Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

shilpa khanom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-khanom.html
Latest Review: Black, White, and Gray All Over by Frederick Douglass Reynolds

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by shilpa khanom »

I don't think I can keep track of books that made me cry, the most recent though is crooked kingdom by Leigh Bardugo and before that it was this absolutely beautiful book called the travelling cat chronicles
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

Ice cream with grandpa. It is a book that deals with a boy recounting his experience since he was younger, he liked to spend time with his grandfather, at first because the grandfather gave him ice cream. But the grandfather had Alzheimer's so in each visit the grandfather behaved differently, on some occasions he did not recognize the child and got angry because he believed that he was someone else pretending to be his grandson. In the end the grandfather dies, and the boy remembers him with love. On the last page there is a real photo of the real grandfather and child when they played and ate ice cream.
Renee_Charmaine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Renee_Charmaine »

I mostly remember books I've read at night because it's more exciting knowing that I need to sleep but recently I cried to It Ends With US by Colleen Hoover and I remember waking up with puffy eyes and dark circles. The book is one of the best books I've ever read.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

The 10th book in the 'Saga of Darren Shan' by Darren Shan. The book is called 'Killers of The Dawn' Without spoiling it, all I can say is that it has a phenomenal ending and a character curve so mind-numbing that it made my then 14-year-old version cry.
Kailyn Rudd
Favorite Book: Rusalka
Currently Reading: Developmental Editing
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailyn-rudd.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Kailyn Rudd »

Amberly Ayra wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 10:51 Ice cream with grandpa. It is a book that deals with a boy recounting his experience since he was younger, he liked to spend time with his grandfather, at first because the grandfather gave him ice cream. But the grandfather had Alzheimer's so in each visit the grandfather behaved differently, on some occasions he did not recognize the child and got angry because he believed that he was someone else pretending to be his grandson. In the end the grandfather dies, and the boy remembers him with love. On the last page there is a real photo of the real grandfather and child when they played and ate ice cream.
God, just reading your description almost got me. Mentioning the picture at the end is what really did it, though-- it sound like a lovely homage, but heartbreaking.
Kailyn Rudd
Favorite Book: Rusalka
Currently Reading: Developmental Editing
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailyn-rudd.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Kailyn Rudd »

The only book I really remember making me cry is Mockingjay. A friend once complained to me how she disliked the pace of it, but I feel like the events were really masterfully handled. All these important, devastating moments are happening, one after the other, with no time for Katniss to digest or process them. She has to keep moving or it's all for naught—and you, as the reader, equally lack that time to take it in.

It's written in a way that your emotional experience of the events matches hers, step for step. So when it finally catches up to her—when one small, mundane thing brings all of her unprocessed grief crashing down on her... I must have sobbed for ten minutes before I could continue reading it.
Last edited by Kailyn Rudd on 20 Jul 2022, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manik Chaturmutha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manik-chaturmutha.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Manik Chaturmutha »

Very few books make me actually cry. But, surely The Kite Runner made me cry and 2 States by Chetan Bhagat as well. I still remember those moments and want to revisit them.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Books that have made me cry: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, The Light Between Two Oceans by M.L. Stedman, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and they're a lot more. I am a real cry baby while reading a good, sad, emotional book. But, I have to say, I love them.
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

Iam a very sensitive person. Whenever I start reading any book I become one of the character and I laugh and cry with them. The part when Dumbledore died in Harry Potter I wept like a baby. I watched the movies several times and only after that did I read the book but still I cried alot. P.S. I love you made me cry from the beginning of the book, then Fault in our Stars, Roddy Doyle's Woman who walked into the Doors are some of my favourite books as well as the books over which I cried alot.
Taylor Hammerich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hammerich.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taylor Hammerich »

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
or
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky!
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Jewels by Nora Roberts had me crying .I'm not really an emotional person but this book really touched me
bayleighadd
Currently Reading: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by bayleighadd »

Almost every book I have read has made me cry. Especially if its a colleen hoover book.
Jonté Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jont-joy.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Jonté Joy »

I've cried reading everyone of Tillie Cole's books oddly. But other than that The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata will always get me going and Whispers and the Roars by K. Webster also had me balling like a baby.
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I am not much of a crier but I found myself in tears at the end of It Ends With Us, by Colleen Hoover. I don't know exactly what it was but the way the book ended just brought me to tears.
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

Actually the book I nearly cried for was "when time stood still" and I couldn't just complete it. it really hurts m heart whenever I recall that book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”