Author Seeking Opinions

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MarkHockley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Author Seeking Opinions

Post by MarkHockley »

Hi everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hockley and I have just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. For openers, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover (hopefully mine is effective!) or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? What draws us to decide to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Welcome Mark!

For me, it's the concept and the characters that pull me in. If I read the blurb and I like the concept of a novel, of the story, that hooks me in, or if there is a central character that I can identify with, then I'm sold to give it a try.

I couldn't care less about the cover - some of the best books I've read have got truly atrocious covers!!

Kath
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

TrishF

Post by TrishF »

Welcome to the group Mark!

I agree with Kath on this one. Definitely if I read the blurb and it has an interesting plot and/or characters, I will want to read the book. The title or graphic will grab my attention but if it doesn't sound like something I would want to read, back on the shelf it will go.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yep, the blurb is important and also if you can put snippets of some other authors' good reviews in there too, that helps a lot.
I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore I am perfect
-Anon
Linda

Post by Linda »

i'm a sucker for a good title, the title and the visual aspects, like the cover, make me pick a book up, but the blurb has to be good for me to read a book.

and i don't ever buy a book without reading a few pages, eh more than a few pages, you never kno if you'll like a new writers writing style until you read a little bit
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

I'm suspicious of the overly great blurb, as well as praise on the jacket that is TOO glowing. In my experience, they always equal a let-down. The blurb is important, but so is the opening; if I'm not grabbed immediately, I often won't be too interested to read more.
Dori

Post by Dori »

Honestly, I like to buy books that are inexpensive, which is why I'm starting to read a lot of the classics. They are very inexpensive and as far as I know, good reads. I rarely buy a book that's more than $10-$12.

I shop online a lot of the time (the pains of living in the middle of nowhere) so I usually read the customer reviews on bn.com. Actually, I try to find the people who rated it the lowest and see why they did so.

Also, I couldn't care less what the cover looked like.

So, in summary, what compels me to read a certain book is a low price, an interesting topic, and decent customer reviews.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

A cover and/or a title will get my attention, but I'm with Kath--it's the concept and the characters that compel me to buy.
MarkHockley

Post by MarkHockley »

Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies so far :) I have posted an extract from my book at the following link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockl ... ywork.html
and wondered if you might check it out and give me your opinion on it.

Thanks again!
Mike French

Post by Mike French »

Hardly ever buy on a whim. But If I did I quess:
The cover, the blurb on the back, the publishing house and the fist line.

Strange world really.
Would you go into a cd store and buy music because you like the artwork and notes on the sleeve?
Yet this is what we hope for in the book shop. (Unless you have a major marketing campaign behind you.) So normally I would buy based on a recommendation from a friend who knows what I like. Better still I try
books out by using the local libary.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Mike French wrote:Better still I try
books out by using the local libary.
Ahhh, you make an old librarian very happy!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Mike French

Post by Mike French »

Glad to be of help! Means I can try lots of stuff without breaking the bank!
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yeah, I know that if I was buying instead of borrowing, I would be spending my entire paycheck!
________
Medical Marijuana Patient
Last edited by Anna on 17 Mar 2011, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mark -

One of the things that gets me hooked is the blurb. But what sells me are the first 10 pages. If I cannot get into it, chances are good I will leave it behind. The dust cover means nothing to me. I like to know what I am getting myself into.

Ro
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Linda

Post by Linda »

i think im really into the artwork or cover photography because im an artsy person. ive taken art classes and made art forever so i guess i kindof appreciate good artwork. i was supposed to go to art school to be a graphic designer so its cool to see the work current designers are doing on book covers, cd covers, and even clothes.

but of course the actual writing has to intrigue me for me to spend money on a book.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”