Author Seeking Opinions

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RichardG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Opinion

Post by RichardG »

For me it would be the character with whom i can relate to, also theme plays an important role. You should feel the story rather than just reading it out.
MarkHockley

Post by MarkHockley »

I thought I would let everyone know that my old AOL page with excerpts from The Magic Lands is closing. I have now created a new site that has the first two chapters from my book available to read. You can find it here: http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/
Please do check it out if you get a chance. Comments are always welcome!
LD

Post by LD »

I tend not to go for the very flashy looking books, because that tells me that the content is being compensated for.

Generally, if the book is a good read, and if it's a best seller, then there is no need for the book cover to look too attractive.

If you keep that in mind I think it would help you sell more copies of your book :)
fishinggirl

Post by fishinggirl »

So I think I'm weird on what gets me hooked on a book. I spent many years reading Nora Robersts, Dean Koontz, John Grisham...now I'm into the more "un usual" authors..the ones I may have never heard of. And then the artwork on a book draws me in. I usually don't read the blurbs on the back, more skim through...

I also love books that are based back in the 1800's in the slavery times or on plantations.
so theres my two cents.
MarkHockley

Post by MarkHockley »

I've updated my webpage and it now includes the first two chapters from what will hopefully be my next book. It's called The Shadow of the Rose. Let me know what you think!

http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/
MarkHockley

Post by MarkHockley »

Hope you don't mind me sharing this new review from Amazon :)

'This book is the story of two fourteen year old boys who find themselves transported into a realm of magic and nightmare.
Reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, the story quickly turns into a dark tale of nightmare, lust and cruelty as the two boys find themselves locked in a contest against the ultimate evil, with the stakes being not only their lives, but their souls as well.
Joining Tom Lewis and Jack Barton as they journey through the contantly changing dreamscape of The Magic Lands is like sitting down with Alice In Wonderland and Rob Zombie to drop some acid.
Loaded with iconic imagery, The Magic Lands is a tour de force into a surreal realm dominated by evil and insidious temptation.'
MarkHockley

Post by MarkHockley »

Just to let anyone know who may be interested in checking out my work that I’ve changed my website address. The new address is now http://markhockley.webs.com/

Hope you get a chance to take a look!
booklover1970

Post by booklover1970 »

combination of front and back i think and a quote from a reputable source.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

The front cover and the back cover, the author should look professional or stylish but mustn't look like he/she has no time for himself or herself. The quality of the book and the title attract me to either pick it or shun it.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Obviously, we’re all looking within the genres we enjoy and a book whose blurb catches your attention is the one you’re going to read. Unfortunately, there are so many books out there, how do you get that blurb in front of people? Somehow people need to see or discover your book before they can be pulled in. I’m not a marketing expert or an author, but somehow I would think you would need to get people to talk about it, recommend it, post about it online, or otherwise get reader’s attention in the first place. Otherwise, even with a good book, it’s all about the odds of how many people will pick it up off the shelf to look at it in the first place.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”