Do you collect books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
x1f4j8k9
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Re: Do you collect books?

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

Of my digital ones, yes. Physical, not really.
jaguilar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

I love collections that run in the same print style, like all the Caldecott winners from the 1980s but all uniform cover style and size. I also love books like Ann Bar and Tony Hillerman that let the characters develop and stick to the characters I have gotten attached to
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I collect Harry Potter books. I have a few completed sets and a few British editions. I have been a huge fan of the books since they came out and my mother game me a leather bound collectors edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and that's what started it. I have quite a few completed sets now and I am eyeing a few that I just found on the Bloomsbury website. My Potters are in a glass enclosed bookshelf. I would love to collect some of the Stephen King first editions but the older ones are extremely expensive.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

I love collecting books
Bella_0772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Post by Bella_0772 »

Yes, especially children's books for when I begin teaching.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by HateToWin »

One copy is enough for me, but I keep all of the books I buy, and I also buy some books that I will probably never get around to reading just because they complete a series or have nice covers :lol:
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
Amsha
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsha.html
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Post by Amsha »

I keep all the books I've read and bought, and I read a lot. When anyone saw my bookshelf, they'd probably say that I collect books. They just keep adding up so maybe in a way I'm also collecting them.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

-George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum
KatsReviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsreviews.html

Post by KatsReviews »

Yes in a sense. I collect books I can buy for cheap, mostly I only have one copy of each book but some of the classics I have multiple, I can't help it so many of them have beautiful covers. I am a definite sucker for pride and prejudice since I think I have 4 copies of. I also buy books that I really old, I just think it is so cool to old in my hands such an old book. However none of them are worth anything since I am still in high school and have no money. My oldest book was printed in 1907 and I bought it for a dollar so no complaining there.
Ella

Post by Ella »

I will try to collect different titles of a certain title/author, but that's about it
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

As someone noted above collecting and hoarding are two different things. Simply keeping any book you bought is not collecting books. As to e-books, I'm not sure that not deleting data is collecting either.

"I also buy some books that I will probably never get around to reading just because they complete a series or have nice covers "

Shame on you for not reading them! Then again, this indeed is what "collectors" do -0 they acquire things specifically for their collection.
EmilySian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilysian.html

Post by EmilySian »

I just have a LOT of books. Hundreds and hundreds. I can't get rid of book so they have just accumulated over time. Plus I love displaying them.

I remember going back to university one year and my little pink suitcase was full of books, so I could display them on my bookcase in my uni room. It was really heavy and this nice man offered to help carry it up some stairs and he commented on how heavy it was. Made me chuckle thinking I bet he would never guess its full of books.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"Made me chuckle thinking I bet he would never guess its full of books.

Right, because who would expect a student returning to university to have books?
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

As a kid I used to collect books. But as I grew up, changes homes, re-located, I realized books are the heaviest and most difficult things to carry when one moves. So I have finally decided that it is always more prudent to borrow books and return them to the library.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

, "I realized books are the heaviest and most difficult things to carry when one moves"

Spoken like someone who never had a dozen liquor boxes of LP records.
Sleepingkitty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sleepingkitty.html

Post by Sleepingkitty »

I don't collect more than one copy of books (currently) I more or less buy books without thinking. Especially if it's clothbound, then I don't care what it's about, I just want to own it. :mrgreen: I love old books and cloth bound books, they're my favorite. And Barnes & Noble's leather bound editions, I guess you could say I collect those
The purpose of literature is to turn blood into ink- T. S. Eliot

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”