Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Steeven Cuvi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Steeven Cuvi »

Im obligated to know more concepts providing of other people, but its not necessary replace my first thinking about something or someone else.
Eddy Asiimwe
Currently Reading:

Post by Eddy Asiimwe »

Reading is therapeutic, it puts me in a world far beyond ...into the story I am reading. Even in the most noisy place....my mind travels away, blocking off any other thing. Without a book, I feel lost.
Eddy Asiimwe
Currently Reading:

Post by Eddy Asiimwe »

Reading is therapeutic, it puts me in a world far beyond ...into the story I am reading. Even in the most noisy place....my mind travels away, blocking off any other thing. Without a book, I feel lost.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

Steeven Cuvi wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 13:34 Im obligated to know more concepts providing of other people, but its not necessary replace my first thinking about something or someone else.
I think I know what you’re saying. I don’t necessarily change my opinion from reading, but if I see a good point or new information I DO consider it and I’m open enough to change my opinions BECAUSE of consideration, but not just because I read something. I don’t like opinions based on gossip any more than based on something someone read once.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Phillip Ngoua Obame
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillip-ngoua-obame.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Phillip Ngoua Obame »

jsmyla wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 10:38
Phillip Ngoua Obame wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 03:21 One of the main reasons why I love reading so much is the opportunity to gain knowledge. Whether it's delving into historical accounts, expanding my understanding of different cultures, or learning about scientific discoveries, reading provides a window into the vast expanse of human knowledge.

Ooooh, you pointed out something I hadn’t thought about in my last reply. I used to, and still do, read a lot of scientific papers, usually the studies so it’s not a layman’s take on the results (which they usually interpret causation instead of correlation). I’ve never considered it “reading time”, but I should. I used to do it because I worked in clinical microbiology then pancreatic cancer research, then because I was diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome that causes all sorts of other rare conditions and I do the research because it’s untreatable so doctors don’t know what to look for and I usually have to bring in papers to diagnose myself so they can get symptoms under control. But I also stumble across stuff that’s just plain interesting like a paper about 2 weeks ago on what’s basically science catching up to the paranormal- neurological conditions causing extreme empathy of various kinds caused by an increased number and activity in mirror neurons. I also read educational materials that provide information on different sides of philosophical issues because I dislike having opinions without the facts, or at least a darn good basis for the reasoning.
😉👍
Εν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα
Kirsti Friesen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I think I love reading so much because it gives me an outlet to the craziness of my life. I can escape for a little while into a different world and just immerse myself in the authors words and create the world in my head. It gives me excitement to try to figure out what is going to happen next and try to figure it out before the end of the book.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

It gives me peace of mind for some reason.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

Reading is like a way to escape from reality, I call it freedom lol.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Oh also in most cases, reading is basically a way to learn new things and look at things from different perspectives.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

To be honest I genuinely don’t think I can describe why I enjoy reading no matter how hard I try, it’s quite literally the best feeling in the world.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Elizabeth McNutt wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:26 I read to travel to new or familiar haunts.

I read to gain knowledge of others, their folklore, their culture.

I read to escape worries and find peace in good mystery.

Reading and books are a way of connecting with other minds, that have the ability to communicate their imaginations with us.
You best described how reading makes me feel and I have to say the accuracy of this is just immaculate. I honestly wish I could get lost in books and not worry about any other thing forever.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

The written language can be a beautiful thing depending on the writer
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

It's gets me away from the real world, which can be stressful at times. When I delve into a novel am more relaxed and will think better afterwards.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

I like reading because it helps me in many ways. For example, it helps me improve my vocabulary, it also improves my motivation. It also helps me get ahead of the news, learn about other cultures, and gain new insights into different topics.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

At first, it was for escapism and entertainment. But now I do it also for education and enlightenment. I realize reading has a deeper and more useful purpose, more than just mere time-passing activity. It is not just a hobby anymore, reading is a lifestyle.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”