Books You Plan On Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Woodland Nymph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Woodland Nymph »

- Les Misérables
- The Sylph
- Lorna Doone
- The White Cat
- Privilege and Scandal: The Remarkable Life of Harriet Spencer, Sister of Georgiana (whew!)
- Cybele's Secret
- The Bell Jar
- The Three Musketeers
- The History of Tom Jones
- Inkdeath
- Clarrisa
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
War and Peace
Crime and Punishment
..... the list goes on.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Spent 2 hours in Waterstones, Trafford Center today and even when i tried to restrain myself i added the following books to my TBR list:

Black House (King)
10 Secrets of Success at Work
Sister
Mammoth Book of Hauntings
You only live once.....so live!
ParanoidIdealDodo

Post by ParanoidIdealDodo »

I guess I'm just one of the few who hasn't read popular series like The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Would go for The Chronicles of Narnia first. :)

I'd also read On Writing and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as soon as I find a copy of them... :wink:
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

Every single Newbery Award winner.
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

Borges - Aleph & Ficciones
Cartarescu
Eliade
Dostoevsky
Shaysmommy5810

Post by Shaysmommy5810 »

ParanoidIdealDodo wrote:I guess I'm just one of the few who hasn't read popular series like The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Would go for The Chronicles of Narnia first. :)

I'd also read On Writing and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as soon as I find a copy of them... :wink:

I got my copy as a gift, but I'd suggest searching your local flea markets, yard sales, and any used book store in the area. If that doesn't pan out, try ebay, found one for only $8.00!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

El_greco wrote:Borges - Aleph & Ficciones
Cartarescu
Eliade
Dostoevsky
If you are going to read Dostoevsky, may I suggest the Brothers Karamazov first. I just loved it!
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

Mairin wrote:
Cartarescu
Eliade
Dostoevsky
If you are going to read Dostoevsky, may I suggest the Brothers Karamazov first. I just loved it!
I'd rather recommend Crime and Punishment for the first book of his. Brothers Karamazov are great but it's a bit hard in the first half of the book.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Possessed of Dostoyevski in the next year. I know I will get it for Christmas.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

GotThatSwing wrote:
Mairin wrote:
Cartarescu
Eliade
Dostoevsky
I'd rather recommend Crime and Punishment for the first book of his. Brothers Karamazov are great but it's a bit hard in the first half of the book.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Possessed of Dostoyevski in the next year. I know I will get it for Christmas.
I have not read Crime and Punishment yet, but it is on my TBR list. The first of Dostoevsky that I read was The Devils, but I found it hard to follow. My husband says that Crime and Punishment is also a good starter for Dostoevsky. I'll just have to bump it up on my list.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Bought a load of books today in The Book Centre using my vouchers, spent over 90euro! Some of the books include:

Relentless by Dean Koontz
The Complete Collection of Edgar Allen Poe
USA Travel Guide by Eye Witness
Terror at 20000 feet by Various

A mixed bag of books to keep me reading well into 2011 :D
Lapssone

Post by Lapssone »

Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
War and Peace
Crime and Punishment
..... the list goes on.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Got 2 books from a voucher today- The Town by Chuck Hogan and Soundings, a republished book of poems. Wanted to get Skippy Dies but its out of stick for at least a week. :D
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

'Fall of Giants' .... just as soon as I can get a big strong man to take it off the shelf for me. It's some tome for a wee lassie.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Next on my TBR list is Life of Pi by Yann Martel, sounds like a very intriguing concept and i look forward to getting stuck into it. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”