that I would not want to exist. E readers and Audiobooks are great but the feel and smell of a real book, the tangible weight and action of turning the pages make it a much more enjoyable experience.
:text-yeahthat:
Aside from very short works (around 150 pages, or less) I'm unable to read ebooks. If there were no more real, tangible, physical books, those like me would lose the joy of reading, and that's something that I don't ever want to see happen.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I use both, but I will always love the smell and feel of the real, tangible books the best!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
pavster
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pavster.html

Post by pavster »

I just love the peace and kind of comfort you feel when you walk in! There's no flashy lights and hustle bustle, but rather a whole array of books of which one could become your new favorite. Honestly for me picking out a book is the most exciting. There's so many options, and depending on my current mood of the past few months or my recent self reflection I tend to lean towards those types of genres. I notice myself looking for books that could help me answer my questions within me. I just wish there were more bookstores around.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I agree with a lot of what is said above. There is a serenity / magic about a place dedicated entirely to just (or almost) books. The possibilities are endless.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I adore book stores, especially Barnes and Noble where you can sit and read all day if you want. Unfortunately, the closest one to me is over 50 miles away. When I do go there, I take my aunt (who also loves to read) with me and we stay for hours!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

What I love about bookstores was the smell of the books when I entered the shop. Next, it'll be the excitement when going through aisles and reading each books' blurb. Finding my favorite authors book and then sitting on the floor of the store while getting immersed in the story. Pity none of my acquaintances preferring to walk through clothing aisles while all i want was to survey for books all day long.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

The smell of books! I love it! The moment i enter a bookstore, i feel so at home. :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

That there are actual physical books. That I get to discover new ones, old ones that I love... Also the aroma/smell of new/old books is everything.
TJ de Ocampo
Currently Reading: Fire in the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tj-de-ocampo.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

I love the feeling 2nd hand bookstores give you. Old and dusty books make good inhalants (probably not that good for the lungs though).
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Just finding lots of books from different authors is satisfying. From genre to genre, title to title( not even related to each other)
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

What do I love about book stores? Clearance sales! I rarely go to a mall, but when I do, book stores have a clearance cart at the front of the store.

:)
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I enjoy looking at all the wonderful books placed evenly on the shelf making it easier to find books and new releases that are out
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I love everything about it. I especially love the many different categories of books. I go look at books in a certain category based on my mood or time of year. Right now I'm interested in holiday themed books.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”