Ever get bored of reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Ever get bored of reading?

Post by bookowlie »

I don't get bored. However, if I have just finished an extremely long book (e.g. - The Goldfinch), I need some downtime before starting another book. I need to get the long book out of my system first :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote:I don't get bored. However, if I have just finished an extremely long book (e.g. - The Goldfinch), I need some downtime before starting another book. I need to get the long book out of my system first :)
I think I am the same way! I think maybe this is why I prefer shorter books. So I can read it and then move on immediately. If I have downtime between books, I tend to feel lazy. And that will lead to boredom. But I also feel like I need to get the long book out of my system. Like, the longer it took to get in there, the longer it takes to digest. ;)
hnm216
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by hnm216 »

I don't get bored with it, I may get bored with a particular book. Sometimes life just gets in the way and I don't get the time to read. Summer time I don't read very often, fall and winter I read quite. My favorite thing is sitting outside on the porch on a nice autumn day sipping some cocoa and reading a good book.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

I find myself getting bored with some trilogies and series. It never fails. I lose interest before I get through the final book. Then I can't help but skip to the end just to see how it ends. I don't think I have a short attention span. It just seems like in some cases the author starts recycling ideas, repeating something from a previous book, or just trying to stretch out a great story. I guess some authors go for quantity instead of quality.
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

I don't really get bored, I just burn myself out at times from how much I read. So I tend to get into a reading funk, and take a break from reading until I get my groove back. I read less during the Fall and Spring months because I'm in college full time during those seasons and stuck reading textbooks which aren't all that interesting.
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I wouldn't say I get bored of reading but sometimes life gets so hectic that I go weeks without reading. Responsibilities such as jobs, family, and pets can really cut back on reading time. There are times though I will sit and read for hours.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Pinkpaper wrote:When I got pregnant and then had my baby I went off reading completely (unless it was a baby related book) I just wasnt interested for a period of about a year. Now I read far more than I ever did before, it really allows me to switch off even if only for a few minutes.
I went through the same thing. Just now starting to get back into reading.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

Yes. But for me its not about work or family or stress. I just get this feeling that my head is very crowded with too many words, characters and stories that I just lose the appetite to read anything. I call it a Block Period;) just like writer's block but this one is reader's block:).
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

bookowlie wrote:I don't get bored. However, if I have just finished an extremely long book (e.g. - The Goldfinch), I need some downtime before starting another book. I need to get the long book out of my system first :)
Exactly. I am this way as well. Sometimes one just needs to "decompress" after reading a certain book.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
ariariari
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariariari.html

Post by ariariari »

A little, sometimes I don't have enough time due to exams. Before I would read before sleeping but now I'm too tired to do that.
cathie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathie.html

Post by cathie »

I could never get bored of reading! I'm keenly aware that I may not finish reading all the books I want to before I die... :P
Shelbilyn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbilyn09.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shelbilyn09 »

I never get bored of READING, although I do get bored with the types of books I read. Sometimes I read too many of the same types of books back to back, got to switch it up to keep it interesting!
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

Yes. All the time. I have a short attention span. Oh, look, a banana!
BlaqkViolette
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Glass Wall
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blaqkviolette.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by BlaqkViolette »

I never get bored of reading! This is what I tend to do when I am bored! However, I can get bored of a particular book I'm reading... and then reading it seems like a bit of a task...
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Not really no

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”