do you still go to library for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: do you still go to library for a book

Post by Maralynx »

I haven't gone to the library of my own volition in the last three years. Part of it is because I started going to university, and all the required literature was already provided. The other was the monthly membership of the city library was outrageous. But it seems that they realized that, as they started making coupons, lowering the prices, and making special offers, one of which I accepted. I've gone to my hometown's library last summer just to return loaned books and pick some out for my mother. Now, when I want to read a book, I go directly to the bookstore and buy it, or get from a friend/colleague/professor.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I get all my books from the library! Once I've found a book that I really love there, and I feel like I would read it again, then I go out and buy it thereafter! The Library stage is like an audition stage for books with me!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Not really, but that's more because of circumstance than anything else. I'm hoping to change that soon.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

I make a practice of visiting my local library at least once a month. While I love my Kindle and reading ebooks in general. I still love the tangible experience of hefting a hardcover book or selecting a worn paperback from the shelves. My overstocked bookshelves can attest to this as well. I also find browsing the library lends itself to a more varied reading experience for me. With Kindle it's easy to stick to my preferred genres instead of exploring new genres. Occasionally I will place a title on hold, but more often I just wander happily through the aisles and select a few intriguing books.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I can't lie that I do. I actually don't because these days we have online libraries where one can search and download books from them with ease.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

I adore checking books out of the library. It's so nice because I don't have to worry about having spent money on a book that I might end up disliking, it gives me access to books that I can't find in print anymore, and I also like that it's not taking up my own personal space! Of course, I do buy copies of my favorite books, and I don't think I would ever give up all of my books in preference for the library.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

ALL THE TIME. My home-away-from-home is the library. There's just so many possibilities in the library, whether it be books to read or ideas for me to get. I go at least once a month and I have a library app that lets me use my public library's ebook library. (It's called Overdrive.) I love the library, and the idea of libraries closing makes me sad for future generations. They won't get to experience the peace a library can bring.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Not really, I get my content online most of the time.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoy borrowing cookbooks and fitness books from the library to find fun new recipes. I also like to look for new releases or books that they have displayed for different reader highlights. I have tons of books at home that I have yet to read, but I still enjoy the feeling of taking home a stack of borrowed books even if I don't end up reading them all. I think I just like the experience of having access to an unlimited selection of books, whether its a stack of library books or a stack of my own books.
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

Yes! I love going to the library. Love the whole process of searching for a book, putting it on hold maybe for an easy pick-up. Sometimes you want to save that money, so borrowing from a library is the way to go. Reading stuff online or via electronic device is easier, don't get me wrong. But I prefer to have a physical copy in my hand.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I don't go to the library a lot and it's something I'd like to change. The atmosphere of a library is just so relaxing and nice. However, a trip to my local library is not as easy as just walking down the road. It's mostly for that reason that I prefer using an online device to get my books. I don't mind not having a physical copy, and it's more convenient for me while still allowing me to read what I like.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I get my books through a number of ways. Some of the books I read, I buy. A larger portion of books I borrow from my online library and read as e-books or audiobooks. A small amount goes to physical books from the library.
~Roxie~
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I most definitely do! I know books have become more accessible now, but there is a certain charm in a library. The feeling of browsing through books and selecting one to issue is sure something else.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Snowhite189 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 06:21 Nowadays when you wanted a particular book, you visit online store to order and it will come right at your doorstep in an instant or if you have time you just go to bookstore to buy i wanna know does anyone of you still doing the old ways of going to the library to borrow books?
That was long ago but with my kindle ,am at piece for sure.
Nalence
Currently Reading: My Lady of Cleves
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Nalence »

Yes, I absolutely adore my local library, and go there very often. I can't really afford to buy many books, so the library is my primary source of reading material. Plus, it is my dream job to work as librarian.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”