What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Okoliqueen18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okoliqueen18.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Okoliqueen18 »

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars rating because it was replete with profane words. However, the book was a great and insightful read.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Wild World by Peter S. Rush, 4 out of 4 stars
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 756
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 73: Stranger in a strange land by Robert A. Heinlein. Perhaps the only thing more tedious about reading about a religion is reading about the creation of one. Actually, I thought this book was going to take another direction when I read the premise and the genre. I feel cheated.
In short, I do not recommend it as a science fiction book, but as a rather macho vision of a new and rather decadent religion. If you think that dichotomy seems interesting, in reality it just made me angry.
If it is taken as black humor, perhaps it is better off. 2/3
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I just finished Solaris Seethes: (Solaris Saga) by Janet McNulty, I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars.
It was a fun, action-filled sci-fi book of unlikely companions and a transporter space ship with an attitude, visiting different planets with their own dangers in search of special crystals! I really enjoyed it!
(I read this book in two days, would've been quicker if I didn't have to work!)
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 74: I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron. It has depressed me enormously to realize that I am old because of how much I have identified with this book. It seems that I would have written it, and that is already enough to say. Sure, a cosmopolitan me who is a little superfluous, but I think I can be forgiven. But it has made me smile all the way through the book anyway, so my mood hasn't all saddened.
I liked the kind and benign narration of the author towards her own weaknesses, which she assumes gracefully and makes me even sympathetic.
So I recommend this book to older women... like me. 4/5
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

I just finished Reconfigurement and the City of Fallen Angels. Both such great books, rating both 5/5
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

The last book I read was silver rose by Jane Feather. It's a good romance novel and I rate it a solid 10.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 75: Girl, interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. I don't know, there are moments in which you think that the protagonist is nuts, but there are others in which you suspect that the doctors are crazier than her. The fact is that suicide cannot be taken lightly and even if she was fine and stable in many moments, it is the seconds of weakness that can be fatal.
Anyway, I don't think it's a recommended book for teenagers, especially those who romanticize sadness or mental problems because the author does a little. But grown adults could do with feeling a little more understanding for people with these illnesses so it's a good read for them. 4/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 76: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. This novel goes to my favorites without hesitation. The friendship bordering on infatuation of these two girls who become women together is one of the most moving and saddest plots I've read in a long time.
That added to the customs and social hierarchy of their families in classical China make it almost impossible for their relationship to last for so long, and only their faith in themselves managed to keep them so close until the end. The secret writing of the nu shu, among other typical Chinese topics, were also very interesting to learn.
I recommend it to everyone. 5/5
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

The last book I read is Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer. And I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is so informative about retirement planning. Everyone should read it once.
upyoursobc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upyoursobc.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by upyoursobc »

I've recently read The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Initially, I didn't like it - the characters felt a bit arrogant - but as I kept going, their vulnerabilities were exposed so delicately, and by the end all the bits and pieces tied up together beautifully. I rate it 4 out of 4.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 77: The Red tent by Anita Diamant. The stories of the Bible are always more interesting than the ones we remember. This book tells the story of Diná, the daughter of Jacob, sister of José, who had a tragic destiny and was forgotten in the religious book, but whom the author collects to narrate the customs and beliefs of women at that time. A fairly didactic and not heavy story about the female thought of the time that can serve as inspiration for many readers. I recommend it for everyone as a story, if you are looking for a religious history though, it is definitely not the book you are looking for. 5/5
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Rebirth- 5/5
natalia_plesca
Currently Reading: "LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by natalia_plesca »

The last book i read is "The old man and the sea" by Hemingway. My rate is 5 out of 5. I really enjoyed it.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

the last book I read is "for all I know: A shebang of checklists for life" by Dushka Zapata and it's absolutely amazing 4 out of 4 stars. It's a book full of checklists for various situations in life that you'd go through and the emotions that follow. I definitely recommend it. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”