What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Redlegs »

Three Men In a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) (1889) by Jerome K Jerome is mostly a very funny short novel about three friends (and Montmorency, the dog of the narrator, J) who decide to venture on a relaxing boat holiday along the Thames from London to Oxford.

The humour is a little reminiscent of the best of British slapstick , sort of an older version of the Carry On films, minus the smutty sexual innuendo.

Apart from the many humorous misadventures of the trip itself, the narrative is scattered with anecdotes as friends recall past incidents and bizarre situations, all of which add to the frivolity and hilarity of this crazy tale.

And yet, when Jerome steps away briefly from his comic narrative, there are many fine examples of beautiful descriptive prose, with some of his descriptions of the scenery and weather being quite delightful and almost poetic. There are moments of peaceful reflection, of bucolic idyll.

3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

4321 by Paul Auster was a rewarding introduction to my 2021 reading schedule. If it's not exactly a masterpiece, it's at very least a favourite first cousin to one. Certainly ambitious, and initially daunting at 1070 pages, there is nothing to fear at all in tackling this veritable tome, as there are certainly many hours of pleasurable reading to be had.

After a brief introductory chapter describing new citizen Ichabod Ferguson's settlement into his adopted homeland, we are introduced to the story of young Archibald Ferguson, his father Stanley and his mother Rose. Archie, as he is known, is the grandson of Ichabod. But, there is not just one, but four Archie Fergusons, all born in March 1947, to Stanley and Rose, living parallel lives in the suburbs of New York.

What Auster has contrived here is four alternative versions or life paths for Archie and his family, designated by chapter headings 1.1, 1.2, 1,3, 1.4, 2.1...etc.

But what this novel really is, is a historical and sociological primer of American society in the 1950 and 1960s, especially the 60s. This was a period of enormous social change, not just in America, but in much of the Western world. Archie's life (or lives) captures all of this period of upheaval and revolution.

All I can say is, don't be daunted by the size of this novel. It will take a while to read it, but it is certainly worth the effort and you will be justly rewarded for your commitment. 5 stars out of 5

gsmiley11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gsmiley11 »

Finished the Ash Princess series by Laura Sebastian. Total 5/5, great story with feminist undertones as well as a classic love triangle. Brings magic and medieval-style society out in a way I've never seen before.
Sister_Su
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Sister_Su »

The last book I read was Decree by Patricia King published by XP media.
I loved this non-fiction book so much that I have been telling everyone to get a copy, and posted a review on my blog Turtle Dove Thoughts.
I gave my copy to a young woman living in an isolated community that has no public library, and I find I really miss having it now, so once I get a permanent address again, I'll definitely be ordering another copy.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

Just finished a Christian literature titled The Force of Hope. It's a very powerful book. And i would rate it 4 out of 4 stars
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Kurt Vonnegut is an incorrigible cynic, and he is certainly in searingly fine form with Breakfast of Champions.

This is undoubtedly a quirky novel, a biting satire, in which Vonnegut shoots his poisonous barbs with unerring accuracy at many aspects of American culture.

There is not a lot of plot in Breakfast of Champions, and Vonnegut foreshadows, quite deliberately, much of what is to come.

While not as great as the wonderful Slaughterhouse Five, this is, nevertheless, an entertaining and fantastical rage against the excesses and hypocrisy prevalent in much of 1970s America. It is a unique, brilliantly original, sometimes bleak, but often hilarious read that will keep your attention from beginning to end.

4 stars out of 5

GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

Last book I read is The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars
Nicol13
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nicol13 »

All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. I rate it 3/5. A story with a big potential but the writing for me was to complicated, skipping from one character to another to often. I would also have loved a little more suspans in this story. In my opinion the time frame was to big.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. It's full of comedy and you'll find yourself laughing silly.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Birthright06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birthright06.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Birthright06 »

I read Blue View by Rodney Mutterspaw and rated it 1 out of 4 stars. I was hoping to read an interesting journal about cops, but the book somehow disappoints me. :(
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

I just finished reading My Friend, Marilyn by Christopher Lenz. I would give it 4 out of 4 stars. I absolutely loved it! It provided an interesting perspective on the Hollywood starlet and what it would be like to get a glimpse of her world. It had a thrilling plot as well beyond Marilyn's story. I would highly recommend it!
kmteter26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmteter26.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by kmteter26 »

I just finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and I would rate it 3/4 stars. It was a really great read and I highly recommend it. My only complaint was that it was a little predictable. It's a fantasy-fiction, but it's super relatable because of the author's amazing way of describing the way the characters think and feel. I will definitely be seeking out more from the author.
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

My last book was We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. It is a great fantasy book, with a lot of action, very well written too. But a bit confusing sometimes. I gave it 3/4 .
Maeha
Currently Reading: How to Develop a Super Power Memory
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maeha.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Maeha »

Last book I read was "Worldlines" by Adam guest and I rated it 5/5
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I've just finished reading a sci-fi/fantasy novel. Worldlines by Adam guest. I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”