Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

Kirsti Friesen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

P.S. I love you Celia Ahern. Such a tear jerker!! I don't cry during many books, but that one got me for sure!!
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

I have cried reading so many books, but the one that stuck with me the most was this book called 'Smoky'. It's about a grey horse with a temper, and man it is so well written,,, I was bawling.

The other one is Bridge to Terabithia, but I'm pretty sure that's a universal experience for anybody who reads that.
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

I think Norweigan Woods made me cry at the end.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

OMG I forgot about the Bridge to Terrabithia! The movie wasn’t NEARLY as sad as the book! And it also made me remember another one that I’ll deny to anyone I know till the day I die simply because the movie was absolutely crap and if anyone thought I cried about THAT I’d be mortified 😣- Nicholas Sparks: A Walk to Remember
And for anyone who’s read this book I want to know who the HELL casted Mandy Moore for the lead and thought it was a good choice?!?!
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jsmyla »

Also, believe it or not, I cried reading The Prince and the Pauper. I started reading when I was 3 and literally read one Berenstein Bears book then straight to novels. My parents got so frustrated trying to explain what “new words” I came across meant, they bought me a dictionary, it was a kid’s dictionary so they had to buy a real one too, but I used it for whatever I came across. That book was how I learned that a “f* a* g” (don’t want mods to block when it’s literally word origin and meaning) is literally a cord of wood intended for burning leading to its use in England for a cigarette. I was young enough when I read it that I just naturally expected people to be better than they were, and while I understood WHY the pauper didn’t want to switch back with the prince, the way he treated him made me cry at the inhumanity of it all from beginning all the way to that point.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

I mean I've got really emotional at books sometimes. But most of them just made me sad and watery eyes but never cried out loud.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jsmyla »

Towfiq Juma wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 08:21 I mean I've got really emotional at books sometimes. But most of them just made me sad and watery eyes but never cried out loud.

I’m EXACTLY the same. The sad parts just don’t last long enough to make me ACTUALLY cry in general, or if it’s happy/sad or just happy tears they never fall even in IRL cuz it kinda feels like I’m dishonoring the happy and letting the sad win (true or not but feelings aren’t logical and anyone who expects to be is just silly- emotions are the opposite of logic even though they CAN be used in concert for better harmony).

I’ve had to think REALLY hard on this topic except for the one book that I immediately thought of when I was reading the title and first few comments I came across (Anne McCaffrey/Mercedes Lackey- The Ship Who Searched) which doesn’t make you cry at the end, unless you happen to be emotionally happy, it makes you really really like, if not love, the main character in the first, I think, 2 chapters, then a random accident happens that she doesn’t understand the consequences of, but you’ve been given the information to make 2+2. So from there it’s like reading the saddest slow-building avalanche that you know is going to absolutely wreck the main character: her dreams, her relationship with her family, not even mentioning the absolute genius she is, has with measurable talent in anything she finds even slightly interesting that’s all going to fall out from under her and while you know it’ll be bad, you know HOW bad will depend on how well she handles it. The whole build up makes you tear up enough for the tears to start leaking, then when the avalanche hits you just cry buckets between the reactions AND the aftermath. It’s a VERY sci-fi book but also very much about humanity and what it actually IS regardless of whether someone IS human vs alien, or how much of their body doesn’t work/is cybernetic etc.

Example of brains and personality: she was 5, I think, at her parents work party and very bored trying not to embarrass her parents. Then someone offered to play a game of chess with her and taught her how the pieces moved since she hadn’t played before. She concentrated super hard on every move made by both players and ignored the giggles of the adults who saw her being so serious, then won the 3rd game. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a grandmaster and was slightly peeved so wanted to go again… he lost again. After that he made arrangements with her parents to play weekly long-distance for the fun and challenge even though many guests were upset at her lack of respect to which she replied “no, letting him win when I could have beaten him and he could see it would have been a lot more rude because it would have been like lying to an elder”.
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

So you did cry😂
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jsmyla »

Yup. That’s the first book I posted in this forum. I’ve had to think really really hard about any other books since then. Mainly I’m a fast reader and I don’t have time to do more than slightly tear up before it moves past whatever the sad part is. Plus I just don’t cry easily. But oh boy that one got me, and I STILL keep reading it because it’s such a good book too!
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

In the novel Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, I really felt for the character Obinze. All the hardships that he went through made me she'd a year. In the book, the author has used vivid description very well and you could easily sympathize with the characters.
Wanjla Carl
Currently Reading:

Post by Wanjla Carl »

Also I really enjoyed shakespeare's book Othello. I really liked the language used and the descriptions. The plot was very interesting. In the end of the book, I really felt bad for what happened to Othello. I might have she'd a year.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jsmyla »

I can’t even with Shakespeare. Every time someone gets upset about Romeo and Juliet there’s just someone else I feel the passing urge to throttle. Cuz 13 and 14yos are just so capable and responsible and make great life decisions?
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

The first time I remember crying when reading a book, was when Dumbledore died in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I also got choked up on reading The Wind in the Willows, Anne of Green Gables and The Little Prince.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
Mailab
Currently Reading: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mailab »

Neve Alone (by:Lyn Cote)
True Grit (by:Deborah Meroff)
And lastly and foremost THE HOLY BIBLe.
Mailab(⁠✿⁠ ⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠)
Wanjla Carl
Currently Reading:

Post by Wanjla Carl »

"Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare: This is a tragic play tells the story of two young lovers who are caught up in the rivalries of their families. The sad ending almost made me shed a tear.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”