What was your favorite book in 2023?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

What was your favorite book in 2023?

Post by Gerry Steen »

What was your favorite book in 2023? Let me know so we can discuss it and/or I could read and reply to your book review.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Out of all of the books I read in 2023, my favorite book was entitled Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. She explores the benefits of two natural remedies: Rauwolfia vomitoria and Pao pereira. Beljanski claims that they both can be used to complement conventional cancer therapies such as chemotherapy. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

My favorite book of 2023 was not a part of OBC; however, it was indeed "the best"...How to Know a Person: The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen by David Brooks (a New York Times bestseller). It is about connection and our gradual loss of it over the more recent years. The author talks about how to talk to others to better get to know them, understand them, and most of all - to fully appreciate them. I have been working to put some of his practices into play, and I have to say - just yesterday (on my first attempt) I had the most amazing 3hr conversation with one of my newer friends that I was struggling to connect with. It was so fulfilling that I did it again today...and sure enough, I had another amazing conversation with a friend who I learned more about! I generally don't read books more than once, but I would say that not only do I "need" to read it again, but I want to! I want to make sure I get everything I can from it. Highly recommended! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 12:15 Out of all of the books I read in 2023, my favorite book was entitled Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. She explores the benefits of two natural remedies: Rauwolfia vomitoria and Pao pereira. Beljanski claims that they both can be used to complement conventional cancer therapies such as chemotherapy. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry, you've read quite a few books this year...I would know because I've read all your reviews! What was it about this particular book that made it the "best" of 2023?! Until next time...
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Cara Wilding wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 14:29
Gerry Steen wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 12:15 Out of all of the books I read in 2023, my favorite book was entitled Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. She explores the benefits of two natural remedies: Rauwolfia vomitoria and Pao pereira. Beljanski claims that they both can be used to complement conventional cancer therapies such as chemotherapy. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry, you've read quite a few books this year...I would know because I've read all your reviews! What was it about this particular book that made it the "best" of 2023?! Until next time...
Cara, it is the story that Sylvie Beljanski tells about her father, Mirko Beljanski , whose research lab was shut down by the government after the passing of Francois Mitterrand. Mitterrand used the natural substances that Mirko had discovered to treat his advanced and incurable prostate cancer. This allowed him to complete the last three years of his term as the president of France. Sylvie maintains that the pharmacy companies and government did not want the news of the success of Rauwolfa vomitoria and Pao pereira in treating prostate cancer to become common knowledge. That is why they shut Mirko Beljanski down. I believe that what Sylvie Beljanski is saying is credible. If I get cancer, I feel that I have some options for treatment to consider.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Cara Wilding wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 14:27 My favorite book of 2023 was not a part of OBC; however, it was indeed "the best"...How to Know a Person: The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen by David Brooks (a New York Times bestseller). It is about connection and our gradual loss of it over the more recent years. The author talks about how to talk to others to better get to know them, understand them, and most of all - to fully appreciate them. I have been working to put some of his practices into play, and I have to say - just yesterday (on my first attempt) I had the most amazing 3hr conversation with one of my newer friends that I was struggling to connect with. It was so fulfilling that I did it again today...and sure enough, I had another amazing conversation with a friend who I learned more about! I generally don't read books more than once, but I would say that not only do I "need" to read it again, but I want to! I want to make sure I get everything I can from it. Highly recommended! Until next time...
Cara, I am happy that you found a book that spoke to you so much. A book like that can impact your life so much and spur you on to make a change that you may have always wanted to do but for some reason were never able to. I had a similar experience when I was a college kid ( a very long time ago!). I was quite a shy person. Anyway, I read this particular book for my psychology class. It was called Interpersonal Communication. That book gave me the inspiration I needed to get over my shyness. I got up in front of the class and sang the Beatles songs, Nowhere Man and Eleanor Rigby. I did this acapella with no accompaniment. I received a good round of applause from the class. From that day on I became quite the extrovert! I give all credit to that book. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the author. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your favorite book. Ciao for now. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 01:29 Cara, it is the story that Sylvie Beljanski tells about her father, Mirko Beljanski , whose research lab was shut down by the government after the passing of Francois Mitterrand. Mitterrand used the natural substances that Mirko had discovered to treat his advanced and incurable prostate cancer. This allowed him to complete the last three years of his term as the president of France. Sylvie maintains that the pharmacy companies and government did not want the news of the success of Rauwolfa vomitoria and Pao pereira in treating prostate cancer to become common knowledge. That is why they shut Mirko Beljanski down. I believe that what Sylvie Beljanski is saying is credible. If I get cancer, I feel that I have some options for treatment to consider.
Gerry, thanks for answering my question! This does make me wonder how many amazing "cures" are put to ground before they can change the world. It's super sad. I do remember reading about how the medical research industry has very little incentive to create cures though. I'll have to remember this as cancer can creep up on anyone! Until next time...
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 20:57 Cara, I am happy that you found a book that spoke to you so much. A book like that can impact your life so much and spur you on to make a change that you may have always wanted to do but for some reason were never able to. I had a similar experience when I was a college kid ( a very long time ago!). I was quite a shy person. Anyway, I read this particular book for my psychology class. It was called Interpersonal Communication. That book gave me the inspiration I needed to get over my shyness. I got up in front of the class and sang the Beatles songs, Nowhere Man and Eleanor Rigby. I did this acapella with no accompaniment. I received a good round of applause from the class. From that day on I became quite the extrovert! I give all credit to that book. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the author. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your favorite book. Ciao for now. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry, it's too bad you can't remember the name of the author on this one. It sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I am a sucker for all things psychology and brain function! That's some impact if it got you singing acapella in a class room!!! That would be a never for me! Haha! I agree with you though, a book that can/does impact your life - precious! Until next time...
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion so far. Is there anyone else? Don't be shy!
:techie-studyinggray:
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Emotional education by the school of life
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 Emotional education by the school of life
Hi, Tomy. Can you tell us a little more about the book and why you liked it so much? :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”