What kind of reader are you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
callybee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by callybee »

Gannon wrote:I consider myself a pretty fast reader, I have often finished books in one night if I am really enjoying the book. I try to have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go all the time. I also re-read books all the time. If I really love a book and especially the characters I will read it again. That is the beauty of books, you can read them again and find something new each time, or just admire a writers style. :)
Yeah that's me in a nutshell.

When I read, I hear nothing, see nothing, nothing affects me... I could be in the middle of WWIII and I wouldn't have a clue. :roll:

I've reread some of my favourites uncountable times... I don't really 'leaf back', I'm a bit OCD start-to-finish kinda girl.

Recently reread Harry Potter 1-7, was very satisfying. :)
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Oh yeah.
I'm a very fast reader, i have to have multiple books on me in the event that i finish.

Sometimes it will be an action segment, or where the suspense finally hit climax and i'll get so excited and skip down the page. I just can't help it.
then I have to force myself to go back and read what I skipped.
I also have a habit of being very anxious and jumping down to the last line, especially on the last page of a chapter and it totally gives away what part i'm reading or what's going to happen, haha.
I hate that i do that, i don't like people spoiling things for me, but god, i just can't help myself!
Dolphin

Post by Dolphin »

I have two styles of reading that I alternate between according to need. The first is just typical reading. I lie down on my back with my head propped up and read away. If I come to something interesting I either just appreciate it that once or I try to store it in a mental cabinet (and promptly forget about it by the next day) - I don't bother with putting it into a notebook or anything. If it is absolutely incredibly interesting then I fold a corner of the page down so I can go back and copy it down (and then I never return to that page again, just out of sheer forgetfulness). The second way has been an evolution of this. I still just read lieing down, except when I come to a really good 'snapshot of life' passage I grab my laptop and write it out as a note on facebook. I then post the note so that all my facebook friends can appreciate the 'snapshot of life' passage with me. If it is something which doesn't work as a note by itself but I want to use it in a more complex one later on then I send it as a message to myself.
MichelleAntonia

Post by MichelleAntonia »

I'm a pretty fast reader, but I hardly ever skim. I make sure to get every word and make sure I get a clear idea or image in my mind. Unless the book is insufferably boring and I feel like I MUST get through it.. then I skim. I re-read only if I feel that I've missed something or it's a part that instantly stands out to me as special.
thelizardking

Post by thelizardking »

I've always been a slow reader. I tend to take my time and make sure I grasp every context from every page. Like I mentioned, I've always been like this.
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

I am comic book reader.......
brownnataly21

Post by brownnataly21 »

I am a very quick reader and I am not happy about, because I sometimes meiss some important things and I have to re-read some places.
ResearchScholar

Post by ResearchScholar »

JimRed wrote:I was interested what kind of reader everyone is here.

Are you a skimmer?

Do you read a paragraph and then go back and read it over again to see if you can get more out of it?

Do you write in the margins what you read?

Are you a little bit of everything?

I'm the type of person who reads each word carefully and if I don't understand something, I go back and read it again. I skim very rarely, usually only during VERY slow parts in a book.
As a reader and a writer, I do tend to write on the margins and make markings on the text if I come across something interesting or innovative. For me, reading is not intended just for entertainment or pleasure, but it has to test the intellect and to ensure that my body of knowledge is constantly enlarged.
elysiebean

Post by elysiebean »

I'm a speed reader myself. I read it all fast, but if something catches my eye, I will stop to enjoy it.

And.. if there is a horribly boring part of the book, i will skim that until it gets good. :o
miagallant
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miagallant.html

Post by miagallant »

I'm a fast reader but I do re-read bits I don't understand or if there's a particularly beautiful piece of writing.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I tend to read slowly and carefully. When I read I am never in a hurry as I do not set quantitative goals but rather qualitative ones. This, among other reasons, is why it takes me so long to finish a book.

I will sometimes make notes of things of particular interest but I never hi-lite, write in a book, or in any other manner deface it.

After I read a book, if it is a book of particular interest to me or a classic, I usually do some research on the book, the author, and if it is an older book on the history of the times in which it was written. This, of course, is very easy to do on the internet.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sherb21
Currently Reading: Owned By A Hitman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherb21.html

Post by Sherb21 »

My speed of reading really depends on the book I'm reading and how good it is to me. Also depends on what's going on with the kids. I often take my Kindle to basketball practice and read on my lunch breaks!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I read fairly quickly but completely. If I feel like I've missed something I will reread the paragraph again.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

I am a voracious reader and wanna finish my reading assignment as fast as I can.For novel I feel its the best way to comprehend it properly.
CrystalSnow
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalsnow.html

Post by CrystalSnow »

I'm a slower reader, I like to read and then let what happened Sommer for S bit. I also have taken to using an index card as a bookmark to write down any quite that has really stuck a chord with me along with the page number. Kind of like a highlight reel when I want to go back and look at the book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”