Ever get bored of reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Ever get bored of reading?

Post by StephenKingman »

Have you ever gone through phases where, for whatever reason be it work or stress or just outgrowing your habits, you dont read? I tend to be always reading at least one book but the pace at which i read can vary greatly from about 200 pages a day to just a chapter or two. At the moment im going through a quieter period of reading and i am slower than usual because of work commitments and my other hobbies.

What about other members of this forum, what are your low and high points of reading? :)
MuchoLoco

Post by MuchoLoco »

For me it is often a matter of how busy I am. If I was retired with not much to do I think I could read all the time, but with a busy life I find that I go in spurts like you. Some times it will take me a month to finish a book, because I just can't get the time, but other times I will read through a book in 2 or 3 days. So I guess I don't get bored of reading, just consumed with everything.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

MuchoLoco wrote:For me it is often a matter of how busy I am. If I was retired with not much to do I think I could read all the time, but with a busy life I find that I go in spurts like you. Some times it will take me a month to finish a book, because I just can't get the time, but other times I will read through a book in 2 or 3 days. So I guess I don't get bored of reading, just consumed with everything.
Yes, im similar in that my work and my hobbies can sometimes overtake my ability to read. I always like to be reading something but it took me 2 months to read my last book, all 500 pages of it.... :oops:
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

There have been periods in my life when reading had to take a back seat to family & work commitments. I find that at times of major change like taking on a new job or when I moved house my life rhythm (for want of a better description) got disrupted & it can take a while for a new routine to become established & reading time to find its place again in that routine.
But once reading fits itself into a new routine it very quickly expands to fill any available time slots and I'm back to my "normal" self again.
:D
Fee Verte

Post by Fee Verte »

I read more when I am seriously stressed out, I find it more relaxing than anything I know. Also, if I find a really good read I try to spread the pleasure over a longer period; although sometimes good intentions go out of the window and I devour a book in a few sittings :) The latter is particularly true of historical biographies.
coolgeek93

Post by coolgeek93 »

I can only read for maybe a month or so before I get tired of reading. Then I get into something else for a month or so, then get tired of that, etc. A few months later I get back into reading. Its a cycle. Same with video games, tv, and writing.
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

When I got pregnant and then had my baby I went off reading completely (unless it was a baby related book) I just wasnt interested for a period of about a year. Now I read far more than I ever did before, it really allows me to switch off even if only for a few minutes.
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

yes I have gone on such places,......
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I tend to alternate between reading and gaming, I'm a pretty big gamer but my bookshelves are far more voluminous than the game racks, so I feel it's justifiable, haha.

During the college semesters though, I tend not to read as much simply because my mind is already being strained and it's a relief to do something mindless... which Atlas Shrugged most certainly is not, don't know what I was thinking to start that a few weeks ago, and obviously I haven't gotten too far yet. Once summer starts, though, I'll probably get through it in no time.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

The Mythwriter wrote:I tend to alternate between reading and gaming, I'm a pretty big gamer
Really? What systems do you have? Im a pretty big fan of games myself, mostly racing, horror and puzzle games and whenever i get the time i like to play some games on the PS3, Nintendo DS and PSP.
The Mythwriter wrote: During the college semesters though, I tend not to read as much simply because my mind is already being strained and it's a relief to do something mindless..
I hear you! When i was in college and cramming for an important exam, i didnt even want to read a magazine after if, never mind a book!
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

The Mythwriter wrote:
I tend to alternate between reading and gaming, I'm a pretty big gamer

Really? What systems do you have? Im a pretty big fan of games myself, mostly racing, horror and puzzle games and whenever i get the time i like to play some games on the PS3, Nintendo DS and PSP.
Haha, we should all get online together and play COD or something, Project Gotham.

As far as reading goes, I hardly get bored of it, but I can't focus on it sometimes and I get angry at myself for not concentrating it.
Then I'll pick up a book that I can't stand and there that goes...
Dude, I only read like military, tech, game, sport, photo, animal, and mechanic magazines; haha.
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

I only really read game or movie magazines and yes, if anyone is up for online gaming just PM me and we sort something out with regard to a few sessions.
Stinkin' Fascist

Haha, that would probably work if I had a functioning PS3...
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Stinkin' Fascist wrote:Haha, that would probably work if I had a functioning PS3...
Why what happened to it? The PS3 is the only big system i own and the DS and PSP are my portable systems.
Stinkin' Fascist

Let's just say I basically have a shell now...
Well, I suppose it functions in excellent condition for ripping people off, knocking them out, or breaking into a car, haha.

There was construction at my house and it died from dust inhalation and kiddies...

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the DS, but I own a Darth Vader edition PSP that my nephew chucked at a wall and screwed up.
So after replacing the thumbstick sensor and having it go back to running my character into the wall in front of it, i've decided to sell it.
Haha, what luck...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”