Is it true, reading makes you 'smarter'?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jasmine1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is it true, reading makes you 'smarter'?

Post by Jasmine1995 »

Iv'e heard reading makes you smarter. This sounds odd but since ive started reading I appear to be doing better at school especially in my english class. Since I've been reading my vocabulary has extended and im also a good speller.
Does anyone else think reading makes you smarter?
Shari_K

Post by Shari_K »

I agree, reading makes you smarter. I've told that to my daughter many times, she hated reading then early in the year she started reading the Twilight series and she loved it. She read all 4 books in about less than 2 weeks and took the tests for her reading class and passed all the tests with high marks. Since then, she has been reading more and doing a little better in school, it has made her want to do better in school. I think you also learn new words this way. Of course, I'm bias because I love reading!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

The question is, how could reading NOT make one smarter? Aside from expanding your vocabulary, you're also learning how to derive information from written (and spoken) word better with each book. Plus, you get to analyze the viewpoints and personalities of the authors who impart themselves into their stories, which helps you solidify your own thinking and viewpoints. (Or add on to them.)

Honestly, I'd like to hear to an argument that reading doesn't make you smarter, but we'd see one on this forum. The closest thing is if you only ever read one genre at one level and never expand in any way.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

Yes. Reading is the most important skill and it has be developed since childhood to grow smarter and successful in life. It makes us mature to handle the situations in life in a better way.
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Yes reading will definitely make you "smarter".
It's kinda like a work-out: if you work out your body will become stronger, healthier, your endurance will improve and your body will be capable of things it couldn't do before.

The same goes with reading, although how much you'll improve will also depend on what you read - then again, the same can be said for working out.
mohses

Post by mohses »

so if i frequent public toilets with fanatical enthusiasm, to read the graffetti scribbled on the cubicle door, i have a claim to mensa :wink:
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

mohses wrote:so if i frequent public toilets with fanatical enthusiasm, to read the graffetti scribbled on the cubicle door, i have a claim to mensa :wink:
While your sarcasm has given me my daily dose of "eye roll," I affirm your unintended argument by saying that you'll gain a bit of insight into the local base level culture; certainly, you now know a phone number NOT to call. Ergo, you're that much "smarter." But please, don't make me argue this kind of point again. A bit of my soul died just now.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
selfer

Post by selfer »

I believe it makes you more educated -- something that can pave the way toward being smarter. Occasionally, though, you run across books that forever change the way you look at the world. These books influence a lot of your decisions, hopefully for the better. I suppose would be an example of books making you smarter. Ultimately, I think reading makes us learn more about ourselves, which is one of the most important topics we can be experts on :)
NoLeftTurn

Post by NoLeftTurn »

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everthing been said.

Reading does make you smarter in terms of vocab and all that. However, I reckon it also expands the ideas you may have about life. You can read a book that deals with a certian subject and the result will be you saying "I have never thought about it like that." Call it philosophy, or whatever.
lpooloriginal

Post by lpooloriginal »

I dont necessairly think that reading can make you smarter. I read around 100 pages a day and i love reading. But just because i can read doesnt make me any better at math or chemistry. And trust me in high school i read those books all day long lol. On the other hand i know personally i would not be as good of a writer if i didnt read as much. Reading helped me alot with my SATs and has in the long run made me a successful writer. I believe it depends on the person and what they read and how much they read.
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

At my age, I feel somewhat in a position to relate that my brother has not really read a 'book' in his entire life. While this has not prevented him from being successful in his career, and he has generated a sizeable bankroll, he is so difficult to get an interesting conversation out of. He comes across as a bit of a moron in fact, I mean that quite healthily, but it is virtually impossible to get a structured discussion on any subject whatever, he just doesn't have a clue about anything really.
By reading, one becomes, as a matter of course, a sponge for the written word to be soaked up into. It makes the reader a more capable, interesting and educated person able to converse with the fellow man, not just make wisecracks to overcome your lack of knowledge..
Each to his own though..
thischarmingmanc

Post by thischarmingmanc »

depends on how smart you are to start with and what you read.

Im sure reading some stuff make you more stupid :)
divengrabber

Post by divengrabber »

yup definately cuz it brush up our brain and increase its capacity 2 by heart things faster or to get things quicker.
certifiedbookworm

Post by certifiedbookworm »

It definitely makes you smarter. The more you read, the more your vocabulary will expand because you're exposing yourself to new things.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

Reading opens your mind to so much; reading a simple novel can branch out your mind's horizons more than you'll realize. For example, Anne Rice's novels have gotten me interested in the art of Botticelli, history, the works of William Shakespeare, ect. Then, looking up Botticelli has gotten me interested in other Renaissance art. See what I mean? Your mind and interests can broaden tremendously through reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”