Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Word Wise Wiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-wise-wiz.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Word Wise Wiz »

I love reading because I find it to be a wonderfully immersive experience that teaches me a great deal about my fellow human beings, expands my perspectives, and takes me on incredible adventures around the world (and beyond). Through books, I can also explore the complexities of human emotions, behaviours, attitudes, and relationships, which helps me to develop greater empathy and understanding for others. I also love how reading introduces me to different cultures and experiences, broadening my horizons and enhancing my appreciation for the remarkable diversity of human life on this beautiful planet. And let's not forget how exciting it is to lose oneself in the stories of characters from different worlds and times! All in all, I find that reading is a truly enriching and enjoyable activity that provides me with the opportunity to learn, grow, and experience the world in new and exciting ways.
Gwen Johnson
Favorite Book: Two Brothers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwen-johnson.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Books take you to another life other than your own all be it in the safety of your armchair!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I love reading because it took me to a whole new world. It's also improve my vocabulary. Different experience from each book and reading different people's mindset is always give me joy. Besides, it's a great hobby.
Shabad19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shabad19 »

I think reading gives me peace and positivity to see the world. It allows me to respect others’ viewpoints and expand new knowledge. I enjoy the reading same as I enjoy the music.
Queenelene
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Queenelene »

To shift worlds from reality to fantacy.
It's a form of stress reliever.
Broadens my thinking capability.
I love reading books.
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

I like reading, but mainly only fiction.
It offers me a mean to escape from the real world.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

I read to travel to new or familiar haunts.

I read to gain knowledge of others, their folklore, their culture.

I read to escape worries and find peace in good mystery.

Reading and books are a way of connecting with other minds, that have the ability to communicate their imaginations with us.
Amy LeJeune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-lejeune.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Amy LeJeune »

I like reading for the entertainment and education. I learn so much from historical fiction and escape into mystery to challenge my thinking.
JkReviewer17
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-najibullah-qanit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by JkReviewer17 »

When i am bored, it helps me get over my time and i enjoy it.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

i love reading because they are just like conversations; you never know how they are gonna turn out. some are old and familiar like a life-long best friend, some are new and exciting, some utterly bore you, some stimulate or anger you, some are thought provoking, some are like those friends you party with (great for distraction, useless for any depth).

but i think the best ones are the ones that stay with you always, whether you read them once or a hundred times. like when you meet a great person and you stay up the entire night talking... thats what reading a truly great book feels like to me
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

It opens my eyes to the reality of life.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

Reading has always been an escape for me. It taught me a lot about myself and who I am as a person. Being an introvert has had its challenges, especially growing up and not realizing that it is fine to appear quiet, but have a very rich life outside of the external world. Reading was a gateway for me to connect with my internal world and work out what genuinely interests me.
Laura Ismajli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

Reading for escape seems to be a common thread here. That is how I started, and how I grew to love it. As a kid I used to read fantasy and fiction, but that slowly dropped off once I got into high school and college. I only recently got back to reading multiple books a month.

Now that I am older, I have started reading more self-improvement and educational books. I love it because I feel that the written word is a way for people to express what they mean, in a very clear manner. Watching talks or videos, listening to lectures, etc. doesn't have the same feel to it. The amount of time and preparation that goes into a book makes it that much more enjoyable. It allows the speaker to take the time to put their ideas in to the clearest format possible and minimize possible misinterpretations.

I still read for escape sometimes. It's what started my love of reading. That love has developed into broadening my worldview and education. I believe that each book has something unique to offer. So as long as there are books, I will be reading them! :D
mrmadam

Post by mrmadam »

I like reading because it gives me that feeling that someone is massaging my brain. I even incorporated that particularity in my own book. I wanted to reader to feel this when he s reading my work.
Ellie Greenberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ellie Greenberg »

Like lots of people, maybe most, reading has always been an escape for me. When I was a kid, the world was filled with magic and wonder and books fueled that wonder. I believed in all the magical mysteries and felt connected to history and all its incredible people and stories, I lived in hundreds of different worlds in hundreds of different people with hundreds of unique experiences. I found escape through living their lives.
As I grew older I lost a lot of that magic. I stopped reading as much- in high school I barely had any time at all. Due to health and personal circumstances, reading became a luxury I couldn’t afford. When I became an adult, I rediscovered the magic in reading. I lived on my own and made my own rules and one of the ways I coped with the difficult times I had to endure, was becoming someone else for a while, in a world where the problems of the protagonist were fantastical, and far away from my own life. I feel sometimes like I was able to survive a lot of the traumas I’ve endured because I could escape in a book. And because the words in my books made life seem so much more manageable, and so much more desirable than the thoughts going around in my head. And no matter what awful things happened to the people in my book, the story kept going. There were still pages ahead, the story would keep going. Reading is so important to who I am and I’m glad to say it is likely one of the reasons I am here today.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”