Has Becoming a Book Reviewer Changed Your Reading Habits

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Re: Has Becoming a Book Reviewer Changed Your Reading Habits

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Gerry Steen wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 08:58
Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 03:54 Yes, I've become faster at reading because sometimes I'm chasing my monthly target, but I still make sure the quality of reading is achieved. I've also turned book reviewing into a positive habit to prevent binge-scrolling on social media.

Hi, Tomy. Book reviewing has had the same effect on me as you. I am also taking note of the way authors use grammar in their writing. Have a great day! :tiphat:

Thank you for your response, @gerry. May I know how having a hobby of reading books has influenced you as a retiree? I aspire to be like you, able to retire yet still keep my mind fresh by writing and reading.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy
Bookshelf Size: 58
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Yes it has . The taking down of notes . Paying attention to certain details while reading is quiet different. I am still leaning to be descriptive of a book you know. Highlighting parts of the events in the book that shape and matter
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Jabulile Mahlangu 1 wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 21:22 Yes it has . The taking down of notes . Paying attention to certain details while reading is quiet different. I am still leaning to be descriptive of a book you know. Highlighting parts of the events in the book that shape and matter
I agree. My mind cannot wander while I read because I have to pay attention to details. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 18:57
Gerry Steen wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 08:58
Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 03:54 Yes, I've become faster at reading because sometimes I'm chasing my monthly target, but I still make sure the quality of reading is achieved. I've also turned book reviewing into a positive habit to prevent binge-scrolling on social media.

Hi, Tomy. Book reviewing has had the same effect on me as you. I am also taking note of the way authors use grammar in their writing. Have a great day! :tiphat:

Thank you for your response, @gerry. May I know how having a hobby of reading books has influenced you as a retiree? I aspire to be like you, able to retire yet still keep my mind fresh by writing and reading.
Reading and reviewing and replying to reviews helps to fill my day. I stay busy. Improving my grammar skills is a challenge that I am keen on. I want to become an expert. Not bad for a retiree ehhh?!! Have a good day.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Actually, you do it much better than most retirees here, who mostly start getting sick because they're confused about what they want to do.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I have chosen to read books here that I would have never picked up on my own after reading a well-written review with high marks! I have my favorite reviewers on here that have similar tastes in books as myself that I constantly check in on to see what they are reading. If it is highly rated by one of my favs, I am much more likely to grab it! I have found so many new authors that I enjoy, that I may never have found otherwise! Great question! Until next time...
Jennifer Cowhig
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-cowhig.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B0775717ZP
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Jennifer Cowhig »

Joining OBC has definitely changed my reading habits. I'm reading different kinds of books than I would normally pick up and reading a whole lot more. I've also noticed that I've been reading books as if I had to review them and have been paying more attention to grammar errors than before as even professionally edited books usually have one.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Miriam Ratemo wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 04:48 I have chosen to read books here that I would have never picked up on my own after reading a well-written review with high marks! I have my favorite reviewers on here that have similar tastes in books as myself that I constantly check in on to see what they are reading. If it is highly rated by one of my favs, I am much more likely to grab it! I have found so many new authors that I enjoy, that I may never have found otherwise! Great question! Until next time...
Hi, Miriam. Before I joined OBC, I never really paid too much attention to book reviews. Now I do. Like you, I am reading books I would never have chosen and I end up being pleased with the reading experience in most cases. I read over 30 books this past year. i don't think I've ever done that before in my lifetime. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Jennifer Cowhig wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 13:01 Joining OBC has definitely changed my reading habits. I'm reading different kinds of books than I would normally pick up and reading a whole lot more. I've also noticed that I've been reading books as if I had to review them and have been paying more attention to grammar errors than before as even professionally edited books usually have one.
Hi, Jennifer. i can relate to everything you stated. I think we all have increased the amount of books we read while having a more critical eye. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”