what did you read as a child

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Clintisha15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: what did you read as a child

Post by Clintisha15 »

As a child I loved to read the Charlie Bone series
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

My favorites were the Pony Pal series because I love horses. I read them and also Judy Blume's books.
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." -Lemony Snicket
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
BryceLucas
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Seven Killings
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brycelucas.html

Post by BryceLucas »

I actually very rarely read as a child. The first thing I remember actively enjoying was the Harry Potter series, but it wasn't until my junior year of high school that I really began to love reading. I suppose that makes me a bit more green than a lot of readers, and probably not as practiced, but it took me that long to realize that the stories and complexity I loved in movies and television was even more sophisticated in literature. Now reading is my favorite thing in the world.
kronning20
Bookshelf Size: 93

Post by kronning20 »

I absolutely loved Nancy Drew, The Babysitters Club, and the Xanthe series as a kid. I was behind everyone else on reading Harry Potter, but once I got my hands on them I couldn't put them down. I also eventually fell in love with the Redwall Series. My dad used to hide new books from me because I would go through them so fast, and he couldn't keep up with me. Eventually he finally just got me a library card and I was all set.
TJayne89
Currently Reading: The Daylight War
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjayne89.html
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik

Post by TJayne89 »

I have to admit that even to this day I am an avid Roald Dahl fan. His adult fiction is just as incredible as his children's works.

He is the reason that I decided that I wanted to become a writer. :D
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik
Nomex78
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Nomex78 »

As a young child, I enjoyed reading everything from the Nancy Drew series to Sweet Valley Twins...as I got older, I began reading Stephen King. Now I enjoy King just as much as I ever have, but also love Frank Peretti and James Patterson. I have also enjoyed books by Anne Rice, Laurell Hamilton, Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts. I also love re-reading Poe's works.
rappleye-8
Currently Reading: The China Study
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rappleye-8.html

Post by rappleye-8 »

My favorite book as a child was "James and the giant peach". I found it fascinating the jump between reality and fiction. I also remember a teacher reading "number the stars" during class time which sparked my hunger for all things history. Historical fiction remains my favorite genre.
Ladybug23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug23.html

Post by Ladybug23 »

I have loved getting lost in a book since I was very young. My favorite authors were LM Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Janette Oak, and Francis Hodgeson Burnett. Actually, I still love these authors today!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I read the magic tree house series, little house on the prairie, a series of unfortunate events, and pretty much everything else I could get my hands on!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
iluvmusicmana
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iluvmusicmana.html

Post by iluvmusicmana »

I remember reading Charlotte's Web, The Secret Garden, The Chronicles of Narnia series, and A Wrinkle in Time. Those were only a few of many, but personal favorites for life.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Kia wrote:I read the magic tree house series, little house on the prairie, a series of unfortunate events, and pretty much everything else I could get my hands on!
Ditto on the Magic Tree House Series! The Bailey School Kids was also a fun series.
SoaringKitten
Currently Reading: Firefight
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SoaringKitten »

Personally, I loved The Magic Tree House, The Bailey School Kids, Junie B. Jones, and Geronimo Stilton series when I was little. After I was about 10, I got into things like A Series of Unfortunate Events, Percy Jackson, and Harry Potter.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I only read Enid Blyton's books for quite a long time. I re-read the same books, but I never got bored of them.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Daphni
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=15864">A Game of Thrones</a>
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphni.html

Post by Daphni »

When I was very young about 7 to 9, I read Geronimo Stilton, Judy Moody, C.S Lewis. Around 10-14 I read Roald Dahl (BFG is my favorite), Cornelia Funke, Rick Riordan, and Judy Blume.

I still read children books, books for kids aged 7-12, because it's nice to have a break from plot heavy stories and to read something light and fun.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I've always been a big fan of mystery books. I remember as a kid I would always rent out "The Bailey School Kids" books from the library. Those were very popular.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”