Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I like the fact of entering in a different world, one that someone has created just for me (obviously its not just for me, it's for every reader, but when you read it on your own it almost feel that way). I like being able to experience things that I would never do if I hadn't opened that book. Knowing new people, new places.
Joachim4 +
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Joachim4 + »

The mental space where I read is like a universe on its own such that when I get read,I imagine every scene and assign characters by myself and as the book story goes on,so will the play in my mind.
Sonie Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonie-daniel.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Sonie Daniel »

I like reading because I gain knowledge from it. It opens up my mind to a lot of things I do not know, and it causes me to think deeply. Reading is just pleasurable.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

i love reading because they are just like conversations; you never know how they are gonna turn out. some are old and familiar like a life-long best friend, some are new and exciting, some utterly bore you, some stimulate or anger you, some are thought provoking, some are like those friends you party with (great for distraction, useless for any depth).

but i think the best ones are the ones that stay with you always, whether you read them once or a hundred times. like when you meet a great person and you stay up the entire night talking... thats what reading a truly great book feels like to me
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz

Post by Maileyrom »

For various reasons, and this will depend on the type of book. I read to learn or to be in my own bubble experiencing the lives of different Characters. I can enjoy a good film as well but it gives me more joy to read and finish a good book.

Reading also helps me relax and although I read in different moments of the day, a fixed one is when I go to bed.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

Being an only child and growing up in the time before all the computer, electronic distractions it was a wonderful past time and now it is just a big part of my life. I even have a website that helps promote newer authors and their books. I love to get lost in a good story. :P
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I had a 5th grade reading level at 16 years old (the public school system had completely failed me). I picked up a Star Wars novel (X-Wing: The Bacta Wars) and a dictionary. It has not stopped since, 22 years later. Although I did go through a dry spell in my mid-twenties through to mid-thirties, about 10 years, where I did not read a single book. When I started writing books myself and picked historical-fiction as my genre, I was forced into researching and historical books to maintain the historical integrity of my own writing. That process of reading countless research books for my own books got me back into causal reading for the fun of it.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Jacob Sunday Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-sunday-mamman.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Jacob Sunday Mamman »

To get away from the troubles and hardship of the society at times

To gain more knowledge and develop my vocab
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

Reading gives me a chance to be alone. It’s something I do to relax but also to entertain myself. I prefer reading over tv and movies because I can make the characters look and talk like I want them to. I know reading makes everyone smarter. I learn about different cultures, discover ways to better live my life, and how to do so many different things!
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

I don’t think I’m quite sure. It’s always been part of my life and it runs in the family, even though my siblings don’t read like I do, they still read occasionally, and everything asks my sister if she’s sure her daughter isn’t mine as she basically grew up into a mini-me (in more ways than having a book at all times like a binky she never grew out of).

If I had to make an educated guess and psychoanalyze it then here it is: my mom read to me every single night, was educated enough to know that you don’t have to wait for school to teach your children to read so I was reading by the time I was 3, we have a large dysfunctional family that lived in too-small houses due to money which means no privacy, lots of people around, but not a lot of parental attention of the right kind with 5 kids to care for (I’m the youngest who mostly was forgotten about because I was quiet, well-behaved, did my chores, and, other than making my teachers angry by finishing my class work 5x faster than anyone and correcting them which ended with homeschooling, aced school, and had to pick up my siblings and parents slack (much like my niece) and my mom was the oldest who ended up becoming an auxiliary parent). So what started out as something I ONLY loved became something I loved, my only escape to a private place that was stress free, and a vacation. It then evolved into something centering as an adult, like a quiet cup of morning coffee, or how some people meditate daily, but by the time I was a teenager I literally couldn’t fall asleep if I hadn’t read that day because I’d never missed a day in my life. It would have been like not breathing.
I’m not THAT bad anymore but I still prefer reading daily and love it: it’s a mind vacation to take a break from any troubles while learning amazing things, sometimes life lessons, sometimes philosophical points or points of view you never considered, sometimes just more vocabulary, but always something. You open your mind this way and you BECOME open-minded in real life with so much less judgement of others because you don’t know THEIR stories, all while just forgetting your own troubles for a bit before deciding how to handle them.

I once had a psychiatrist think I was an escapist using books till I explained it that way and that I wasn’t avoiding/procrastinating anything, just de-stressing (if I was stressed at the time) and I never expected problems to go away, just taking a short break to calm myself so I could focus better when I was done instead of feeling overwhelmed. Not much different than meditating but at least I learn things doing it.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Mary Bircher
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

It's quiet!! I hate noise. For the classics, I like to learn what everyday life was like in centuries past.
Phillip Ngoua Obame
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillip-ngoua-obame.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Phillip Ngoua Obame »

I have always found immense joy and fulfillment in the act of reading.
One of the main reasons why I love reading so much is the opportunity to gain knowledge. Whether it's delving into historical accounts, expanding my understanding of different cultures, or learning about scientific discoveries, reading provides a window into the vast expanse of human knowledge. It's a treasure trove of information that fuels my curiosity and thirst for learning.
Εν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

Phillip Ngoua Obame wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 03:21 One of the main reasons why I love reading so much is the opportunity to gain knowledge. Whether it's delving into historical accounts, expanding my understanding of different cultures, or learning about scientific discoveries, reading provides a window into the vast expanse of human knowledge.
Ooooh, you pointed out something I hadn’t thought about in my last reply. I used to, and still do, read a lot of scientific papers, usually the studies so it’s not a layman’s take on the results (which they usually interpret causation instead of correlation). I’ve never considered it “reading time”, but I should. I used to do it because I worked in clinical microbiology then pancreatic cancer research, then because I was diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome that causes all sorts of other rare conditions and I do the research because it’s untreatable so doctors don’t know what to look for and I usually have to bring in papers to diagnose myself so they can get symptoms under control. But I also stumble across stuff that’s just plain interesting like a paper about 2 weeks ago on what’s basically science catching up to the paranormal- neurological conditions causing extreme empathy of various kinds caused by an increased number and activity in mirror neurons. I also read educational materials that provide information on different sides of philosophical issues because I dislike having opinions without the facts, or at least a darn good basis for the reasoning.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Steeven Cuvi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Steeven Cuvi »

I like learn each of time.
Steeven Cuvi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Steeven Cuvi »

When Im reading, my mind can me explain any idea with most clarity.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”