Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

Elizabeth Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rose.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Elizabeth Rose »

Bridge to Terrabithia by Katherine Paterson, made me cry so much when I read it for English studies. I still have never watched the movie because I knew it would make me cry.

The Horse Whisperer by Nickolas Evans, is another one that has spoiled the chance of me ever watching the movie. Perhaps, one day when I need a good cry, I will break it out of storage.

The Nevermore series by K.A. Poe made me cry in the last book. the main love interest dies and then she spends years in a mental institute because she can not deal with his death. Then to top it all off, you discover that her true love is actually still alive and she suffered for nothing. There is another thing that really irritated me about this series, the way it ended meant that if you wanted to find out what happened to the characters you had to start another series.

There are always going to be more that have made me cry but these are the first few that popped into my head.
Lexie Price 1
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexie-price-1.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Lexie Price 1 »

At least once every few years, I reread The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and inevitably, there are waterworks.
Ruth Emmanuel
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ruth Emmanuel »

One of the books that made me cry was "House of Earth and blood by Sarah J. Maas, and if you read beneath blood and bone by Madeline Sheehan you will shed tears.
Maria Tsarouche
Currently Reading: Doyle's Law
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-tsarouche.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by Maria Tsarouche »

The Book Thief. I just couldn't handle the ending.
novitasolossa
Favorite Book: How to Live a Life of Hope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by novitasolossa »

There are many books that can make me drown in tears, but the one that seems to me the most is "Hachiko: A Dog's Tale".
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

The Reel Sisters made me cry when one of the girls died in a tragic accident. I was not expecting it.
Nur Sakinah 2
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nur-sakinah-2.html
Latest Review: The eSmith Eye Story by GranRan

Post by Nur Sakinah 2 »

I cried a lot when reading but the book that recently made me cry was It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover. I bought that book because of recommendations from social media and I was well aware that people cried reading the book. Bought it, read it, and didn't find anything to cry for until I had a few pages left. I bawled until my eyes were swollen for that one dialogue; "What would you do? If one of these days, this little girl looked up at you and she said, 'Daddy? My boyfriend hit me.' What would you say to her, Ryle?"

I was almost disappointed because there wasn't a single sad scene before that page. I even wondered what did people find this book saddening? But when I cried after reading that particular scene, I understood. It hit when it was least expected.
Debra Morgan
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debra-morgan.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Debra Morgan »

Cujo, the book not the movie, because the book ends in a completely different way. I also bawled like a baby during Marley and Me! I was so heartbroken since I've lost pets of my own. It sucks. Lovely Bones is another one that just hit me so hard. And My Sister's Keeper. I read a lot of really tear-jerking books, I'm learning right now. lol
Real Dii
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-real-dii.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Real Dii »

I don't really get emotional reading some books. 'Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adiche' was really a different story for me. It was engaging and I felt a lot of emotions reading that book.
Sh3rW1
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Nick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherica-wilson.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Sh3rW1 »

There is one book that I can recall that made me cry a lot and exposed many wounds I didn't think I had. It is called Claudia, Where Are You by Hila Colman. It is about a 16-year-old girl who ran away from her troubled upper-middle-class family to live on the streets. The book portrays the main character's experiences and trials both in the first person and the third person. I was so scared for her for two reasons mainly. She is female and an underaged, inexperienced girl living on the streets of New York City in the 60s.

Other books include: Zoya , and Kaleidoscope by Danielle Steel, and To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

'The Green Mile' by Stephen King made me cry. The character of John Coffey was so well done that I was sobbing by the end. Watching the film was even worse. Even though I knew what was going to happen I was still horrified by the ending.
Caroline Gavelfalt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-gavelfalt.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Caroline Gavelfalt »

Oh my gosh have I, I got given the book "the One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot" by Marianne Cronin when I was temping at penguin random house and I had just lost my Nan so it was the most beautiful view of death and how to deal with it
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I'm trying to think of a book I read that made me cry but just realize that there's seemingly none. However, with the way I felt recently after watching a movie series, I think I can cry for a book. But at the moment, I haven't read any book that made me shed tears.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

No book has ever made me cry after reading. Maybe someday, I will get to read a book that will do that. But for it to happen, it will be a book that really gets into my emotions because, honestly, I don't really cry for books.
Lori Phoenix
Favorite Book: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness
Currently Reading: The Castle Of Troubled Souls Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reading Device: B071KGVXVS

Post by Lori Phoenix »

Anything with emotion. Or even, slightly sensitive situations. :D :wink: :mrgreen: :P

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”