Ever get bored of reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Re: Ever get bored of reading?

Post by milliethom »

I've never yet got bored with reading, although there have been periods when the length of time I've been able to spend on reading has been very limited. At those times, reading has become only a last-thing-at-night event, before I nod off.
j reads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by j reads »

Yes!! It has been a couple of years since I read book six of Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. I started book seven, but I don't know if I haven't finished because I don't want the story to end or because I have to still read the remaining 800+ pages. Anyway, whenever I do decide to finish, I probably have to skim through the other books first. :cry:
InkyReader
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkyreader.html

Post by InkyReader »

I only get sick of reading when I'm depressed. I fill weird and I can't settle to any one thing. I have to bounce around between different things and only read once I've pulled myself out of it.
Any other time I read almost constantly. In fact, in HS I was picked on for reading so much.
Livi-C
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livi-c.html

Post by Livi-C »

i don't get bored,but i do go though phases of reading
LJacobs626

Post by LJacobs626 »

Never, just sometimes need to switch to different genres of books depending on my mood.
Ravenmount
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 16854">The Glass Bead Game</a>
Currently Reading: Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenmount.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by Ravenmount »

I always have at least one book I am reading, but I hate starting too many books without finishing them, so once I get a few started, I can get mired in them, if none of the ones I am currently reading are inspiring much interest. At those times reading feels more like work than pleasure, and I might only read 5-10pgs in a day. But, when I am reading a book I am really into, I can read 500-1000 pages in a single day and read for hours at a time. Reading books with the intention of reviewing them often leads to more of the mired-in-dull-books days, but with some nice exceptions.
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I wouldn't call it getting bored, but there are times when I just don't feel like reading. Sometimes it's because I have other priorities going on in my life, and sometimes it's because I just need a break from reading. Avoiding and ignoring people and things like bill payments for weeks on end isn't all that healthy or smart, you know?
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
CvetichJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetichj.html

Post by CvetichJ »

I went through a very long stretch where I didn't read anything. I'd start, and get bored before I finished half of a book. This was also the period of my life where I was very interested in video games. Now, it's reversed. I get bored extremely quickly whenever I try and play a game. I have read sixty-five books this year so far, however.
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

I read email all day at work, so when I get home, I often don't want to even look at my computer or a book. That said, I still enjoy a great mystery or human interest story once my eyes have rested. Reading is the very best way to get into other people's heads and see the world with their eyes. Why would anyone want to miss that?
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I never get bored of reading, but sometimes I find more important things to do so I don't read for a few days. The longest I've gone without reading is a week though. I can get bored of a book, but not reading.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Sometimes I just need a break from books, either because I just finished a book or because I didn't like the current one. So I switch to either a TV show or gaming for a few days before picking up another book.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

I seldom gets bored of reading.
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

If I get bored, it is either not the book for me, or I am too tired to read. So, I either find a different book or go to bed. LOL.
ashleyalanarx90
Favorite Author: H.G. Wells
Favorite Book: Alice.s Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: March
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyalanarx90.html

Post by ashleyalanarx90 »

After I finish an enchanting book, I may take time off and watch some junkie TV for a day or two. However, when I finish a series I'm thrilled at how wonderful it is, but saddened because I was so attached and felt like I was there with the characters, saying goodbye is hard. So I'll take some time off. Usually I'll spend 4-7 days watching Harry Potter before I start up again. I would be lying if I said I constantly had a book in my hand. Reading is one of my greatest passions, but just like my mom when it came to our family, she loved us very much and lived for me and my dad but every once in a while she wanted a break. That's how I am. I don't want to get burnt out, so I'll take a few days off. I'm ashamed to admit that my last break I spent having a The Fast and The Furious marathon. Every once in a while I like to change it up. It's usually after I've finished an awesome series because I've invested so much emotion and am extremely attached to the story and characters and places that I have to step back to get my mind cleared to get ready to let the next story in. I usually don't need it after a single book. Just series. It's never more than a week and rarely more than 2-3 days, but every once in a while I just step back for a little bit.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I do t get bored of reading, but sometimes things come up that don't give you the time to read.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”