Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bluegirl123876
Bookshelf Size: 0

Why do you like reading?

Post by bluegirl123876 »

I myself like reading because it is like an adventure in your mind.

Why do you?
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

ummmmmmmm, its a hobby and it passes the time I guess. I dont really look at it any deeper than that :D
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

"Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman.
Believing what he read made him mad".
- George Bernard Shaw

I rest my case ... now I'm off for my next fix (Captain Corelli's Mandolin)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Its a very enjoyable hobby that relaxes me and also, i can learn a lot of information from various non fiction books, too. :D
IceM

Post by IceM »

Reading expands the horizons and augments the soul. Through the "Underground Notes" I'm exposed to a pessimistic view of society. Shakespeare's character Iago presents to me the nihilistic version of life as well as the harrowing depths of Man's soul. Through Moby Dick I'm exposed to human perseverance and through Dante's Inferno I see the everlasting potential for redemption in human life. Literature is used as a medium for entertainment. But the ability to augment's one mind, soul, and being while exploring the vast realms of knowledge throughout Man's history only solidifies literatures value.
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

Reading books is my hobby and I love reading love stories and mysterious novels.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I love the process when different pictures arouse in my head, and I love it when my imagination is involved
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

I like reading because unlike movies, you can create your own images. Your own actors, actresses...I could go on
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Reading isn't just an "escape" for me, it's excitement and joy. I look forward to indulging myself in the text, the world of other people and looking at thingts throught their eyes.

What I especially love about reading is finding a book that I connect with on a personal level (not fantasy such as elves, just the character style and personality) that allows me to have an insight on how other people might view my decisions and how i affect them. I sincerely enjoy the aspect of reactions, they're probably my favorite.

And i've found a decent amount of books that I can really relate to and see people I know in life that are similar to other characters in a book, it's a sort of simulation that's very fun.

You know everyone's got a book out there for them, even those who claim to hate books or never read them.
They've just been given the wrong ones for them.
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

I love books. Have all my life. I like holding them in my hand and looking at them as much sometimes as reading them. Many times I'll read a book just because it looks beautiful. Reading fiction is better than a movie and I love movies too. It's like a movie in my head. But better, richer, fuller. I read for pleasure, for information, for inspiration and to participate in the life I can't be a part of in reality.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I like reading for so many reasons. I get to learn new things especially words and boosts my creative thinking.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
brown katty
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by brown katty »

I love reading because it motivate me,as an artiste it gives me more inspiration,and I learn alot by reading
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

It makes me happy. It fills my heart with joy. To escape reality it's a best option for me.
Amna Khalid
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Basically I am a curious animal. Anything that offer a learning opportunity is always welcome. So I would say I read to learn.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

Reading exercises the brain and sharpens the mind. I like the way I feel after reading. That is why I read a book at least a week.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”