Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tanchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanchett.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Post by tanchett »

All the time - I spend the next day like a zombie but it's always totally worth it. There's nothing quite like reading a good book while snuggled in bed. It's a total bonus that that's when the house is quietest.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I have been a victim of my own curiosity. Which lead to sleep less nights and drowsy days at school the next day. I can not let go of a good book until it is finnished.
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

I missed a number of night sleeps for a book because I just cannot resist leaving it in the middle.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

It's the other way around for me. I stay up and read when I feel that can't sleep.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I don't know that I've read the entire night but there have been a few times I've stayed up later than I normally do to read a book. I remember when I was reading the third Harry Potter book, Prisoner of Azkaban. I was up half the night finishing that book because I couldn't put it down. Luckily, I didn't have to go to work the next morning because I had that day off. I remember when the final book in the Harry Potter series came out. I was trying to finish reading that book before anyone spoiled it for me. I think I stayed up half the night to finish that book as well, however, I don't remember if I had to go to work the next day or not.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

Just one more chapter... ten minutes later, just one more chapter...

I’ll wait until there’s a good place to put it down... that would be a good place to stop for the night... turns another page

Maybe not a whole night but close to on more occasions than I can count
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Ooh yes! I severally have missed sleep because I was engulfed in an interesting book which had twists and turns plus mysteries that I wanted to unravel.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 15:21 I did this with almost every Harry Potter book. I waited in line for the midnight release of the book and stayed up for the rest of the night reading it. I love that series and still read them at least once a year. A few times I even called in sick to work so that I could reread the book (or finally get some sleep). lol
This is getting interesting, not sure I have missed the whole night sleep reading a book since I started working full-time.
Still stay up late into the night.

Calling in sick is another dimension to it, I can only imagine.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Countless number of times.
MusicalFetty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musicalfetty.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MusicalFetty »

I've had my fair share of sleepless nights just because I was hooked on a specific book. I don't regret it though. :D
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Yes.A good book keeps me glued to my chair for ages. I find myself sleeping late when I have to go to work next morning.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I also do it. If the book is too interested I won't get sleep till I finished it. But it doesnt happen for all books though.
E_Sethna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by E_Sethna »

I have! I was so mesmerized by what I was reading, which was J. R. R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring. During the night of the first day I had started reading it, I was planning to get some rest but my brain wouldn't settle down--it was too occupied thinking about the story. As I was tossing and turning and caught a glimpse of the book on my dresser, I couldn't stop myself from getting up, turning on my cute dollar-store book light, and reading for many more hours.
chloelogan3
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by chloelogan3 »

I have done this so many times before, it is usually because I'm so engrossed in the book that I don't realise what time it is. I think one time I have actually neglected sleep completely to finish a book and was absolutely exhausted the next day as I had zero sleep :shock:
gshallar_
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gshallar.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by gshallar_ »

I have done this many times. The first time I remember doing it was when I read Perks of Being a Wallflower for the first time. I just could not get myself to put it down.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”