Has Becoming a Book Reviewer Changed Your Reading Habits

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Has Becoming a Book Reviewer Changed Your Reading Habits

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi All, I was just wondering. Has becoming a book reviewer changed your reading habits? My reading habits have changed. I am reading at least 3 more books per month than I used to. On top of that, I am reading other people's reviews so that I can comment on them. I must read my reviews at least 10 times before I submit them! I enjoy having a list of books to choose from for my next review. This is so much faster than going to the public library. Sometimes I will choose to read a book that I never would have chosen at the library. More often than not, that book ends up being a pleasant read. Let me know about your reading habits. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Absolutely! In a good way of course! I've always been a voracious reader; however, now that I have all these free books to read, I read even more! Like you, I'm always in the forums reading other people's reviews as well. I have found some pure treasure by reading these reviews! I do notice that even when I'm reading a book, not for review, I am astutely aware of any errors I find and sometimes I go to make a note of it but then realize I'm not reviewing it! :lol: :lol: :lol: Also, like you, I have chosen to read books here that I would have never picked up on my own after reading a well-written review with high marks! I have my favorite reviewers on here that have similar tastes in books as myself that I constantly check in on to see what they are reading. If it is highly rated by one of my favs, I am much more likely to grab it! I have found so many new authors that I enjoy, that I may never have found otherwise! Great question! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading: The Warrior's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Becoming a book reviewer has really changed my reading habits. I think it has made me a whole lot more open minded when it comes to reading books. While I have always read from across many genres, I think I used to limit myself a whole lot more when I would chose what to read. Now I'm pretty much willing to give everything and anything a try. Which is good because I've discovered so many new things that I have loved that I previously would not have looked at on the first place. Becoming a book review has really changed my reading habits for the better.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Susan Ledezma wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 14:50 Becoming a book reviewer has really changed my reading habits. I think it has made me a whole lot more open minded when it comes to reading books. While I have always read from across many genres, I think I used to limit myself a whole lot more when I would chose what to read. Now I'm pretty much willing to give everything and anything a try. Which is good because I've discovered so many new things that I have loved that I previously would not have looked at on the first place. Becoming a book review has really changed my reading habits for the better.
Hi, Susan, thank you for your feedback. Yes, I have had the same experience as you. I also have been trying books in different genres and I have been surprised by how much I enjoyed reading them. Happy reading! :techie-studyinggray:
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Gerry Steen wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 16:12 Hi All, I was just wondering. Has becoming a book reviewer changed your reading habits? My reading habits have changed. I am reading at least 3 more books per month than I used to. On top of that, I am reading other people's reviews so that I can comment on them. I must read my reviews at least 10 times before I submit them! I enjoy having a list of books to choose from for my next review. This is so much faster than going to the public library. Sometimes I will choose to read a book that I never would have chosen at the library. More often than not, that book ends up being a pleasant read. Let me know about your reading habits. :techie-studyinggray:
Absolutely! Becoming a reviewer has altered my reading habits. I've always loved to read and consumed many books, but now I'm delving into books I probably wouldn't have picked up before. Just as you said, I'm often pleasantly surprised. Additionally, I've become more attuned to spotting grammatical mistakes and typos while reading. Previously, I hardly noticed them! Being a reviewer has definitely made me a better reader.😊
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 17:24
Gerry Steen wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 16:12 Hi All, I was just wondering. Has becoming a book reviewer changed your reading habits? My reading habits have changed. I am reading at least 3 more books per month than I used to. On top of that, I am reading other people's reviews so that I can comment on them. I must read my reviews at least 10 times before I submit them! I enjoy having a list of books to choose from for my next review. This is so much faster than going to the public library. Sometimes I will choose to read a book that I never would have chosen at the library. More often than not, that book ends up being a pleasant read. Let me know about your reading habits. :techie-studyinggray:
Absolutely! Becoming a reviewer has altered my reading habits. I've always loved to read and consumed many books, but now I'm delving into books I probably wouldn't have picked up before. Just as you said, I'm often pleasantly surprised. Additionally, I've become more attuned to spotting grammatical mistakes and typos while reading. Previously, I hardly noticed them! Being a reviewer has definitely made me a better reader.😊
Hi, Claudia, thank you for joining the discussion. I appreciate your comments. And yes, my grammar has improved also. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Susan Ledezma wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 14:50 Becoming a book reviewer has really changed my reading habits. I think it has made me a whole lot more open minded when it comes to reading books. While I have always read from across many genres, I think I used to limit myself a whole lot more when I would chose what to read. Now I'm pretty much willing to give everything and anything a try. Which is good because I've discovered so many new things that I have loved that I previously would not have looked at on the first place. Becoming a book review has really changed my reading habits for the better.
Susan, your comments rang true for me as well...I "have" become more open-minded about the books I choose to read! I didn't think about that until I read your reply. Was there any one book that comes to mind when you think of books you loved that you otherwise may have never read?! I love your signature quote by the way :wink: Until next time...
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading: The Warrior's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Cara Wilding wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 11:39
Susan, your comments rang true for me as well...I "have" become more open-minded about the books I choose to read! I didn't think about that until I read your reply. Was there any one book that comes to mind when you think of books you loved that you otherwise may have never read?! I love your signature quote by the way :wink: Until next time...
Hi Cara! Its nice to know that you relate to my comment! I think of an example of a book like that would be From GED to PhD. I really loved it, but I used to not pick up non fiction books. It would be incredibly rare for me to do so since they never appealed to me. However, I really enjoyed it so it made me more willing to try new things. Thanks for replying to my comment! :tiphat:
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Susan Ledezma wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 12:02 Hi Cara! Its nice to know that you relate to my comment! I think of an example of a book like that would be From GED to PhD. I really loved it, but I used to not pick up non fiction books. It would be incredibly rare for me to do so since they never appealed to me. However, I really enjoyed it so it made me more willing to try new things. Thanks for replying to my comment! :tiphat:
Susan, thanks for answering my question! I've seen that book reviewed here on OBC, it's great to know how impactful it was! I think I was a self-help book avoider, as if picking one up would be admitting that I wasn't perfect or I was damaged in some way! I've read SO many of these books this past year and it has made such a tremendous difference in the quality of my thinking and my life! Until next time...
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

Yes, it has changed my reading habits. I have started reading books that I wouldn't have discovered before, and I'm exploring new genres.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Zanne Crystle wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 18:51 Yes, it has changed my reading habits. I have started reading books that I wouldn't have discovered before, and I'm exploring new genres.
Hi, Zanne, thank you for your response. I guess that becoming a book reviewer has opened up a whole new world for you. It has done the same for me. :techie-studyinggray:
Chockanathan G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chockanathan-g.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Chockanathan G »

Yes, I have changed my lifestyle because of using my mind in thoughtful process. I don't use my mind in unnecessary things and games.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Chockanathan G wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 03:49 Yes, I have changed my lifestyle because of using my mind in thoughtful process. I don't use my mind in unnecessary things and games.
Hi, Chockanathan, thank you for responding to this post. I agree with you. Reading enables me to practice being more focused. It is great to get lost in a book. :techie-studyinggray:
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Yes, I've become faster at reading because sometimes I'm chasing my monthly target, but I still make sure the quality of reading is achieved. I've also turned book reviewing into a positive habit to prevent binge-scrolling on social media.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 03:54 Yes, I've become faster at reading because sometimes I'm chasing my monthly target, but I still make sure the quality of reading is achieved. I've also turned book reviewing into a positive habit to prevent binge-scrolling on social media.
Hi, Tomy. Book reviewing has had the same effect on me as you. I am also taking note of the way authors use grammar in their writing. Have a great day! :tiphat:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”