What kind of reader are you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JimRed
Bookshelf Size: 0

What kind of reader are you?

Post by JimRed »

I was interested what kind of reader everyone is here.

Are you a skimmer?

Do you read a paragraph and then go back and read it over again to see if you can get more out of it?

Do you write in the margins what you read?

Are you a little bit of everything?

I'm the type of person who reads each word carefully and if I don't understand something, I go back and read it again. I skim very rarely, usually only during VERY slow parts in a book.
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

Im a fast reader but I do re-read bits I dont understand or if theres a particuly beautiful piece of writing.
Moore

Post by Moore »

I think I am a moderate reader. I read, but not so attentively. It depends on the book. I sometimes write on the margins if I see that it's very catching.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I am a slow to moderate reader in that i take my time to enjoy every page, i could never speed read and i cant understand how some people can read a few hundreds of pages from a book a day without losing some of the subtle underlinings to a book. Its not a race for me.
MrWright

Post by MrWright »

I'm quite a slow reader really. I don't skim with any serious or literary novel as I feel it is unlikely that any of the text is actually redundant - although there are some exceptions to that. I just don't get the whole speed reading thing, those people that can read War and Peace in around two hours or something. I guess their brains are wired differently.
Morrosseth

Post by Morrosseth »

I'm a very fast reader. Sometimes I'll skip from one line of dialouge at the top to the reply on the bottom, skipping whole paragraphs. Then maybe I'll skim the paragraph I skipped. :lol:
I also tend to skip stuff that has no relevance or is just unessasary.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I just reading books in the park on a sunny day!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

No I don't skim .... either it's worth reading or it is'nt. I'm not a speed reader but I do read fairly quickly and attentively. If the book is good they could be blowing the last trumpet & I would not lift my head.
I sometimes reread if a particular passage grabs me as especially well written or if my mind is distracted and I did'nt get it first time.
I rarely write in the margins but I do sometimes make family trees if there are a lot of characters or complicated relationships but always on a postit or sheet of notepaper never on the book itself.
I have a notebook in which I keep quotes or references that grab me as profound, funny or especially apt ... been doing it for years & I love to leaf through them from time to time.
JimRed

Post by JimRed »

Fran wrote:No I don't skim .... either it's worth reading or it is'nt. I'm not a speed reader but I do read fairly quickly and attentively. If the book is good they could be blowing the last trumpet & I would not lift my head.
I sometimes reread if a particular passage grabs me as especially well written or if my mind is distracted and I did'nt get it first time.
I rarely write in the margins but I do sometimes make family trees if there are a lot of characters or complicated relationships but always on a postit or sheet of notepaper never on the book itself.
I have a notebook in which I keep quotes or references that grab me as profound, funny or especially apt ... been doing it for years & I love to leaf through them from time to time.
I know what you mean about the family tree. I had to do it while reading the Eragon books because Paolini brings so many different characters into the story and it is hard to keep up with sometimes.
DazzleKitty

Post by DazzleKitty »

I consider myself a fast reader. I can get through most books within two or three days, and this is during work. We are allowed to read when we are not busy so I have lot of reading time.

I only reread bits and pieces I didn't understand. I tend to plow through them pretty quickly, though.
Amelia

Post by Amelia »

Morrosseth wrote:I'm a very fast reader. Sometimes I'll skip from one line of dialouge at the top to the reply on the bottom, skipping whole paragraphs. Then maybe I'll skim the paragraph I skipped. :lol:
I also tend to skip stuff that has no relevance or is just unessasary.
I do exactly the same. Sometimes I'm a little over-zealous, and I miss important points, but its rare.
I need to know what happens ASAP :)
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

I'm a fairly fast reader but like others have said, if it is a particularly god piece of writing I will go back and read it again.
I don't write in the margins unless it's a textbook. Otherwise if like in the case of Anna Karenina I keep a notebook to remember names (especially when there are a billion characters all with 10 different names!)
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

Depends on the book. I can blast through a novel in no time.

Read the LOTR in one weekend when I was in high school.

A philosophy book I read 10 years ago took almost 4 weeks.

I rarely have to re-read a paragraph in a novel. And when I do it's because I let my mind wander. But if reading for information I may have to do so many times because I won't go to the next paragraph until I understand the one I'm on.

Skimming? Sometimes. Usually when reading novels that have long boring parts like sex scenes or gratuitous love scenes. Am reading The Count of Monte Cristo right now and have skimmed through a couple of parts.

Normally I like to read every word.
onceuponatime

Post by onceuponatime »

i love to read. I try to read every nite before bed. I alway stop at the end of a chapter. When I begin a new novel, I have to read the first chapter, or two, twice. I also try to have two books going at once. I don't know if this is good or not, but I remember a grade school teacher telling me to do this. Right now I am reading Hemingway's farewell to arms and a book about weight lifting..............oh, and I always have my dictionary at my fingertips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I consider myself a pretty fast reader, I have often finished books in one night if I am really enjoying the book. I try to have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go all the time. I also re-read books all the time. If I really love a book and especially the characters I will read it again. That is the beauty of books, you can read them again and find something new each time, or just admire a writers style. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”