Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Ellie Greenberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Ellie Greenberg »

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. The story was told so beautifully, in a way only Madeline Miller can do. By the end, I was ugly sobbing harder than I had in a very long time. Even already knowing the myth of Achilles well didn’t save me from just collapsing in the kind of sobs where you can’t breathe. 10/10 would read a hundred times.
Brooklyn Stout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklyn-stout.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Brooklyn Stout »

The main book i can think of that had made me cry has got to be Double Identity. I could feel her emotions throughout the book and they really spoke to me. It was almost as if i was in the characters shoes.
Brittany Nelson 6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brittany Nelson 6 »

I know there have been a few but one that stands out is Wish You Well by David Baldacci. He's such a great author I've enjoyed all of the books I have read by him. Wish You Well is just a little different than all the others and had such an amazing , heartfelt storyline... I couldn't put it down.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

There’s one I immediately thought of as soon as I read this topic! It’s not a book that makes you cry at the end, but something like 50 pages in you start tearing up and it just keeps going and going as the situation worsens till I at least, just have a constant stream of tears for like, 1-2 chapters before it does a jump ahead for passing time.
It’s “The Ship Who Searched” by Anne McCaffrey. I read it when I was like, 10 and haven’t really stopped.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

I feel like i’m the only weird one here because i’ve never cried over a book. I don’t even cry over movies. Maybe i just haven’t found some really sad ones though.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

jsmyla wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 21:50 There’s one I immediately thought of as soon as I read this topic! It’s not a book that makes you cry at the end, but something like 50 pages in you start tearing up and it just keeps going and going as the situation worsens till I at least, just have a constant stream of tears for like, 1-2 chapters before it does a jump ahead for passing time.
It’s “The Ship Who Searched” by Anne McCaffrey. I read it when I was like, 10 and haven’t really stopped.
Currently looking for a book that would make me cry so i guess i’m going to be reading this.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Ash Subra wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 02:26 Not one but few books. The last one was while reading Its end with us.
I’ve had this on my reading list for a while i think it’s finally time to give it a chance.
Nora Eliana
Currently Reading: Die Sekte - Es gibt kein Entkommen
Bookshelf Size: 2285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nora-eliana.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nora Eliana »

I did not expect to cry at the Kiss Quotient but definitely did. Twice ...
And I literally sobbed while reading And the way home gets longer and longer by Fredrik Backman ... so touching! So good!
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

hee via wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 00:06
jsmyla wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 21:50 There’s one I immediately thought of as soon as I read this topic! It’s not a book that makes you cry at the end, but something like 50 pages in you start tearing up and it just keeps going and going as the situation worsens till I at least, just have a constant stream of tears for like, 1-2 chapters before it does a jump ahead for passing time.
Currently looking for a book that would make me cry so i guess i’m going to be reading this.
I hardly ever ACTUALLY cry over a book or movie. It has to be something that’s really unjust as well as sad, AND the sad part has to go on long enough to go through my stages of “oh no!, This is terrible!, I’m tearing up a bit… I sniffed a bit… It’s getting a little hard to see… a tear finally fell… they’re STILL dragging me through this?… I’ve actually got multiple tears already, you can stop anytime… *dam breaks*”.
I’m not avoiding crying, it’s just that I’m TOO sensitive about non-fiction so I don’t even want the news much less read the genre. Then with any kind of fiction I know it’s not real so why would I cry about something made up? (never speak of The Green Mile)
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

We had to read it for senior year and the day it was due, I was amazed when the first thing the teacher asked was "Okay, did anybody cry when reading this book?" Turns out she and I actually cried at the same parts. :)
Anett Fangli
Currently Reading: Gilded
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anett-fangli.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anett Fangli »

Heartless by Marissa Meyer, it wasn't the saddest book I've ever read but I still cried. Then when I started to reread it, I sobbed 50 pages in remembering the ending.
Micheal Lamina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-lamina.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Micheal Lamina »

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Micheal Lamina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-lamina.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill