Reading More Than One Book at a Time

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Reading More Than One Book at a Time

Post by gali »

Although I am a fast reader, I read a one book at a time. I enjoy the reading more that way.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jechamer
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jechamer.html
Latest Review: "Death is a Machine" by Zebulon Grey

Post by jechamer »

I generally only read one fiction book at a time, but its not unusual for me to be reading a non-fiction book at the same time. I can only read non-fiction for short periods at a time.
Latest Review: "Death is a Machine" by Zebulon Grey
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

I'm not a particularly fast reader but I like to have various books at arm's length. And usually diverse genres so the stories don't blur together. At the moment I have three novels, The Casual Vacancy, The Briny Café and Solo (new James Bond 007) beside my bed.

In reserve, I have one or two ebooks downloaded onto my iPad which I've borrowed free from my public library.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

Right now I am reading 4 books (just finished the 5th one). 2 are usually ones I have already read and the other ones are new. I keep a book in different parts of the house so that I can just grab one close and start reading if the mood strikes.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

I like to read one non fiction and one fiction book at a time. I read rather fast and the non fiction most of the time is interesting but heavy reading (to much real life can be a downer) so the fiction can be exciting and keep me interested much longer.
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
LateReader

Post by LateReader »

Usually I read two or more at a time, one is most likely one I've read before and have fallen in love with!
bartleby51
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bartleby51.html

Post by bartleby51 »

Mostly it depends on the content of what I'm reading. Usually I'm reading unpublished stuff from the writers workshop I'm in, plus research materials for my own writing, plus something for fun to get my brain back in order. If I'm really working at my own stuff, everything else gets pushed aside. If I can't stand to see another rough draft, I feed on high quality writing, to remind myself what that's supposed to look like! Of course there's always the one you just can't put down until you've gone cover to cover.
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

Only one at a time for me. My wife, though, usually has a handful of books going simultaneously (fiction and nonfiction), some of them taking months or even years to complete.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
adiagerdel

Post by adiagerdel »

I can read up to two books at a time. One that I read at home and one that I carry with. I usually don't do this I try to read one book at a time. That way I can concertante on that one story and savor it better.
Xantos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xantos.html

Post by Xantos »

I used to only read one book at a time, but lately, I have noticed that while I am reading, I get the urge to read a different type of story, and won't feel satisfied or entertained till I can read that story. So now I am currently reading about 5 books at a time: one about guild wizards, one about priestess, one about fantasy mystery in san diego, and another about mystery in chicago. So yeah, I tend to rad way too much for me to handle since I haven't touched some of the books in months. I really should stop doing that...
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Oh gosh, I'm guilty of this. I try not to, but I'm behind my book review requests.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

I'm doing it right now.
I have a daytime library book going, and an electronic nighttime book downloaded from the internet.
Crazy, I know.
everafter09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everafter09.html

Post by everafter09 »

Yes but only if it's like a novel paired with a Chicken Soup book where I can stop at any time and still have a short, brand-new story and then one novel's story-line to follow.
vcbsantos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vcbsantos.html

Post by vcbsantos »

I have the tendency to start many books at once, so I end up reading a whole bunch! I also usually have a book just to read in the metro.
Tiffany A
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffany-a.html

Post by Tiffany A »

I prefer one book at a time but i can do more. Once in college, i had 5 books going at one time lol. 3 for classes, another was just light reading to help me relax before bed, another was an intense just for fun book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”