Do you like happy end books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alexa12345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you like happy end books?

Post by Alexa12345 »

I think this kind of books give us faith and hope, even if mostly is too idealistic.
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

In short, yes, I do like books with happy endings. They give you a sense of satisfaction, don't they? :) But I also like sad endings, as long as they fit to the story and doesn't seem forced. What I don't like is a bad ending, one that leaves you feeling frustrated or cheated. Once I read a book where the author does not bother resolving the central mystery of the novel. There was even a question at the end asking you to discuss the 'literary significance' of the inconclusive ending. ummm...she took the easy way out!!!! :evil:

So, for me, good endings or sad endings are okay, as long as they're not...bad endings.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

~Elle~ wrote:So, for me, good endings or sad endings are okay, as long as they're not...bad endings.
Agreed! I hate bad endings......
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Yes and no. It depends on the subject of the books, their style, their mystery. I agree with Elle, and I like the bad endings only if they don't seem forced. It’s true that the happy endings can give you some hope, but if you read a book which has a dramatically topic, then they just don’t fit here.
smellymonkey

Post by smellymonkey »

I do enjoy happy ending but also sad ones i think it completely depends on the book, however i feel that sad endings should have some level of hope or enlightenment within in it, i don't really want to finish a book and feel like slitting my writs. My Sisters Keeper, The Time Travellers Wife and The Kite Runner are examples i believe are endings which do this well.
Certain books however should have a happy ending i did not like the ending of Dear John which i read recently (when a fancied a bit of an easy reading romance novel) and felt that the whole book and the characters relationships was a bit pointless but im sure there are many who would disagree.
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

smellymonkey wrote:Certain books however should have a happy ending i did not like the ending of Dear John which i read recently (when a fancied a bit of an easy reading romance novel) and felt that the whole book and the characters relationships was a bit pointless but im sure there are many who would disagree.
I watched Dear John in the theatres and if it was anything like the book, I agree with the one word you used to describe it: pointless. Once it was over, you left, thinking..."was there a point to what I just watched?!??" It was disappointing to say the least.
theonlinetrainers

Post by theonlinetrainers »

Sure I love Happy Ending Books...Cause it motivates us a look and give us the power to move forward, it let us smile and most of all it gives us the power to read more and more!
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Im in two mindsets with regard to happy endings; one one hand i like the warm feelgood nature of this ending, particularly if the main characters has had to battle a number of milestones and has had very tough things happen to them up to the end point. Then i also like a book to be as real to life as possible- i.e life is unfair, cruel, unjust and plain warped e.g The Road had both a sad and a happy ending but was very satisfying.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

As long as the ending is plausible and reasonable in the context I've no problem with it being happy or unhappy but I just hate when it's obvious the author has contrived events to force a happy ending. That would result in me dispatching the book with force to the other side of the room & to the recycling bin in my local charity shop!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I like happy endings because it gives me a sense of satisfaction.. But, at the same time, happy endings make me feel that there was no point of all the plot if everything was to end up happily.. I know, its weird.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

If it's a well written bad ending, I can deal with it. If it's a poorly written good ending, (a-la Harry Potter) I have a hard time with it.

What I look for in an ending is something that wraps up the story. Whether its a good ending or a sad one, I can close the book with satisfaction so long is it wraps things up well, and gives a sense of completion.
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

Ducky wrote:If it's a well written bad ending, I can deal with it. If it's a poorly written good ending, (a-la Harry Potter) I have a hard time with it.

What I look for in an ending is something that wraps up the story. Whether its a good ending or a sad one, I can close the book with satisfaction so long is it wraps things up well, and gives a sense of completion.
I can't express my opinion better than you. I agree with you completely :wink:
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Ducky wrote:If it's a well written bad ending, I can deal with it. If it's a poorly written good ending, (a-la Harry Potter) I have a hard time with it.

Awesome, you put it perfectly. That is what I was trying to put all along. lol.
StonesQuest

Post by StonesQuest »

I agree with everyone's comments. What I really dislike is when an author doesn't finish the ending. They leave it up to the reader to finish. I remember in high school, when a teacher had a read a short story with no ending. She said that was acceptable. It angered me. I want to know what the author had in mind. I do not see it a lot except in movies. It really angers me to not have an author finish his opinion on how it should end. I would rather read a bad ending to no ending.
Genevieve_ann

Post by Genevieve_ann »

I love sad endings. If an author can create characters with enough depth that I've fallen in love with them and cry when they end unhappily, that's a great thing. Gone with the Wind was a great example. Somehow I didn't know how that ended so when I got there and Rhett says his famous line I was floored. I couldn't stop thinking about the ending for weeks.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”