Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Wanjla Carl »

Another book that almost made me cry was the novel "Germinal" by Emile bronte. After watching the suffering of the coal miners and the miserable lives they lead. I was very hard to watch it.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

Wanjla Carl wrote: 11 May 2023, 15:59 "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare: This is a tragic play tells the story of two young lovers who are caught up in the rivalries of their families. The sad ending almost made me shed a tear.
I read it when I was maybe 9-10or so (I think “Shakespeare in Love” the movie had recently come out, or maybe the Leonardo de Caprio remake of R&J) because everyone kept talking about how romantic R&J was and wouldn’t shut up about it but my mom wouldn’t let me watch the movie due to whatever “adult themes” at the time since she was very strict about violence (yes, watching the news counted too).

My first thought when I finished was that they were BOTH idiots. I told my family and friends if I ever seemed like I’d kill myself over a guy I’d know for a few weeks or months, much less said I wanted to MARRY him after that long to please just have me evaluated. Furthermore if a guy I’m dating ever implies he’ll kill himself if I die? Can you say red flag? Co-dependency, attachment & borderline personality disorders… ask for help and RUN LIKE THE WIND! It’s NOT romantic, it’s freaking scary!!!!

My second thought was that it was an excellent example of absolutely terrible parenting. I’m the youngest of 5 kids. Wanna guess how often any of us snuck out under the age of 17 without either getting caught before getting out, caught coming back, or confronted within days? Once… out of all of us… my sister tried to go to a party on a school night w/ drinking and boys when she was the same age as Juliet- my dad wanted to talk to her when she got home, my mom decided to retrieve her by crashing the party, unplugging the music, and booming out “WHERE’S MY DAUGHTER?! SHE WAS ALREADY TOLD SHE COULDN’T COME ON A SCHOOL NIGHT!” The kids all recognized “angry mom on a mission mode” and knew why my sister was in trouble & it wasn’t an adult crashing their PARTY so they parted like the Red Sea hstraight to her. That’s when my sister got as dumb as Juliet and mom did Mom things unlike in R&J: she refused to leave and said “I’ll come home when I feel like it” 😓… so mom said “I know it might feel like it, but you aren’t actually grown up yet so you don’t get to make the rules for a house you live in that doesn’t belong to you and when in comes to following rules, ‘when’ and what ‘you feel like’ aren’t worth two nickels to rub together. All the rules you broke are bad enough, lying to your entire family and some friends is even worse, so if you come with me now it’ll at least be a step in the right direction to rebuild trust, but if you get defiant and act like a child, I’ll treat you like one and I promise you won’t like it or your friends to see”. She chose the second option so mom literally slung my sister over her shoulder, holding her legs tight, and carried her out while my sister kicked, hit, weeped, and wailed. One kid actually helped my mom when they saw (causing several to join) and told her they wished their parents cared enough about where they were to go looking, much less show up and actually care enough to make sure they were okay and take them home. So dad AND mom talked when she got home after being forcibly stuffed in the car at 14yrs old.
And seriously, some 15-16 year old guy KEEPS showing up at your house at night for your 13-14 year old daughter and you decide going to war/killing him is the answer? NOT the local authorities? Or even just scaring the ever loving crap out of him? The story had the Prince of Verona whose word was law in that city, both families could have gone to him for a solution if they’d been doing some real parenting and had already ACTUALLY tried with their kids and failed instead of halfheartedly trying to manipulate them.

So basically I closed my Complete Works of William Shakespeare after reading R&J and went “what is WRONG with people that they rave about romance OR tragedy here? This is just tragic parenting and puberty hormones gone wrong with some attachment disorders thrown in… *facepalm for an hour*”
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

The time travelers wife! I cried for about twenty minutes straight. Really good book.
Wendy Mays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendy-mays.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Wendy Mays »

I have cried reading so many books! I am a teacher and a mom, so immediately think of the ones that consistently trigger tears, such as Love You Forever, Charlotte's Web, Where the Red Fern Grows, Anne of Green Gables, and such. Tears are easy for me!
Nour E
Currently Reading: Arsene Lupin
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nour E »

I'm not much of a crier, but The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri had tears running down my cheeks more than once. I believe it's because the issues and tragedies it describes could resonate with everyone. War, loss, instability, and uncertainty, all told from the perspective of a refugee doing anything possible to survive.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I cry at so many books that I have lost count but the ones that I found heart wrenching are "In the Memory of the forest" by Charles T Powers (one of the most amazing books I have ever read) and "Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources" by Marcel Pagnol. But I also have to admit that the James Herriot books made me laugh and cry in equal measure.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

"Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare: This is a tragic play tells the story of two young lovers who are caught up in the rivalries of their families. The sad ending almost made me shed a tear.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

The first time I remember crying when reading a book, was when Dumbledore died in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I also got choked up on reading The Wind in the Willows, Anne of Green Gables and The Little Prince.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I have cried a few times while reading. However, Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah takes the cake. I sobbed through the entire ending! I had tissues everywhere. Hannah takes so much time detailing out the story I was entirely captivated.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I cry at so many books that I have lost count but the ones that I found heart wrenching are "In the Memory of the forest" by Charles T Powers (one of the most amazing books I have ever read) and "Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources" by Marcel Pagnol. But I also have to admit that the James Herriot books made me laugh and cry in equal measure.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Buocolic and Cage of Tangled Thornes.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
aashipatel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aashipatel »

A thousand boy kisses by Tillie cole
Daniel Lopez 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-lopez-10.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Daniel Lopez 10 »

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo...Twice!!!
:tiphat: DAN PUNK
maggie hong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by maggie hong »

This is going to sound terrible and very stupid to a lot of folks, but I cried when I first read One Piece... yes, the manga series. I was 17. The scene that I read, which made me cry was when the crew's ship "Going Merry" sunk (or died) after taking extensive damage throughout the crew's adventures and the "spirit" of the ship thanked the crew for their amazing adventures together and it expressed sadness for not being able to carry on with them.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

That book, for me, is 'The Parrot's Perch' by Karen Keilt. She went through harrowing experiences that I consider too much for an individual within days. I couldn't help crying.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”