Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Simmons32 »

I enjoy reading because it is my escape. Ever since I was a little girl, I have used it as a distraction and a way to cast away my problems for the moment. Books were there when I didn't want to go to school, when I had medical issues, and to this day when I have struggles. It's the best way to be somewhere else for a little while.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

It is something beyond words. It is an unexplainable mix of random emotions. I like it as I get to dive into a completely different world and enjoy every moment of it. Whether it's sci-fi or a thriller, the plot makes me live out each scene. It takes me out of the earth and diving into the world of imagination and creativity.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

Reading expands the horizon of your mental capacity. Information about things and climes you never knew, you know by reading. Reading also expands the range of your vocabulary. I don't think I can fail an English Lexis and structure exams because the words to be set, I have probably seen it before in the course of reading one book or the other.
Carol V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-v.html
Latest Review: ABM is B2B. by Sangram Vajre

Post by Carol V »

I enjoy reading, especially non-fiction. I experience reading, not as an escape, but as doors opening to information that, with a good writing style, allows quality nuggets to become part of one's own innate knowledge and which one can share which others. This can occur through unplanned and casual conversations, empowering others too. It is a pleasant form of life-long learning.
Mabosi paul brian
Currently Reading: Through my window
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mabosi paul brian »

I like reading just because it broadens my minds as i get across new and educative things in the world and also keeps me intourch with my friends on website and by so doing, it strengthens friendship inbetween the two.
lasts, i just love reading.
leeho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeho.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by leeho »

i don't think i have the exact reason, but i have always loved reading since high school and i'm obsessed with it, reading makes me happy and it sharpens my mind. Reading different books from different authors just makes you connect with the imagination world.
Viking_Mama25
Currently Reading: The Winemaker's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 137

Post by Viking_Mama25 »

I love reading! Since I was a little girl. My mother would have to ask me to please do something else LOL! I love the way a book can transcend me to another place and time. I love the knowledge I gain from many types of books (I'm all over the board with my reading genres) and I absolutely love the way a book smells. I love thinking about the person writing whatever book I'm reading and imagining how hey even came up with the story or what they must've gone through in order to write a book (self-help etc...) I don't care about going to the malls...take me to a bookstore!
DebiMabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DebiMabel »

Why do I love reading? Reading is just one of my hobbies. It helps to improve my vocabulary. Reading great non-fiction books improves my creativeness. There are some non-fiction books that I can relate to making me feel I'm not the only one going through whatever I'm going through at the moment. I can see life from different perspectives and that is wonderful.
Vivian Amponsah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Vivian Amponsah »

I love reading because it defines me. Anytime I read I see my true self. And to enquire knowledge.
Bhaskar Rogha
Currently Reading: Twilight
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskar-rogha.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Bhaskar Rogha »

I like reading because it keeps me aware of the all the possible alternative views of any given situation. That helps me in making better choices, which in turn brings better results.
jaduncan624

Post by jaduncan624 »

My love of reading started at a young age. My mother would often read me bedtime stories every night. She always found the time, even as a working single mom. As I got a little older, we started reading the Laura Ingles Wilder books together. These were the first "novels" I remember reading. From then on, I was hooked. I was a bit of a solidarity child- preferring to escape to my own worlds in my books. I remember the days of standing in line at midnight for a sequel to a popular book to be released at the store. I remember staying awake under the covers with a flashlight, trying not to get caught reading! Reading was a form of escape, but it was often a form of rebellion! I loved the adventure of it all.
Rexan
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexan.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Rexan »

:techie-studyingbrown:
sleepydumpling wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 21:58 I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.

Honestly, this is also the reason I read. I will add learning to the list because reading has a way of molding individuals into great minds. :techie-studyingbrow
Bookfest101
Currently Reading: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfest101.html
Latest Review: The Ping-Pong Champion of Chinatown by James Hanna

Post by Bookfest101 »

Books give me an insight. Helps me understand and come closer to people I may never meet. I get to see why and how they do what they do. It helps me understand alot of things.
Manik Chaturmutha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manik-chaturmutha.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Manik Chaturmutha »

Reading has helped me grow, see things from new perspectives, and travel to different and amazing lands, and that is why I like reading.
Thor_Rence
Currently Reading:

Post by Thor_Rence »

I love reading simply because I can learn new things, especially words, diseases, and sentence structure. Apart from that reading enlarges my scope of thinking and the way I see life. I also enjoy the thrills, the suspense, as well as the fact that I can begin to imagine the scenes or scenarios as it plays. Reading is my life

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”