What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Brooklyn Stout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklyn-stout.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Brooklyn Stout »

The last book i read was The Loop by Ben Oliver! I would have to say this was my favorite book of all time. I really enjoyed the story line and i will definitely be reading the second one. As well as keeping an eye out for this author.
Joachim4 +
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Joachim4 + »

Last book I read was Cynthia and dan by Dorothy May Mercer....it was really epic and had a unique way of connecting characters.
Katrina Wood
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Katrina Wood »

The last book I read is... Took by Mary Downing Hahn. Its free at Goodreads. Nice book for juvenile readers. Easy read. 4/5 rating.
Sonie Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonie-daniel.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Sonie Daniel »

The last book I've read was ' Man Mission' by Eytan Uliel. It was a good book and very interesting. I gave it five stars. The book had me thinking deeply about my own life and what is it I want most for my self.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

It was Terms of Service by Craig W Stanfill. A sci-fi dystopian novel that I really like. I only gave it a rating of 4/5 though. My book review about it is already done and still pending. Definitely recommend the book to everyone who's into sci-fi and AI.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The last book I read is The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings and I rated it 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading about those five friends.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

I also learned some fly fishing tips from the book. I bet anyone who is interested in fly fishing will really love the book.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

Bianca Morano wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 00:53 It was Terms of Service by Craig W Stanfill. A sci-fi dystopian novel that I really like. I only gave it a rating of 4/5 though. My book review about it is already done and still pending. Definitely recommend the book to everyone who's into sci-fi and AI.
I love Sci-fi books but I haven't read this one. You mentioned that you really liked it, why did you reduce the rating?
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

Sonie Daniel wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 16:13 The last book I've read was ' Man Mission' by Eytan Uliel. It was a good book and very interesting. I gave it five stars. The book had me thinking deeply about my own life and what is it I want most for my self.
Such a book that makes the reader reflect. I think I would like to read it too. I'm going to read reviews of it to get more information.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

human reader wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 15:09 The Illustrated Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - 9/10

Sherlock manages to be as engaging now as he ever was. These 12 original stories show that he was always destined to be a legendary character. Reading how he solves mystery after mystery with his keen intellect inspires oneself to sharpen their own mind.
That is very true about Sherlock Holmes books. It always inspires the reader to harness the detective in them. Nice one.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

Olivia Bird Whitworth wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 17:13 The last book I read was Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue. I gave it a 5 out of 5. The compilation of stories wasn't really my style, but I enjoyed learning about how Mark grew his Chicken Soup for the Soul series to popularity and all of the other things he did. There were so many things I didn't know about. For instance, Mark was a speaker to life insurance salesmen before he became a writer.

Haven't picked a new book yet, but I've been rereading parts of Mindful Birthing by Nancy Bardacke to help me with my pregnancy.
I have seen this book almost everywhere! :D I will probably be adding it to my bookshelf soon and I will read it as soon as I can.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

James Smith 42 wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 05:19
Bianca Morano wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 00:53 It was Terms of Service by Craig W Stanfill. A sci-fi dystopian novel that I really like. I only gave it a rating of 4/5 though. My book review about it is already done and still pending. Definitely recommend the book to everyone who's into sci-fi and AI.
I love Sci-fi books but I haven't read this one. You mentioned that you really liked it, why did you reduce the rating?
There is something I didn't understand from the book so it become a struggle in my reading. I'd recommend you give this book a try and see for yourself. :wink: It's a really good sci-fi book!
James Smith_
Currently Reading:

Post by James Smith_ »

Bianca Morano wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 05:33
James Smith 42 wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 05:19
Bianca Morano wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 00:53 It was . A sci-fi dystopian novel that I really like. I only gave it a rating of 4/5 though. My book review about it is already done and still pending. Definitely recommend the book to everyone who's into sci-fi and AI.
I love Sci-fi books but I haven't reTerms of Service by Craig W Stanfillad this one. You mentioned that you really liked it, why did you reduce the rating?
There is something I didn't understand from the book so it become a struggle in my reading. I'd recommend you give this book a try and see for yourself. :wink: It's a really good sci-fi book!
Alright. Thank you for the recommendation. I'm currently reading another book, but once I'm done with it, I will pick Terms of Service by Craig W Stanfill next.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

Emperor: A New Life of Charles V (2019) by Geoffrey Parker. 5/5 stars. Not completely finished (slow read due to use as a research book as well), but I have read enough of the book to give, I feel, a respectable review considering my knowledge of the subject matter.

Considering anything related to the early 1500s and the geopolitical landscape before the rise of Charles V to the Imperial throne in 1519 is hard to come by with any in-depth details (the internet, for example, is a minefield of misinformation, so be careful), I found Mr. Parker's in-depth account of the emperor to be a refreshing take on an account of history (1430s to 1520s for my research, specifically) that has been largely neglected due to its lack of big, flashy "world" events outside of the notable various Italian Wars.

If you pair it with Leonie Frieda's Francis I: The Maker of Modern France (2018) and Jane de Longh's Margaret of Austria: Regent of the Netherlands (1953), you get a very detailed account of those early Imperial transitional years between Maximilian I's final years and death (1459-1519; r. 1486-1519) and his grandson's rise to power in Charles V (1500-1558; r. 1519-1556). The French political schemes and how history could have played out differently is perfect from Parker's account and he does a fine job without the assistance of any other books (that I mentioned above), however (if anything), Parker's book validated things that Longh suggested in 1953 with the limited available documents & research at the time but seemed to have been hard pressed to present as fact, whereas Parker was able to validate Longh's research with newly discovered documents and historical facts that put everything in place.

Parker's work is a must-have for anyone serious or, simply, curious about Charles V's rise to power and both Margaret of Austria and William de Croy's involvement in that rise, to speak nothing of how close Francis I came to securing the Imperial throne and the world having a French-controlled Holy Roman Empire instead of a German one. Very well written by Mr. Parker and a thick, rewarding read at 737 pages.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

The last book that I read was “A Man and his Pride”. It was an amazing novel that I would rate a 4/5. This is because gave me insight into a new perspective, it also dealt with a number of important topics, is topical and relevant. It was also just a beautifully sad/happy book 📕 that I would definitely recommend to others.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”