Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JATC Smith
Currently Reading: The Most Important Lessons in Economics and Finance
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by JATC Smith »

I like reading because reading makes me knowledgeable of things, places and people and I love to be informed. Reading improves my view of the world and also my vocabulary. In addition, reading helps to bring out my creativity. Infact I prefer reading over watching telvision (not that I do have a television, infact I have a laptop which I use to search for free books to read online as I am not yet able to purchase books that I like and want to read just yet)
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I like to read because it provides me an escape from life’s every day routines and stressors. By reading, I can explore different worlds and meet new characters. I also like to read to gain knowledge of different cultures and places. Another plus is that reading expands my vocabulary. There are so many different authors and books as well as genres. I like to read because it never gets boring. There is always a story or adventure waiting!
funmilayo_h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funmilayo-h.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by funmilayo_h »

This is like asking why I love seeing movies...I like crime and horror because of the chilling effect it gives me, you know, being in your own world experiencing it alone and later narrating to those who haven't read...its exciting
Sheena Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheena-louise.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Sheena Louise »

I didn't know when it started but reading a book has become a part of my life. I was the only child of my family so I don't have much fond childhood memories like playing with my playmates except for reading. It started from children's books to pocket books and now novels. Reading is a good way for me, not to escape from reality but to enter another world beyond of what I know. You know, like how writers could make readers' minds transport to the world inside the book.

I love reading much as I love writing. And I could say that my love for writing has been influenced by my love for reading. Reading makes life more magical like how your imaginations had gone wild after reading a book, got inspired and you started making your own story. Well, as an introvert reading is basically much I always do. :lol2:
Sheena Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheena-louise.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Sheena Louise »

I didn't know when it started but reading a book has become a part of my life. I was the only child of my family so I don't have much fond childhood memories like playing with my playmates except for reading. It started from children's books to pocket books and now novels. Reading is a good way for me, not to escape from reality but to enter another world beyond of what I know. You know, like how writers could make readers' minds transport to the world inside the book.

I love reading much as I love writing. And I could say that my love for writing has been influenced by my love for reading. Reading makes life more magical like how your imaginations had gone wild after reading a book, got inspired and you started making your own story. Well, as an introvert reading is basically much I always do. :lol2:
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

I love reading, not only because it keeps my mind sharp and my vocabulary updated, but it also exposes me to new worlds, cultures and people. I especially like books that address present issues and challenge my worldview and perceptions. There is no better way of escaping the troubles of everyday life.
Tigerzaay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tigerzaay »

I like reading because it's a good way of spending my quality time improving my talking skills and also learning new words which helps me improve my Language.Reading also helps in being a creative and an imaginative person.
andreap_2901
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by andreap_2901 »

Life can get repetitive, boring, and stressful; reading opens up an escape where you can find a whole new world of ideas, people, and more. You can also learn so much from reading from life lessons to things that can help you ace your next test. But personally, my favorite part about reading is learning and falling in love with the characters.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I like to read to increase my knowledge and it also helps me to improve my imagination skills.
beth_d_05
Currently Reading: in the time we lost
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-d-05.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07ZPKR714

Post by beth_d_05 »

I know this is an older question but I felt I’d answer anyway. I love reading because it helps me escape for a bit and is always there for me. I have pretty bad anxiety and reading helps me relax, collect my thoughts, and go into someone else’s world for a while when things get bad.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I like reading for two reasons:
1. Acquire more knowledge and understanding of the world away from me.
2. To pass time
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I like reading for two reasons:
1. Acquire more knowledge and understanding of the world away from me.
2. To pass time
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Initially, as a child I read because it was something one was supposed to do or something one had to learn to do to be good in school. Later, I read to fill the time and because I liked to read for the sake of the story and to learn more. That was probably my mindset until high school and college when I started reading "real" books for "real" reasons! Reading became more technical and complex, but also fun as I learned to assess writing a little bit better. Now, if I'm in the mood to get lost in the story, I pick up a certain kind of book but if I feel like really interacting with the text, then I pick something a bit more technical.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Writing is an art form. There is so much detail that goes into every aspect of writing. Reading is just a different version of viewing art.
dereson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dereson »

Basically, I read for very few few fundamental reasons:

* I know what I know but I may not know what the author knows and the only way to know is by reading the author.

* I believe knowledge is the only deliverance from ignorance.

* Ideas you may not be aware of may come to you while reading.

These really are the very fundamental reasons why I do read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”