Is it true, reading makes you 'smarter'?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Neci_Cuttino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is it true, reading makes you 'smarter'?

Post by Neci_Cuttino »

Reading definitely increases one's vocabulary. When reading a book, I learn new words all the time.
I actually just learned the word Satiety.
I also learn how to use uncommon words more commonly like the word deviate.
I never used to use that word and now i find myself saying it often.
louisemwilcox13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louisemwilcox13.html

Post by louisemwilcox13 »

I would have to agree that reading makes you smarter in that it gives you access to a large amount of information that is difficult to come by in any other way.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” -George R.R. Martin
kae12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kae12.html

Post by kae12 »

Yeah, reading does make you smarter. Other than the scientific explanation of exercising your brain, I think it makes you smarter because it increases your knowledge. Say you're reading a Dan Brown book and there are all these terms and explanations of cryptography and it confuses you. Wouldn't you be curious to read up more on it? And when you do, you retain that knowledge and when someone mentions something, you'd naturally share the information you have and well, of course people would think you're smarter. You know more.
That's just how I think it works, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

I disagree. It mades you more knowledgeable of certain topics but I don't think I'd say or makes you smarter.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

Yeah. I'm pretty sure.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I am not sure how reading couldn't make you smarter. You are exposed to new words, new thoughts and new experiences every time you pick up a book.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
MRosalina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrosalina.html

Post by MRosalina »

I imagine that compared to those who don't read, your vocabulary and creativity/imagination would be improved. However, it would depend on how you define 'smart'.
Jolijt
Currently Reading: Tell the Wolves Im Home

Post by Jolijt »

Yes, it's true. (for me)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Of course it does - Students attending university are still said to be "reading law/medicine/arts etc"
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
scuster

Post by scuster »

I would say reading opens your eyes and brain to new information around you. For example I read history books about the civil war and other historical events it helps paint a more perfect picture of the event in my mind and at the same time I learned more subjective information about the event.
faithyou

Post by faithyou »

I don't think reading makes you smarter, so much as sharper. It teaches you to pay attention to detail, help you remember specific details, etc.
mikesx50

Post by mikesx50 »

I've recently retired and have -for the first time in about 40 years- started to read some of the classics. I am in no doubt that reading broadens your mind and can introduce you to a World previously unknown to you. This is particularly true as I'm currently reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Previous to this I read Tess of the D'Urbervilles and this helped me to understand some of the views -albeit misguided- held by the St Clare family.
Danielle Eve
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-eve.html

Post by Danielle Eve »

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

― Albert Einstein
shellbell319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellbell319.html

Post by shellbell319 »

I am a freshman high school English teacher, and I tell my students all of the time that reading is a great way to increase knowledge. Not only is it the best way to expand your vocabulary, but it opens your mind to many places, people, and ideas. I think the best book is the one that pushes you to think of a different viewpoint and makes you reflect on your own values and why you believe what you do. Reading also pushes you to have empathy, and having empathy allows you to think about other people before making decisions. Thinking about other people and other angles is always the smarter approach.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes, not just reading but learning makes us smarter. Some people can read and still not get smarter, learning makes the difference.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”