Women's Book Club Book Ideas?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lainey1978
Bookshelf Size: 0

Women's Book Club Book Ideas?

Post by Lainey1978 »

I made a few new friends through Facebook, and one of the things we do is set up events. One of the girls recently set up a book club, and since we talked about it before she did it, I get to pick the next book. Help!

The book we're reading this month is Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris, but I need to think of something for April.

I was thinking that since we're reading a male author this month, it might be nice to read a female author next month, but that's not a definite requirement. It does need to appeal to a broad range of people, though.

I'd rather not read something I've recently read, such as The Time Traveler's Wife, or The Poisonwood Bible, although those were great reads.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

You might like to consider:

"The Wasted Vigil" by Nadeem Aslam
"Fire in the Blood" or "The Dogs & The Wolves" or indeed any of Irene Nemirovsky's books ... a truly beautiful writer in my opinion.

Hope these suggestions help & Happy Reading
victorian.noire

Post by victorian.noire »

How about White Oleander by janet fitch. i <3 that book! and there are some really amazing women in it
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

Yeah, I read that " White Oleander " and it was really nice. One of the best of Janet Fitch :)
victorian.noire

Post by victorian.noire »

I read one other book by her about an artist who's boyfriend died...she has a way of really capturing women in brutal situations.

another good women's book club type of book is 'she's come undone" or "i know this much is true" both by wally lamb. as a man he has an amazing talent to write women amazingly
sunnyyuan

Post by sunnyyuan »

I recommend you to read Feng Shui Love by Joni Davis & Lisa Hyatt, very interesting, any time you read will feel happy. And after reading, I really started to study Chinese Feng Shui, it's very mysterious.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

Try The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff, it was amazing!
Lainey1978

Post by Lainey1978 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I have decided to go with White Oleander, but perhaps I will use the other suggestions in the future. Thanks again!
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Is this club still active or perhaps someone is willing to update and reply to me if there's a relevant women's book club? In terms of book recommendations for today, you can read "Fix The System, Not The Woman." Additionally, there are plenty of relevant fiction works available nowadays. Maybe friends could update some reading lists here. Please contact me if you have references to books that focus on feminist readings. Thank you.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

I recommend you to read Feng Shui Love by Joni Davis & Lisa Hyatt, very interesting, any time you read will feel happy. And after reading, I really started to study Chinese Feng Shui, it's very mysterious.
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon, I think would be an amazing women’s book club book! It’s about a woman who’s falsely accused for a crime and her revenge against the people who put her there, and further, her story of becoming a con artist! It’s one of my favourite books ever! I read it at least once a year because I love it and the female power in it, is amazing!
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”