What kind of reader are you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Re: What kind of reader are you?

Post by moonshoes »

My reading pace kind of depends on the book. The only times I'll skim is when I hate the book I'm reading and I'm trying to find out if there's anything worth my while. I don't re-read paragraphs (I do re-read books, though) unless I'm having trouble concentrating, I'm usually pretty attentive while reading.

The one time I wrote in the margins of a book (that wasn't a textbook) was when I hated it so much I needed to rant.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I am a fast reader. I generally skip paragraph or line which i do not find interesting.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I read the word for word when reading books for pleasure. Magazines and websites and such I tend to skim through unless something I want to know more about catches my eye. Time available for reading vs. interest in the story usually determines the speed they are read.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
drcmarx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by drcmarx »

I am a person who reads each word and if I don't understand something I will try to get the contex or check the words I may misunderstand. I never skim read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I pretty much read every word, but I don't go back and re-read the paragraph. If the action gets too intense I might skim some.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

I usually don't skim unless it's one of those books where I'm just doing my best to get through it. I try not to give up on books (although I have given up on a few over the years), but if I'm finding a book really slow and/or boring, I will just zip through the pages to get to the finish.

I don't make notes. My mother drilled it into me in my impressionable younger years :lol: that you should never mark up books, and that has stuck through all these years.

I will definitely reread parts if I don't quite "get" them the first time, or if I find the writing particularly striking.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

I'm a slow reader...why the rush anyways? I don't want to miss any details at all and I also look up words that I don't know.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm a fast reader, but I don't skim through reading material. If I don't understand something, I do go back and reread it until it makes sense. As for writing in books, I tend to limit that to textbooks and workbooks.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I don't think I am any of the types mentioned above. I never skim, I rarely read back over a paragraph (I only do when I've been daydreaming or distracted and wasn't paying attention to myself read), and I don't write stuff in the margins. I would describe myself as a very careful and thorough reader who makes herself finish every book she starts even if she hates it.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I'm a little bit of everything reader. It depends on the book and words.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

When it comes to books written recently and that I'm interested in, I read quite fast. But I have a bit more trouble with books that are a bit more difficult to read, like classics.
Melina the reader
Currently Reading: A New Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Melina the reader »

I am a pretty slow reader because I read every line very attentively and when I notice that my attention drifted away and I didn't understand something then I read it again. I don't really see the point in reading a book but reading it half to be honest.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I don't skim, but I would probably be considered a fast reader. I only re-read a sentence or paragraph if I find it quite confusing or insightful. But it does also depend on what I'm reading. If it's a book preview or an academic article, I'll often skim or skip to the parts I need.
uaebasi
Favorite Book: Tales from the Aether
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uaebasi.html
Latest Review: Becoming Nobody by Rick Branch

Post by uaebasi »

JimRed wrote: 11 Mar 2010, 22:23 I was interested what kind of reader everyone is here.

Are you a skimmer?

Do you read a paragraph and then go back and read it over again to see if you can get more out of it?

Do you write in the margins what you read?

Are you a little bit of everything?

I'm the type of person who reads each word carefully and if I don't understand something, I go back and read it again. I skim very rarely, usually only during VERY slow parts in a book.
What kind of reader am I? I'm a slow reader. I like to understand the context and words. I do have to re-read paragraphs and pages even sometimes. I have to go back and re-read because I get too involved with the meaning of the words that my mind wanders and I have to redirect my attention again. For me I can't read fast and fully comprehend what I read after. I do skim read magazines or articles though, think I got into this habit because of waiting rooms honestly. I do not write in the margins! That is on the verge of blasphemy for me! Even in my college books I couldn't bring myself to write or highlight in the books. It is one of those things I just can't bring myself to do.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I am a slow reader, I am very detailed oriented and do not want to miss anything.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”