Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I love reading because I like knowing about more different cultures and people living in other parts of the world.
I started reading to improve my English. Reading also calms me when I'm upset. When I'm reading a book, I feel like I'm part of the story. It makes me share the feelings and thoughts of the characters. Their sadness and happiness.
There is so much to learn from reading a book.
Mr_rabbit
Currently Reading: Oathbringer
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-rabbit.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Mr_rabbit »

My reason varies from time to time, sometimes to relax, often to live the life of various heroes and feel the thrill of their adventures, and rarely to just kill time.
Paul Kabugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-kabugi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Paul Kabugi »

I can't really remember why I first started reading but I know that, like most people, for the longest time reading was a means to escape this world and plunge myself headfirst to all those other worlds authors created. I'm not sure when this changed but now I love reading for more than just its ability to take you places. Now, I see reading as a means of learning and it'll surprise you just where you get this lessons from. I could be reading a manga and by the time I'm through, I can't help but marvel at just how skilled the author was in incorporating real life lessons while his character shouts, "Gomu Gomu no Bazooka!"
Banat Elias
Currently Reading: An Offer from a Gentleman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Banat Elias »

I love reading because its an escape from harsh reality and a love getting that positive happy feeling from a good book.i always grin and live in my own world when i get my hands on a good book
Mariam Tj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Mariam Tj »

I like different genres. But I think I prefer nonfiction the most
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

Reading brings me pleasure. It gives me information, knowledge and skills which makes me a better person.
novitasolossa
Favorite Book: How to Live a Life of Hope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by novitasolossa »

I love reading because it's something that's pretty important to me. In addition to increasing knowledge but also for entertainment. Especially by reading I was able to visit different places and know a lot about the world out there.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I like reading because I can then experience so many things through the stories and I can also escape into another world through the books.
Real Dii
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-real-dii.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Real Dii »

First of all, it is kind of a quiet moment for me. It lets me dwell in some sort of sanctuary and provides a lot of serenity for me. Another reason would be that I just love books, the way a lot of authors have their way with words, the way the characters are built, and the beauty of the imagination involved is captivating.
Sh3rW1
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Nick
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherica-wilson.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Sh3rW1 »

I love reading for the following reasons:

1. It is an escape into a different world. I can imagine the characters, their surroundings and feelings. In my opinion, reading a book is way better than watching a movie.

2. I am introduced to different cultures, scenarios etc. that I probably will not get a chance to experience in my lifetime. Movie lovers might say that they can experience that from a movie, but in reading, the concepts are better explained and developed ( if the book is well written). I remember reading a romance novel once and the backdrop to the book was about fishing and the diamond trade and I learnt so much. Even to this day, I can recall some of the phrases relating to the above-mentioned topics.

3. It facilitates the expansion of your vocabulary and knowledge. Reading allows you to know a bit about almost any topic. It always fascinates some of my associates that I know so much about diverse topics. Funny thing, I read the caption on videos with the sound off.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

I love reading and have done ever since I was a little girl. I would spend hours reading during the school holidays and would devour whole books a day. I remember the excitement I felt when I was introduced to the library. I would imagine it was the same kind of excitement Matilda felt in the Roald Dahl book.

Books open up whole new worlds and you never forget characters that changed your perception of things or were there for you when you needed them. I still love Alice in Wonderland and The Chronicles of Narnia 30 years on from reading them for the first time. I will never forget the magic of those early novels, and I love finding new worlds and new magic. I don't think I will ever get tired of reading, even if it's something I've read many times before.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I like reading because of the exposure it gives to me. Reading is more like a hobby to me. When I get into a difficult situation, I see reading as the way out. Reading gives me so much joy.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

There's a popular saying that reading makes a man. When I read, I see it as an avenue to gain knowledge. Thus, I read because I desire to known and learn more things.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I like getting lost in a story. It gives you hope that not everything is always lost. You somehow hold onto the notion that something like that could one day happen to you. It is sometimes blissful to get lost in someone else world even if it is just fiction.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

I really like reading because it helps me to learn a lot of things. I develop that since I was a kid and have become a keen reader and learner. In fact, apart from being in a classroom, through a teacher, or with a parent, many things you will learn through self-reading.
It's not about fiction or nonfiction, or how interesting the story is or how complex a theory might be documented, it makes sense when you read and become aware of it.
Reading is a journey in isolation with the expansion and exploration of one's mind. Many things in life, you will face alone, the decisions you make or the things you do, and that will come down to your understanding of life through that isolated journey of reading.
a musical mind!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”