Do you 'crack the spine'?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sdietrich
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdietrich.html

Re: Do you 'crack the spine'?

Post by sdietrich »

I hate this as well! It's honestly one of the reasons I prefer to buy hard cover books, as opposed to paperbacks. I always have to make sure I'm careful not to crease the spine when I have to have paperback books; with hard cover books, I have less fear of this because there's not really anything to crease. I am always hesitant to lend people my books because of the many rules I have with them! But, creasing the spine is one of the things that makes me the most nervous about ending out my paperback books!
Kiki7138
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki7138.html
Latest Review: "Death Valley Scotty" by Robert Carter

Post by Kiki7138 »

Definitely not, sometimes I would pass on a book at the library if the spine was too damaged.
Latest Review: "Death Valley Scotty" by Robert Carter
OutofOrange

Post by OutofOrange »

I remember back in the day, of having very little money but I would purchase books as gifts. Usually they would be for a like minded readers so I would often be buying them a book that I really wanted to read myself. So sometimes I would read the book first. I quickly developed a technique of having absolutely pristinely clean hands and only opening the book at a what,, 30 to 35 degree angle to be able to read it and keep it in brand-new condition.

Goodness, I have not thought about that in years. I could never do that now, given deterioration of eyesight and arthritic hands. But I do remember many times of holding a book like it was gold or mercury or, I dunno almost gossamer, and feeling guilty for reading it first, because I was always aware of the the thrill of a new book. It was rare (kinda still is) that I would get the opportunity to read a new book that nobody had opened, never mind cracked the spine of. So I kind of feel guilty for doing that.

Dangling participles aside, to answer the OPs question, Yes, I crack spines nowadays. Mainly because it is just easier for these broken hands to manipulate the pages. (FWIW, I am not that old, I just got ferflathered with stupid RA. Makes everything hurty.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

I try not to
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

Oh this is the very reason I try my hardest not to loan others my books. I loathe when people "crack the spine" or bend pages in any way or perhaps rip the cover page if it is paperback. Let's just say it tests my patience.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

Guilty as charged :oops: I guess it's something that I've done from a young age and if I'm reading a new book it just helps "loosen" the book up as I generally like to fold my book over. If I'm reading a used book or library rental I generally don't though.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Tardipug
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tardipug.html

Post by Tardipug »

If I do "crack the spine" I usually cover my books with a book cover printed with the cover design. Gives me ease of mind. Somewhat...
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This is one of the reasons I hate lending out books to people. I feel like many people are so careless with my books that they crack the spine and write and dog ear pages. I try to be as careful as I can with my books. I like keeping them intact.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

I cringe whenever someone cracks the spine of a book. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I won't even loan books to people who I think will in nah way damage the pristine condition of my books.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

I try to keep my books in as perfect condition as I can, but I have been guilty of cracking the spine before. I hate loaning books to my mom as well. She destroys them.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

Usually not, unless it's hard to read otherwise. I do usually if it's at school, but I try not to. I like when books look new!
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I do not crack the spine of my book and if I saw someone doing that I would probably have a conniption fit. I realize people have their own way of taking care of books, but come on...
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
mri42491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mri42491.html

Post by mri42491 »

I will never do it on purpose. I like my books to always look brand new and never read (even though they have been.) It's very difficult for me to lend my books out. I either a)never see them again or b)they come back in an extremely used condition. How annoying!
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I don't do it purposefully, but I am extra careful if I read any of my husband's books. He is pretty particular. I don't even lick my fingers to turn the pages anymore. When we got married, I got the full education about the proper way to handle a comic book. :roll:
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

Ouch! I cracked most of mine...but I am extra careful with books which doesn't belong to me. Now I sound like a cruel owner. :(
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”