Do you 'crack the spine'?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
winterbaby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you 'crack the spine'?

Post by winterbaby »

I do not crack the spines on my books. Recently on a flight I was sitting across from a lady who would repeatedly wring her book back and forth - I swear the pages were ready to fall out! I will admit that it creates some friction between my mom and I when I loan her my books - especially The Outlander and series by Diana Gabaldon. In fact, my brother refuses to borrow any books from me fearing that he may inadvertently crease the spine! Please tell me that I am not the only one with this obsession!
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I don't like to crack my spines, but I also won't loan out books that I don't want messed up. I figure that if I loan out a book, I should expect it to be dog eared and spine cracked. That's just how lots of people flow! hehe
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Guilty as charged ... can I plead insanity?
MrWright

Post by MrWright »

I'm generally quite careful with them. But I'm a bit anal.
Amelia

Post by Amelia »

Fran wrote:Guilty as charged ... can I plead insanity?
Haha. Its a better plea than mine. I just plead forgetting to not open the book too wide because I'm too distracted by what I'm reading! By the time I'm done it's too late.
JoshBransonTeacher

Post by JoshBransonTeacher »

Haha interesting question. I usually don't open the book all the way (180 degrees) so that the spine doesn't get cracked.

If we're talking about a book that I have read and re-read many times, the spine usually gets worn and cracked a bit. It just shows that I've spent some good time with the book. :D
crazy denna

Post by crazy denna »

Hi all
i too didn't broke my spine on books to read,i will always do reading like small
JessyGirl88

Post by JessyGirl88 »

You guys are so nifty with your books. In my case almost all of my books are worn out. Because I love reading books at the comfort of any position causing it to get folded in different ways LOL!
Daily Alice

Post by Daily Alice »

My goodness, NO! I don't ever crack the spine of a book. :shock:

That would be blasphemous and the gods would punish me severely. :P
JoshBransonTeacher

Post by JoshBransonTeacher »

Daily Alice, I like your viewpoint on not cracking the spine!
jemado
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemado.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by jemado »

interesting question. I ALWAYS crack the spines of my books, and oddly enough I actually prefer my books that way. It reminds me that I've read and enjoyed that particular book on my bookshelf. If none of the spines were cracked I'd feel like the little library I've got going here would just feel too cold and unused. Hope I don't get things thrown at me for that :D
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
winterbaby

Post by winterbaby »

I agree, the library would look like a bookstore it the spines were all perfect! The books that have been read and reread on my shelf are cracked and that is fine - it means the book was truely enjoyed. But if I loan you a smooth spine...beware... :D
MuchoLoco

Post by MuchoLoco »

I often times try to keep my books in near perfect condition, so no I don't crack the spine. Not sure why I am super careful with my books, but I guess I am pretty careful with most all my possessions.
Eric McClean

Post by Eric McClean »

No! I never did that. In fact I hate people who even make a mark on my books.
JessyGirl88

Post by JessyGirl88 »

Eric McClean wrote:No! I never did that. In fact I hate people who even make a mark on my books.
Well in that case, if a different person was to crack my book's spine then I'd definitely crack his/her spine too! I'm the only one who has the right to wear out my old books!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”