Do you 'crack the spine'?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Re: Do you 'crack the spine'?

Post by rjhaug »

Breaking the spine of a book is mean and destructive. Books are our friends not kindling. It drives me crazy to see it done. My children figured out when they were little that it is a not acceptable. Plus I keep books, I have some that are very old and to have a spine broken would ruin the value.
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
midgetgem
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

Nooo! I can't crack the spine, I can't even crease it! I have OCD with my books, as they have to be in perfect condition but I know this will never happen because I love all my books! Especially when I get a new book, I open it only slightly so the spine doesn't get creased. I did break the spine in one of my books, and it was satisfying to be honest as it made me feel happy that it was well used, however I think that was enough and went back to my old self again!
mskris

Post by mskris »

I never crack the spine! I also hate it when people keep their place by placing the book open and face down. I'll pick it up every time. No dog ears in my books, either. IF I lend a book, I make sure that the person knows no dog ears, no writing in it, and try not to break the spine to much.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
fav_author_id: 4515

Post by LoremasterTappa »

I try not to crack the spine, but some books seem to have weaker glue and fall apart easily. Most of my books stay in great condition though.
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman
hannahoverstrom

Post by hannahoverstrom »

I try not to but in a crammed backpack, things get crumpled. Yes cracking the spine may lessen the beauty of the book but aren't used books more interesting to read???
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

All my books look "lived in".

So the answer to your question is yes.
cia1018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cia1018.html

Post by cia1018 »

I honestly try not to crack the spine. Glue dries out over time. How the book is stored also affects condition. I will only intentionally crack if it cracked already in a less desirable position so I can allow the pages to move easier.
kitten444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitten444.html

Post by kitten444 »

Oh that's so horrible!!! It makes me crazy when people dog ear the pages too! Use a bookmark! :P
Shinyfox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Post by Shinyfox »

RJohnReves wrote:All my books look "lived in".

So the answer to your question is yes.
I like your use of words "lived in" is a perfect statement. I agree! All of my books are lived in. I don't crease the pages and cover back on itself or anything, but I never pay attention to 'how open' the book is when I read.
kdjones2014

Post by kdjones2014 »

I can not help but crack the spine of the book. I always wish I hadn't afterwards.
Eltherina

Post by Eltherina »

I am SO OCD about NOT breaking the spines. I try my hardest!
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I never crack the spines. I like to keep my books in mint condition so I'm very careful not to affect the spine or anything else of the book. Like others have said before, I too am pretty OCD about this. :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

Yeah, but mostly by accident. Never thought much about it until you mentioned it.
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

Never ever!
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I try not to, but sometimes I just can't open a book without cracking it slightly. My parents always told me not to hurt a book, so that's what I've been brought up with.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”