do you still go to library for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Readingblondes
Currently Reading: A court of throne and roses
Bookshelf Size: 156

Re: do you still go to library for a book

Post by Readingblondes »

For me even if I go to the library I don't find what I'm looking for,not even a title that hooks me, so instead of going to my local library,i look for books online, or post on my social media what book I'm looking for, and I get replies from people who are selling it.
casdill
Currently Reading: Thank and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by casdill »

I used to, when I worked in a couple of different libraries. From that I went to working at a used book store and got used to buying whatever came in for basically pennies that I hoarded tons of books for a rainy day. I read so slowly nowadays though that I can't loan from a library, I'd never get it read in time to turn it back in haha. It's close to a year now since I've worked at the book store and I miss having that opportunity sooo much, but there's still Amazon. Before libraries and before bookstores, back when Amazon was solely a bookstore, I would buy the penny books and pay $3.99 shipping to stock up on those mass market paperbacks of 80s fantasy novels.
pengy86
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pengy86.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by pengy86 »

Yes, I still get books from the library. My kid is still young enough that books typically come in hardback form so we go regularly to get him new books to read. I have started the love of reading early! I also get either physical books from the library when there is a specific author that only sells books in print form or I will get the eBooks through the library (lets me borrow for a couple of weeks) as it saves me tons of money since I read all the time.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Of course! I go to the library all the time. If I can't find the book I want in the public library, I go search in my university's library. I went back and forth many times and still do. I like the studious atmosphere there.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I still go with my children to the library. They do story times and activities for the kids. I also love getting to look through the books and wandering into sections I generally wouldn't. It's different because I can browse books but generally stay in my preferred genre. Wandering the library the other day, I found a fun Halloween craft book, parenting books, and some True Crime books I had never heard of as well.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I used to go to the library when I didn't have much money. Now that I can afford books, I prefer to buy them!
AHand1986
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahand1986.html
Latest Review: Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by AHand1986 »

Totally!
my son is 2 and we go multiple times a week, whether for library activities or to roam. He loves to explore and walk the isles feeling the books and long at all the covers in the adult sections.

I get a book here and there. Sometimes, I'll pick a book just by cover alone. For my son we take about 10 books at a time. Gets us out.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

I think that libraries are an amazing place to get reading materials from. I personally go to the library during the summer because I have much more free time to read and browse through all the books on the shelves. The library also saves me money because I don't have to go out and buy every book that I want to read.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

I love the physical experience of visiting a library - the smell of the books, lol. But I haven't been to one in about a year now. Partly because of mobility issues, but also I very rarely find books that I want to read there. Amazon is my go-to book supplier nowadays, or occasionally books-a-million.

I'm pretty picky with choosing the right books for me. I love their used-book sales, however. They are so fun and interesting to browse. 8)
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I kind of do. I use my library card to check out ebooks online. Its so convenient, but it does lack the library smell I love so much.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Constantly, I have been living in different countries for a while and I can not afford the suitcase space for books...or that is what I tell myself and somehow I still end up dragging around 5-10 books every time
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

I do not get a chance to library nowadays but it is one of the most sweet memories of student life. Finding an interesting book from shelves and finding a corner to sneak in and forget about everything else or getting many more books issued than I could read in the allowed time, it used to be such a regret. Just the feel of library and over whelming availability of variety of books, it was such a soothing and at the same time anxious feeling, anxious because of its size;so much to read and so little time.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

Yes I still go to the library. Sometime I check out ebooks from them as well.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Absolutely! I love the atmosphere of a library, and I also generally like to explore and "test-drive" the books I read before I decide that I'd want my own copy.
Chapakazi

Post by Chapakazi »

Yes sure it my favourite place to read books because it's just very silent and the atmosphere..wow

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”