Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tabitha Hennagan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabitha-hennagan.html
Latest Review: Dreamer by Loretta Kendall

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Tabitha Hennagan »

I like reading because it's my way to take a vacation without leaving the house. I love to read about Scotland. I have a great time imagining the endless, green hills and the flowers that are described in the books. The description of different cultures and rituals help me to understand others better and teaches me to embrace others. I enjoy the mental rest achieved from reading and the ability to find peace within a book.

My favorite books are romance novels and books from older time periods.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

I basically read to gain knowledge and exposure. The more I read the more I'm able to contribute to conversations, improve my vocabulary and improve my mentality as well.
marian Kaitesi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marian Kaitesi »

I love reading because it gives me an opportunity to create my own characters in the books.
At times when things are not going as expected in my life, all I have to do is read an interesting book and it will transport my thoughts to a more desirable place which greatly brightens my day and helps me relax.
Lazizazo18
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Lazizazo18 »

I like reading because it refreshes my mind and makes my time go smoothly
Lucreatia Alexander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucreatia-alexander.html
Latest Review: Past Imperfect by G D Harrison
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lucreatia Alexander »

When I was younger maybe seven or eight I once got home from school and no one was home. However , I found note my mother had left, being not so smart and illiterate I didn't understand what she had written. That day was a memorable one for me because I realized it was crucial a person knows how to read and by extension write. Progressing in age reading became something I really enjoyed, a blessing that I could understand and interpret words. Reading became my way to experience the world, broaden my knowledge and imagination which I think is important too as one gets older. I read as hobby, for enjoyment, to travel and live in our people's shoes. It's really an ethereal experience to be an avid reader.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

I love reading because... after reading a book it opens me another door of seeing my life.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Reading allows me exercise my brain, imagination, and basically escape real life and experience 20 years event in 2 days.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

I’ve read since I could. I grew up in an abusive family, parents fighting all the time. Reading a book took me into another world, sometimes better than my current situation, sometimes worse, but always a different place. I’ve been known to open a book and not put it down until I’m done, whether it’s one day or four. I carry it to the bathroom, to work, stay up all night, read while I’m walking (I’ve run into a lot of walls in my days).
Theres nothing better than a good book that draws you in, makes the world around you disappear, blocking out good and bad vibes alike. It’s usually fiction, or sci-fi, that can help the brain come to life and draw me away from the negativeness. I get concerned when my ability and desire to read diminishes; it’s part of who I am, for me not to read is a sign something is wrong with my world.
Silvia Pearl
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-pearl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Silvia Pearl »

Reading gives me the imagination of different lives, world's, adventures, and so on. Reading also provides me the safe escape from the real world at times. And reading has always been my fascination.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I love reading because it ignites the imagination. It takes you literally anywhere. You get to experience entire lifespans, other worlds, births and deaths of beloved characters, and feel deep emotion. When a book is well-written, you can feel the stirrings of love, the thrill of a chase, despair of a crushing defeat, and even the pang of jealousy. You do all of this in the safety and comfort of your own life. You can close a book and walk away if it’s too much. Conversely, the book can be your lifeline if the real world is too much.
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

I read for many reasons. Sometimes I read to learn and other times I read because it allows me to be different characters and live different lives. I enjoy the fantasy of it all as much as I enjoy growing as a person. Reading is like watching a movie in your head. I really enjoy that part.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Reading has been there when no one has. It takes me to better worlds or worse worlds trying to be a better one. I find pieces of me scattered in all books and learn to be compassionate.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

Reading is a way for me to escape the realities of this world. Reading brings me happiness.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Lauren_Lewis
Currently Reading: Beren and Lúthien
Bookshelf Size: 700
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-lewis.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lauren_Lewis »

It's hard to answer that really because I remember that I wasn't a big reader growing up. Not that I didn't like reading, it's just I preferred other things. It wasn't really until early high school and my friend introduced me to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films that I felt tempted to read the books and then from then on I became an avid reader. I think it was the fact there was more to see, more to learn, and more to obsess over! Now I love reading a book and seeing if there are other adaptations of it and vice versa.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

I love reading because it helps me spend time in the minds of successful people.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”