What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sinchan Rai K
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Sinchan Rai K »

Rich dad poor dad
4.5/5
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Yanis Varoufakis was the Greek Finance Minister in the left-wing Syriza government during the global finance crisis in 2015. In Adults In the Room, he describes in intricate detail, and very entertainingly for a subject that is technical and potentially very dry and difficult to understand, how he battled the financial and political forces of Europe in an attempt to free the Greek people from the ravages of austerity.

But Varoufakis was pushing the proverbial uphill from the very beginning, as the forces against him were immensely powerful and influential.

Varoufakis and his team worked tirelessly to put forward countless proposals, showing a willingness to be flexible and compromise where necessary, but always with the objective of achieving respite for the Greek people and an opportunity for Greece to escape the crippling debt burden and return it's national economy to health.

But he was rebuffed, double-crossed and shot down relentlessly at every turn, until even his own leader and Cabinet wavered under pressure, failed him and their country, and submitted to the will of the troika by accepting new large loans with appalling conditions attached, which reduced Greece to a condition of servitude, almost slavery, to the powerful European nations led by Germany.

Maybe not for everyone, because of the technical financial detail and political machinations, but I found it to be a completely fascinating insight into global power structures and international financing.

4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, I'd rate it 4.9 out of 5
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

I can now say I have read Plato's The Republic, tick it off my list so to speak, but I can't say that I was particularly engaged or inspired by it.

Plato has written a philosophical treatise about the society of his times, using a fictional discussion between Socrates and his friends, in the form of questions and answers to 'test' various hypotheses around government, the nature of justice, good and evil, the sciences and art, music,religion and occupational value in society.

There were many examples where I found the reasoning clumsy, illogical and very dated in the examples used. A modern philosopher would easily dismiss the arguments attributed to Socrates as very flimsy and amateurishly constructed indeed.

Only if you are keen - 3 stars out of 5

A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

How to be successful by Curtis McCoy.

Sometimes it's cool to read other people's experiences and their journey and learn from their life and mistakes. We don't have to learn from our own mistakes alone. This book is perfect for that
kirismy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirismy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by kirismy »

The last book I read was a translated novel from Chinese: A Hero Born by Jin Yong. I would rate it a 5/5.

My dad originally introduced me to the Chinese dramas based off of it, so I was ecstatic to hear that they translated some of the books. It's very entertaining with a combination of wit, comedy, and action. I also just finished the sequel and am moving on to the third book. I'm kind of putting it off because they haven't finished translating the fourth book yet, but I am very excited to read them all!
Yukesh shiyamvasan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukesh-shiyamvasan.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Yukesh shiyamvasan »

The last book I read was 5AM club by Robin Sharma. I would rate 4 out of 5 for that book. Yet that's a great book which has key insights on self mastery...Thank you :tiphat:
Archis Gokhale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Archis Gokhale »

Keeper of the lost Cities by Shannon Messenger I would give it 4.5/5
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (2006) by French author Muriel Barbery is a surprising little charmer of a novel.

It delights in the nuances and creative usage of language, is playful and challenging, and evokes sensations of happiness and warmth, with a little sadness thrown in for good measure.

Renee Michel is a plain, 54 year old concierge at a Parisian apartment block at number 7, Rue de Grenelle, where she lives quietly, frugally and unobtrusively, while maintaining secrets that none of the other residents suspect.

Paloma Josse is a 12 year old, highly intelligent and precocious girl living in one of the apartments with her family, who is firmly resolved to commit suicide and burn down the apartment block on her thirteenth birthday.

When one apartment is purchased by a wealthy Japanese widower, Kakuro Ozu, a welcome and significant new dynamic emerges for both Renee and Paloma.

This is a playful, reflective novel, an homage to the beauty and pleasure and importance of the arts, at once intelligent, witty and ever so slightly wicked and mocking in its contempt of dullards, and those lacking imagination and prone to type casting.

Although the novel ends on a somewhat sombre note, we are left with, through the voices of Ozu and Paloma, a sense of positivity and promise.

Some books can be a delightful surprise, and this is certainly one. 4 stars out of 5

gab_variable
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gab-variable.html
Latest Review: Valoria by Tayma Tameem

Post by gab_variable »

My last book was To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars, it's a really winning The Little Mermaid retelling. All throughout it's bursting with great banter and fun subversions of the original tale. A must-read.
Gothic_Book_Lover88
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading: Shattered
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Gothic_Book_Lover88 »

I've just finished reading Void
by Tayma Tameem. I gave it the most amount of stars I could.
It was gripping from the start and I couldn't put it down :) xxx
Imanijohn
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imanijohn.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Imanijohn »

Yesterday by Samyann. The book was excellent. Gave it 5 out of 5 stars.
Gift Olubankole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftabbie.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Gift Olubankole »

The last book I read was first love by Momi Robins. I gave it a 3 out of 4 ratings, because I got confused on the flashbackings. Nonetheless, it is a great Christian novel! Anyone who likes Christian romance should check it out.
AbbeylincolnSty
Currently Reading: The Intelligence Factor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbeylincolnsty.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by AbbeylincolnSty »

"Last Dance" by Stephen Manning. I awarded it 4 out of 4 stars. Great wisdom on how to navigate the different seasons of life.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz was the last book that I've finished reading. It's a wonderful read and I've rated it a 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”