How big is your bookshelves?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Smblomker
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Favorite Book: so far all of the house of night series
Currently Reading: beautiful creatures
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3117

How big is your bookshelves?

Post by Smblomker »

I've been constantly adding more and more books to mine. All of them are books I haven't read yet. If I was to keep going I'm going to have to buy another bookshelf just to put more on them. I buy my books from Barnes and Noble online most of the time. I haven't gotten an ebook reader yet and can't afford to buy one yet.

Being that every book I read I write a review of it on my blog. I may have only started back in August but I'm close to having about 1000 views from people coming on to read what I've posted on it.

With so many books out there to read I will probably never get all I want to read. But, its one book at a time.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I have 4 shelves above my desk and 3 of them are full of books i have read/yet to read, i also have a chest of drawers and 3 of them are filled with magazines and books. Definitely before end of year im gonna get a box of old books and mags and hand them in to charity.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I have 4 bookshelf units (but 2 are fairly small) and about 10 of those plastic wheelie containers full of books ... a bedside locker & a 3 drawer deskunit at work all full of books. And nearly forgot the books on my Kindle.

I'm in negotiations with my 'resident handyman' trying to convince him to give me a full wall of bookshelves in the lounge in return for getting rid of the freestanding units & the plastic containers. Negotiations are at a delicate stage & progress is slow. :P
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Wow thats quite a lot of books there, Fran, the Kindle has the distinct space-saving advantage alright.
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I have a bookshelf with 4 shelves, 2 rows of books on each plus books lying on them horizontally and there is no place to put even one more in the bookshelf. So I need a new one immediatelly :shock: Plus a bookshelf with encyclopedias and dictionaries, also full. And I keep some old books which I read when I was younger at my parent's.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

I have a decent sized bookshelf, however I've started to buy books on my Kindle now so it's staying the same size.
~*~ Shay ~*~
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

I've had to clear out my bookshelf to make room for my daughter's books. Everything that I want to keep I have boxed and put in the attic. The rest went to a local doctor's office for the patients to read while they get their chemo.

I now keep all of my books on my nookcolor. It saves me so much space!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I have 8 bookshelves packed to the brim. I am hoping some time this year to convert an old spare room into a proper library with every wall being books from the floor to the ceiling. However being a terrible handyman I can foresee problems (holes in the wall where they are not meant to be, maybe a shelf falling down while you are reading :) ).
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

I have 8 or 9 shelves that of various sizes all holding books. Two above my bead are books bought but not yet read or finished reading. I also have books in various non shelve places. I think I've too many books now.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

There are bookshelves in almost every room in our house, literature of all shapes and all sizes and an e-Reader sits atop a stack of magazine.

The books date from early 1920's to 21st century and cover a wide range of genres and subjects from average to academic. They arrived from diverse sources like book fairs, for various reasons like hobbies. Their content is well known and they are frequently referred to during discussions. If any age group walked in, they would be able to find suitable reading material.

Why not donate to a literacy project - a book stored in a box is such a cheerless thing.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Maud Fitch wrote:There are bookshelves in almost every room in our house, literature of all shapes and all sizes and an e-Reader sits atop a stack of magazine.

The books date from early 1920's to 21st century and cover a wide range of genres and subjects from average to academic. They arrived from diverse sources like book fairs, for various reasons like hobbies. Their content is well known and they are frequently referred to during discussions. If any age group walked in, they would be able to find suitable reading material.

Why not donate to a literacy project - a book stored in a box is such a cheerless thing.
Good idea but i imagine books on serial killers and graphic gore-filled stories wouldnt be the most suitable material for such a project!
Fran

Post by Fran »

BooksByEssie wrote:I've had to clear out my bookshelf to make room for my daughter's books. Everything that I want to keep I have boxed and put in the attic. The rest went to a local doctor's office for the patients to read while they get their chemo.

In the attic .... I could never do that. My God they would be so lonely up there & I'd probably break my neck visiting!
No they have to stay where I can see them & run my hand along the spines as I pass through the room ... and stop for a chat while doing the dusting.
I know ... I probably do need treatment :P
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:
BooksByEssie wrote:I've had to clear out my bookshelf to make room for my daughter's books. Everything that I want to keep I have boxed and put in the attic. The rest went to a local doctor's office for the patients to read while they get their chemo.

In the attic .... I could never do that. My God they would be so lonely up there & I'd probably break my neck visiting!
No they have to stay where I can see them & run my hand along the spines as I pass through the room ... and stop for a chat while doing the dusting.
No you donl't need treatment, I am exactly the same, I have to read next to all my other books I dust them and talk to them, let them out of the shelf for a little run around. Hang on a minute, I think I need treatment. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

I have huge bookshelf that is currently puking up books becuse there are so many. About 700 or so in all. I need another one badly!!
Fran

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:

No you donl't need treatment, I am exactly the same, I have to read next to all my other books I dust them and talk to them, let them out of the shelf for a little run around. Hang on a minute, I think I need treatment. :D

Gannon ... do you think would we qualify for group discount? :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”