What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Redlegs »

On Beauty, winner of the 2006 Orange Prize (for Women) and short-listed for the 2005 Booker Prize, is one that I warmed to slowly.

However, the wry wit and humour that is so associated with Zadie Smith is certainly present, and she has created some wonderful characters again, even if the plot is a little thin and the pacing uneven. The female characters in this novel are by far the most engaging and richly drawn.

The novel gathers momentum as it goes, and becomes more engrossing as the family members of the Belseys and the Kippses become more familiar.

Smith writes with her tongue firmly planted in her cheek quite frequently, and there is plenty of humour underlying some more serious reflections on the nature of marriage, family, fidelity, academic life and issues of racial politics.

This is a really enjoyable novel as we have come to expect from Zadie Smith. 4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Mssandrapayne3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mssandrapayne3 »

Good Luck With That by Kristan Higgins
NaturallyJesuss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NaturallyJesuss »

KJV Holy Bible - Rating: 5/5

'Natural Hair Hair Growth eGuide Calendar' 2021 - Rating: 5/5
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Fixer, winner of the 1967 Pulitzer Prize for fiction, Bernard Malamud's tale of the persecuted Russian Jew, Yakov Bok, a humble repair man, is a beautifully constructed, intelligent, if at times somewhat depressing, novel about pre-revolutionary Russia.

Set in Kiev in 1911, Yakov Bok is a very humble fixer, a peasant who travels from house to house with his tools, seeking payment for undertaking minor household repairs, who has a miserable life that is about to become a whole lot more harsh and oppressive.

Yakov decides to leave his village to try his luck in Kiev, hoping he can find more work and earn a few extra roubles. But when the body of a young boy is found in a nearby cave, stabbed multiple times and drained of blood, Yakov is quickly apprehended and accused of ritual murder.

But Yakov, who admits to being born Jewish, but who is no longer a believer, and now claims to be a 'free thinker', is resolute in proclaiming his innocence, and demands that an indictment be brought against him so he can defend himself in court.

Malamud has written a compelling, brutally revealing and oftentimes depressing account of Yakov's imprisonment, and exposes the incompetence, malicious cruelty and despicable political and religious malice of the prison officials, who see Yakov not as an individual but as a symbol of their fear and hatred of all things Jewish.

Malamud has impressively exposed the politics and fear of the times, and the history of Russian persecution of, and ruthless pogroms against the Jewish people.

This is an impressive novel, not for the faint hearted, certainly worthy of a Pulitzer Prize, and deserving of a wide audience. 4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Justina kaloki
Favorite Book: A Few Trivial Felonies
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reading Device: Oppo

Post by Justina kaloki »

:tiphat: :tiphat: Dream for peace
By Ghoulem Barrel
It's a story about his life ,he lived a valuable and purposeful life to live and with no limitations.
He had no human barriers regarding how he was brought up and the family he had.
We was a freedom fighter .
I would rate it at 7/10.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I just finished reading We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. It was a hyped-up book in OBC and after I read it, I understood why. I rated it 3/4. It was an amazing read, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Avonlea
Favorite Book: Sense and Sensibility
Currently Reading: The Power of a Positive No
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avonlea.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Avonlea »

I just finished reading The Dental Diet by Dr Steven Lin. It’s a substantial book, but a quick read because it’s so interesting and well written. I would rate this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Dr Lin is a Dentist who, disheartened by simply fixing problems with his patients’ teeth, wanted to become more proactive in helping people to live with healthy mouths.

The Dental Diet is based on studies which show our diet has changed in recent generations and created problems with crooked teeth, overcrowded jaws, gum disease and cavities that did not exist in the past. The diet is designed to create a healthy digestive system (mouth included). It does so by delivering the oxygen and nutrients needed for a well developed jaw, straight strong teeth, and healthy gums. The book includes a 40-day meal plan to improve your dental health. It includes recipes and exercises for breathing, the tongue muscles, and the jaw.

Anyone wishing to investigate a new approach to their dental health and any parents who wish to help their children grow up with well developed jaws, straight teeth and fewer cavities will find this interesting. It’s also a great book for gaining a really clear understanding of the new knowledge emerging about the microbiome in our gut and how our diet can help its diversity.

Dr Lin writes very clearly on these complicated topics. I only deducted half a star because the recipes included are not particularly designed with children in mind. He does not really talk about how to adapt the plan to encourage children to follow it. That aside, it is an excellent book and well worth reading.
Hops2
Currently Reading: The Blue View
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Hops2 »

The last book I read is The Nouveau Riche by Olga Alexander, but sadly I couldn't finish the book because it was not a goo read. It therefore got a 1 for me.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

As Old as Time: A Twisted Tale by Liz Braswell. It was SUCH a refreshing take on Beauty and the Beast, which is easily my favorite Disney fairy tale. I was concerned that including an interpretation of Belle's mother would make the story kind of hokey, but the characters were VERY well written. The interaction between Belle and Beast feels less Stockholm Syndrome-y and more organic. It includes a great dialogue about discrimination. I easily rate it a 5/5!
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

The last book I read was The Reel Sisters, a very entertaining book about fly fishing and true friendship. My rating was 4 stars. I wish one day I can have real friends to share moments like this women did.
Romi Ramb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romi4everram.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Romi Ramb »

We Are Voulhire: A new Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tyzs

It is a great book, a fantasy book, full vivid imagery, and endearing characters.

I gave it 4 out of 4. I really enjoyed it!
CygnusX1
Currently Reading: A Promised Land
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by CygnusX1 »

I just finished "What Have You Done" by Matthew Farrell.

I would give it a 4 out of 4.

Zippy characters, fun dialogue, a great twist, and a book I loved every second of. This was a new author discovery, and a great one at that.
Magidi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magidi.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Magidi »

The last book I read was The mindset by Ace Bowers. I gave it a rating of 4 out 4 stars , because the book is relatable and it got me thinking about changing my mindset.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I recently finished reading Strong Heart, which is the first book in the Strong Heart series, by Charlie Sheldon.
It's a really good book and I've rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I just finished reading My Friend Marilyn by Christopher Lentz. It is a book in the great American destination series and was set in locations one can visit even today. It was a delightful read and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I actually hope it would have a sequel
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”